Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to install new headlights on my 01 BULLITT...the originals have become cloudy and spotted inside. I'm going with new OEM Ford replacements and was wondering how hard would it be to do it myself rather than going to the Ford dealership. Need and respect your advice/opinions!
Thanks, Denny (HOOFPWR)

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
You have two little flat pins for each headlight. You pull them up and out and then wiggle the headlights out a bit to unplug them. Reverse procedure for installation. It takes about 5 minutes to do both.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
I replaced the headlights in my wife's 1998 GT convertible; it took my brother-in-law and me about 25 minutes to do and was dead easy. You don't need two people really, but it helps if at least one person has relatively small hands. This is the procedure I used http://www.mustangevolution.com/articles/200755/ I'd assume the '99-'04 Mustangs aren't that much different. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
AS with all DIY Bullitt projects this takes 3 people- one to install, one to hold the light, one to hold the beer.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
FCMCBULLITT said:
AS with all DIY Bullitt projects this takes 3 people- one to install, one to hold the light, one to hold the beer.
4 people unless your counting the beer holder as the supervisor in charge of the operation. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
jim253 said:
I replaced the headlights in my wife's 1998 GT convertible; it took my brother-in-law and me about 25 minutes to do and was dead easy. You don't need two people really, but it helps if at least one person has relatively small hands. This is the procedure I used http://www.mustangevolution.com/articles/200755/ I'd assume the '99-'04 Mustangs aren't that much different. Good luck!
They're much easier than that. No tools involved. One person operation...except for the other needed for above mentioned beer holding. :grin:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Even I was able to change them out easily! :lol:

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
I'm waiting for Collin to step up with his detailed photos of the process. :wink:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
sganow said:
So no headlight adjust necessary after changing them?
NO.

When you pull the headlights out there is no need for you to mess with the adjustment. If there isn't anything wrong with the adjustment now, then there shouldn't be anything wrong with the new ones.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Once you pull those 2 each retainers (thin sheet metal clips) that are like 6 inches long and bent over at the top. You should see them once the hood is open on the back side of the headlight itself. Little Black clips facing fwd. Pull those retainers, give the headlight assy. a snug pull fwd and bam it's out. Your really going to be surprised at how easy it is.

FYI are headlights are nothing like the article posted above!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Lower left corner, circled in white. There are two of those per light assy. Pull them straight up.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not to highjack this thread but.. where is the best place to get replacement headlights. I hit a deer a couple of years ago and just got the left replaced. Now the right is starting to show it's age and is need of replacement. I should of had them replace both at the same time, 20/20 hindsight.

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
steelfalcon29 said:
Lower left corner, circled in white.
Lower right corner Buck. That's okay, it's been a long day. :lol:

Bullitt4139, I've gotten my last 3 sets from Ebay. Just look for the style you want, check their prices and feedback, and order away. New OEM don't last any longer than aftermarket. However, they may be made in China. :eek:

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Bullitt4204 said:
Even I was able to change them out easily! :lol:
Step One: Obtain an Olive-Green Sharpie.............

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Not being funny but
if it takes you more that 5 or 10 mins to change both headlights, including cleaning and taking pics then
do try any further mods on your own.................

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Man I could have done it faster if I had the gloves on! :lol: All replacement light units I've bought (on Ebay) came with the headlight bulb in place already, turn signal bulbs had to be reused, however. My last set, that looked like the ones in the video, ran me about 84 bucks, plus 30 dollars shipping.

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
just bought a set of the black with the clear corners for mine, sealed them like they suggested and today....moisture inside the passenger side...WTH?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts