Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just finished installing JBA silver-ceramic coated headers, Magnaflow X-pipe w/cats and Magnaflow cat-back on my Bullitt.

First impressions are....HOLY ****!! I originally thought that I wouldn't be able to improve on the Bullitt's exhaust note BUT this rocks. It's about the same sound (level and quality) at idle but it gets about 2-3 times as loud as the stock Bullitt exhaust and is even deeper sounding at WOT. My butt-dyno tells me that I picked up a bit of HP/torque but I'll be taking my car to a real dyno to see how much in REALITY I gained. The car definitely pulls harder and quicker to redline now. As an added bonus, there is NO "Service Engine Soon" light on! Yeah, no MILS!!!!

Now for my question, the set-up stinks to high heaven! Is it normal for a new exhaust to smell like burnt oil? I don't smell it inside the car so I don't think that I have an exhaust leak. It seems to be improving (after about 30 miles of test driving) but it still stinks. Any one experience this?

Mark

P.S. I'll post the dyno results when I get 'em!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
The sound absorbing material used in the Magnaflow mufflers,is what the stink is all about. I put one on my 95 F-250 truck,and it did stink for a while,but will go away.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'm ready to get a high-flow catted X or H (I don't want mils and don't want to worry when smog inspection time comes) and have made up my mind on either the new Magnaflow highflow X or the MAC highflow H. I've heard both will work well with the stock exhaust.
What I'm looking for is mild TQ and HP gains, and the original Bullitt sound only LOUDER!!! I heard that X's give a smoother quieter sound, and H's are needed for musclecar sound.
Now that you have the headers, X and catback installed, how do you think the new Magnaflow catted X would do by itself?
Any input from anyone here would be appreciated.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Dennis,

It's hard to say how it would sound alone (the x-pipe w/cats). However, I was REALLY worried about losing the Bullitt sound and this combo allowed me to keep it only it's louder when I mash the GO pedal. It's also not the slightest bit tinny or raspy. Sounds like a muscle car. My feeling is try out the Magnaflow x-pipe w/cats and if you don't like the sound, sell it. Someone would definitely pick it up from you. Just advertise it on the corral or stangnet.

Best of luck!

Mark

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Thanks again Mark. I think I'll do that (as soon as the green is available).
I forgot to mention it before but will now...Congrats on the mods!...You've got the best total exhaust system I've seen yet. I'd love to hear it in person.
One more question...What made you decide on the Magnaflow Catback vs. the Magnapack? I've not heard either one but I think the -Pack is louder...more for racing?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the congrats. I decided against the Magnapacks after hearing .wav files of them over on Corral.net or Stangnet.net (can't remember which). They were FREAKIN' LOUD!!!! I wanted louder than the stock Bullitt but not obnoxious. The system I have now is PERFECT!

Tomorrow the Densecharger and Steeda pullies go on and then it's off to the dyno. After that is the rear suspension mods and in the spring...........SUPERCHARGER! Although I have a lot more research to do before I lay down that cash (don't want to grenade my motor).

Take care,

Mark

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I went with the MAC H-pipe and am very satisfied with the sound with the stock mufflers. There isn't much muffling going on inside those cans. Really sounds unique! Damn near the sound of the '68 Bullitt.

·
Registered
65 Posts
mjchip where did you puchase your exhaust and how much did it set you back?
What does MILLS mean?
Is it still smog legal?
Been trying to figure out what im going to do about mine. Just havent decided on anything yet. So far iv'e got Vortech Supercharger w/ aftercooler in my living room which will be installed soon as well as suspension pack. by Ground Control, Aluminum drive shaft, Tri-Ax shifter, and 18x9 rims in the rear. (going to be fun whooohoo!)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
seamuse,

I bought the exhaust from Houston Performance (X-pipe and cat-back) and the JBA headers from www.ssautochrome.com. I paid $453 for the headers (silver-ceramic coated P/N:1625-1JS) and $840 for the cat-back and x-pipe w/cats delivered by 3-day FedEx. I installed them myself. I plan on supercharging and want to open up the exhaust and intake first. The exhaust is now done and the intake comes next. I may look into extrude-honing the intake. Next spring I'll drop the cash on a S/C.

Mark

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is it easy to install w/ basic mechanical skill? All bolt up and no welding? Couldn't find headers on that website. Sounds like something I'd like to do. As for your Supercharging I did a lot of research on them and went w/ vortech.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-15 22:06, seamuse wrote:
Is it easy to install w/ basic mechanical skill? All bolt up and no welding? Couldn't find headers on that website. Sounds like something I'd like to do. As for your Supercharging I did a lot of research on them and went w/ vortech.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

seamuse,

1. Headers aren't on the website, call T.H. and ask him.

2. With the service manuals and basic mechanical skill it can all be done. However, the headers are a PITA, the rest of it is a piece of cake. I actually dropped the rear axle (per service manual) in order to take my stock cat-back exhaust off in one (actually two....left and right sides) pieces. There is no welding involved.

Mark

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-15 22:26, WERM wrote:
How much for just a Magnaflow X-pipe w/cats? Can I use it with the stock Exhaust. Will it sound/perform good with the Bullitt Exhaust?
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

1. $369 from Houston Performance (call steve)
2. Yes
3. Not sure....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts