Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone. i installed my Steeda Tri-Ax shifter Saturday. i took it to my buddy's house here in St. Louis who races a 98 GT. i have NEVER done any work myself to my cars since i was in High school/college ( and didn't think i could do it either)
He made me do everything myself but watched and told me things i needed to know as i was doing it.
he took some pics with his digital cam and gave me the disc( i emailed them to 1Nasty)and hopefully he can post a few pics of me actually doing the work so that some of you out there who aren't sure you can do it will see that it's relatively simple!!)
i'm still amazed that i did it!!! -LOL

2001 Bullitt DHG #648
Ford Racing Alum. Driveshaft(on order)
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter (on order)
Porterfield Carbon/Kevlar Brake Pads(on order)
MGWLTD-All custom Satin Bullitt Bits & Pieces

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mystang99 on 2001-08-27 10:03 ]</font>

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi mystang, congrats! So how do you like the shifter? I've been thinking about installing one in mine, but would like to get some opinions on the tri-axe and pro-5 shifters and their differences. I'm not crazy about the stock shifter and have heard that the others are much smoother. Question, can you put the stock aluminum (scorcerous ball of heated metal) back on? It can get hot but I like the look. :smile:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Oops, also where are you ordering your drive shaft from and for how much?

·
Registered
509 Posts
You can use the stock shifter ball with the tri-ax. Mine works great and the tri-ax definately makes shifting a lot more fun and efficient! I do my aluminum driveshaft from Ford Racing this week.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drive shaft and Tri-Ax from Ford Speed (shaft for 159.00 & tri-ax for 189.00 plus freight)
http://www.fordspeed.com
initial reaction is that it is noisier!!
i tried to follow roushraven's directions, but it's still a little noisier than i'd like. you can hear the tranmission "whine" more and there are some very faint "metallic" sounds that i'm not used to. especially at highway speeds.
this is my 1st aftermarket shifter. the reason i got it was because i drove my buddy's 98 GT with a Tri-Ax and i LOVED how precise it felt, the shorter throw, and the VERY tight "snik" "snik" it makes when going into gear.
when i got the Bullitt, i had a problem for 2 to 3 weeks making the 1st to 2nd shift (i kept hitting 4th) the tranny/shift pattern felt a little different from my 97 and 99 GT's tranny/shift pattern! 2nd gear in the Tremec seems to be just a hair more "towards" the driver than in the old tranny! now with the Tri-Ax, i have to get used to the pattern feeling a little different again!! i have found that i'm missing 2nd gear again!! it feels VERY different from the stock shifter.
i also realize that for YEARS i've been fighting/forcing/pushing my shifts into gear. with the Tri-Ax you need to learn to let the shifter do a little more of the work FOR YOU!! it will take a week or two to change YEARS of the way i've been thinking and shifting!
i like the tight feel and the "snik". i don't like it being noisier!!!

2001 Bullitt DHG #648
Ford Racing Alum. Driveshaft(on order)
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
Porterfield Carbon/Kevlar Brake Pads(on order)
MGWLTD-All custom Satin Bullitt Bits & Pieces

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mystang99 on 2001-08-27 17:08 ]</font>

·
Registered
204 Posts
Cool. I just ordered my driveshaft 5 minutes ago and should be here in a couple of days. I'm going on a road trip this weekend and installing it at a friends house, so hopefully I will be able to feel the difference on the way home. Thanks for the info. As for the shifter, I've been having problems going from 2nd to 3rd. It seems like it wants to hang up a bit, could be I'm trying to force it though. If only cars shifted as easy/nice as a motorcycle out of the box!!

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Ordered my Tri-Ax from Thunderbolt Motorsports last Monday and it was sitting on the door step at 10am Tuesday. Granted, they are in the same state, but to me that is exceptional. The cost is $169.95 delivered included (+ tax if you live in FLA).

Expect the install time to be about 45-60 minutes if you haven't done it before. That includes locating all you tools and something to knock the old shifter base lose with. Get some Black RVT at the auto parts store if you don't have any.

It does seem the 1-2 shift may be the hardest, you kinda have to keep it pulled toward you. 2-3 seems to go there by it self, just push up and let the springs do the work.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The 1-2 shift is a bit more difficult as the shifetr is sprung and gated to help you hit 3rd gear powershifting.

Brian

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ain't it just the best shifter! I had a B&M Ripper on my T-56 in my 98 Z28 and it is absolutely no where near the quality of the Tri-Ax.

Great stuff!

Paul G.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Cool, it looks like my next mod will be a Tri-ax after I get my drive shaft installed. Has anyone noted a significant difference after installing theirs?

·
Registered
264 Posts
A significant difference...definately! The shifter has a shorter and more positive throw as well as a handle that places it closer to you. If you are talking about the driveshaft...as well....a definite difference.

Paul G.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Woo Hoo!! I'm putting my drive shaft in this weekend and am really looking forward to the test ride afterwards. I've been reading a lot of opinions/facts about K&N filters and removing the silencers. I thought I felt a difference after removing the silencer, but someone mentioned in an old post that after removing the silencer (on a dyno) they lost HP. Is there a definitive answer out there?? Or will this debate go on forever? :smile: I'd hate to rob myself of any HP.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kurt, this old saying keeps poping into my head
"if it feels good,....DO IT!!"
pretty sure it was NOT originally said in reference to our Bullitts but..........

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i used the rubber as best i could. see the pics 1Nasty posted for me in the other topic!!
kurt, i'll be as honest as i can about how much i like the Tri-Ax. i loved it in my buddy's 98 GT he's had it for a year and races. but his seems easier to use/shift than my new one!
i'm having a little difficulty adjusting to mine but i like it none the less!! i hope that it "breaks in" a little as i use it more. it is noisier than i though but i can live with it! i think it's a good mod. if it has a small "break-in" period and gets "slicker". i'll like it even more!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Very good pics by the way! I will probably put one on mine within the next couple of months. I'm trying to sell my motorcycle so I'll have more cash to play with. Enjoy and I'm sure it will break in and smooth out soon enough. Just go and smoke a few Rice-Boys!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Don't forget that Pro 5 is now selling their TR-3650 shifter. I have the Steeda in my Bullitt but I have always been a Pro 5 fan. I have to agree with Mustang99. The Steeda is an improvement over stock but it does act like a tuning fork. My Pro 5 in past stangs felt really good and was pretty quiet. If I had it to do all over again I would have waited for the Pro 5. I did the "rubber" mod. It helped with noise but it still does not feel as good as my Pro 5 did.

John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts