Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this is what i want to do...i just bought a 80G Ipod and want to put all my music on there....i have backed up all of my cd's onto my computer and have around 70G worth of music there now...i have it all sorted in folders by Genre/Artist/Album/Song...i want to keep this same file structure to put it on the Ipod...i will mainly be using the Ipod with my stereo on my truck and when i tried to copy the music with itunes it puts it all in one folder and then i have to search through 16k songs with no sub folders...this is why i had created the folder substructure on the computer this way...makes it much easier to decide which style of music...then the artist...then the album and so on...so my question is...is there a way to emulate the ipod as a harddrive or is there software that will let me do this? i'm really about ready to give up and take this back to the store...any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
There is a way to go into iTunes and "enable disk use" so that you can save and retrieve files from the iPod as a hard drive.

I don't think you can play the files through the iPod from this file structure though.

Does the stereo in your truck play mp3's from an external hard drive or were you planning on playing the iPod through the truck stereo?

Lammy

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it will play from external source...alpine supposedly has a adapter coming out that will allow usb to be connected but i've been told that it will only play from a thumb drive or mp3 player via the usb but not an external harddrive...i know back in the day they used to hook up external harddrives and this is what i really want to do...i brought the ipod back last night after it deleted half of my music...i'm going to contact alpine and tell them what i plan to do and see what they suggest....thanks for the input.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you still have all the songs saved as MP3s you can get some very large capacity external hard drives that are quite small and connect using USB.

Try the local BestBuy store.

Lammy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lammy you cant play them like that!

Make a playlist of all the songs from one artist or cd and then save it and upload it to the ipod!

Or while ur ipod is connected to the computer, you can add/edit playlists so then you can add/edit together whichever songs u want or albums u want..

The folders will not be shown but the playlists will!

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i have a 160gig ext. hard drive that has all my music on it...but i was told that the alpine headunit won't recognize it...i also understand the concept of using the playlists and stuff with the ipod but itunes takes over and does things the way it wants to do...and in the process deleted some of my music...it's not that important as i can burn the albums to discs as mp3's and play through the head unit...i just thought it'd be nice to have my 80gigs of music all there in one place without having to reburn cds when i buy a new album from the same artist or whatever...i might look into the non ipod brand mp3 players later but 350 bucks just have it erase my music is...ummmm...aggrivating to say the least...thanks for the info...keep it coming if anyone has any other experience with this.

·
3,389 Posts
I have the 80g as well and had the same frustrations.

If you enable the iPod to act as a USB hard drive, you will not be able to manage all the songs because they all have useless names within folders that make no sense....alla mac naming I'm guessing. You need to use iTunes to manage the playlists. Took me a while to get it all straight. I loaded a few CD's then played around with them to make sure I understand the full ins and outs of this iPod..... I still don't but seem to have everything somewhat organized now.
The reason I bought this thing was mainly for movies. The amount of traveling I do, and the amount of being stuck at airports I go through helps pass the time while watching movies.......it also enables you to miss what they are saying on the P.A. system about your next flight changing gates leaving you to enjoy the movies without interruptions! :lol:

·
3,389 Posts
Also something interesting about iTunes....
I had it give me trouble once AFTER all my songs were loaded and what happened was every time I tried to run iTunes it would give me an error saying "this program encountered an error do you want to send it to Microsoft, blah blah blah". I thought I'd have to re-install the full package possibly losing my setups... not true, all you need to do is download the latest Quicktime player, and it fixes the problem. Found this fix on an Apple web-site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts