Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a recent thread about subframe connectors I am interested in installing a set of the full length ones. I am wondering about how the install process is done. I assume the originals would just be unbolted and then the new ones would be bolted on and welded. What kind of place would you take a car to have this done? I am assuming the car has to be up on a rack of course and I am assuming that somehow the installer has to be sure the car is set up in a way to be 100% straight and level. Could someone describe the process for me and how long it takes?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I had mine installed at a muffler shop. As long as they have the proper lift (on the wheels not the frame)it should be no problem.

Alan

·
Car Whisperer
20,787 Posts
Yep, anyone qualified to weld can do it and yes you do need it on a rack that holds the car on the wheels and NOT on the frame. I would suggest that you make sure they clean the area off good prior to the weld and then when they get done, spray the area with a good quality paint or spray undercoating to protect the exposed metal. there are several kind to go with and there are some that are not full frame ones as well that also help and do not reduce the ground clearance as much. Steeda as an example have both types.

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts
I agree with all the above. Just about anyone who can weld can do it. I recommend the Steeda Full Length ones. Go ahead and have them weld up the torque boxes/axle tubes while they are under there...

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have the maximum motorsports full length's on mine. They are great and really make a big difference. I would recommend taking it to a performance shop that has experience welding them in. That way, you get someone who has done it before, and you aren't trying to train the muffler shop guy on how to properly install sub frames.

That being said, I agree with eveyone else; anyone who can weld could do it, but you would probably benefit by going to someone with some experience. This may be especaily true if you plan to show your car with mirrors displaying the undercarriage.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Bullitt 3613 is already showing some launch-damage (doors not flush, etc). Is it possible to straighten out by putting on subs, or is it too late?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Jeff Laughhunn said:
Bullitt 3613 is already showing some launch-damage (doors not flush, etc). Is it possible to straighten out by putting on subs, or is it too late?
The subs won't do the straightening on their own. They will just prevent further twisting. When I had mine installed, the guy doing it noted that my car was still very straight, and that most aren't. The sooner you get them in, the better.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
MustangMarkus said:
I agree with all the above. Just about anyone who can weld can do it. I recommend the Steeda Full Length ones. Go ahead and have them weld up the torque boxes/axle tubes while they are under there...
Anyone have photos of their set ups?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I truly respect the work I had done at Houston Performance, on my son's B. But when I asked about subs, the guy said I didn't need full length, that the Kenny Brown cross's were all a normal Mustang needs. As I'm not mechanically-smart enough, I didn't push it. And didn't get them.
But I *want* full length. For both mine and my son's.
Maybe I'll call, and see what/if they quote on installing some Steeda's.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The Steeda's I want are the zincs. And they don't have the eight widgets the MM's do to weld on. Should be a lot easier to install, the way I see it.
If'n we do get the work done in H-town, while I won't quote you on the install price...
Can I tell my son we'll see a 2008 next time we're up there?

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
I should be around. Except for the weekend of February 9th, and February 22nd. I may also be unavailable the weekend of 15th. Two weekends are for my son's hockey games and one weekend is my annual golf/drink outing with the buddies. How's that for an answer?

We'll be having a GTG in February. Somewhere south this time so maybe you guys should come up.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Housotn Performance should be able to take care of you as others have said. Try to come up when we have a meet and swing by!

·
Registered
202 Posts
PhotoRick said:
I had Kenny Browns installed by Scott Hoag and crew at MRT.
Rick, do you recall what you paid at MRT for installation? I picked up a set of SFC's from GRC Performance that I'll be taking to MRT in the Spring for intall.

John

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Bullitt 736 said:
I should be around. Except for the weekend of February 9th, and February 22nd. I may also be unavailable the weekend of 15th. Two weekends are for my son's hockey games and one weekend is my annual golf/drink outing with the buddies. How's that for an answer?

We'll be having a GTG in February. Somewhere south this time so maybe you guys should come up.
So Charles what day does that leave that you CAN come.... :)

How about the 17th??

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
So Charles what day does that leave that you CAN come.... :)

How about the 17th??
Kind of busy huh?

I'll be in Denton February 9th and 10th so that's out. May need to check out the DFW guys.

Feb. 16th is out. First game at 4:00 pm but I'll have nine kids at the house. I'll be available February 17th. Last game is at 10:00 am so I could be on the road by 11:30 am. That should get me anywhere around Houston.

The weekend of the 22nd is out so if the 17th is good for everyone else I'm in.

If it causes problems for everyone else then I'll catch-up at the next one. Don't want to be a pain.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts