Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
LOL, oh well, my black beauty knows she is the real deal. :smile:

:bullitt:

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Every part is readily available but supposedly if someone did change a GT into a Bullitt it would cost $8,000 in parts not including labor it they changed everything. That's why Ford put the ID tags on. They're having a horrible time with counterfeit 35th anniversary Mustangs which are easy to duplicate. At least ours, besides the halogram tag, has a unique paint job if you got DHG.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: barry bullitt on 2001-10-12 16:04 ]</font>

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hi all

I am a rookie to this site, although I am a true mustang fan and I do own # 1853. I want to add some of those cool additions that you all have on your names, (ie the photos and captions) How do I do that, (more specifically, where and on what page is the upload option at). Thanks, I will talk more when I get those additions added.

·
Banned
975 Posts
If someone can not buy the real thing. They will try to clone the Bullitt. I am building a 2002 V-6 Coupe for my youngest daughter. It will have the Bullitt Wheels and tires, It already has the side scoops from the factory, the grill was the first item she changed. Yes , it is not the real thing but she is happy and so am I.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Remember imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Replica Saleens, Cobras, Shelbys, etc are more common than you realize. If you see one appreciate it for what it is...A nice looking Mustang. It's all good.

·
Registered
835 Posts
We can repeat that prattle about imitation being flattery, but at least some of the fakers are nothing but thieves. My salesman told me that they had 2 Bullitts broken into and stripped of the various Bullitt trim pieces. Numerous other threads reported Bullitts arriving at dealers stripped of these parts. How many ended up for sale on eBay? Anybody who buys the stuff is then guilty of receiving stolen property. What about companies that produce Bullitt labeled items wiiithout the proper licensing?

Let's call tfakers what they really are - thieves!!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I think the hardest part of our Bullitts to clone is the c-pillar. Aside from that, I think the seats would be tough to copy too. The rest of the visual components, dash, gas cover, wheels, shifter ball, sill plates, etc., I've seen on E-Bay and other sites for sale. Let the cloners do what they want and line up next to me. I'll show 'em what a Bullitt really is. (Suddenly I've become Speed Racer! :grin: )

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great point, Karl. :smile:

:bullitt:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Who cares? My only concern would be as a future buyer. I wouldn't want to buy something that actually wasn't. Like a friends father buying a 2000 Impala LS which the dealer apparently told him was an SS (one SS badge on the trunk). We got into an arguement over the fact GM stopped making the Impala SS in 1996, but because he paid more money for a "2000 SS", he refuses to admit there is no such thing. He was lied to, taken advantage of & ripped off, but he doesn't seem to care. I sure would!

·
Registered
100 Posts
That's almost funny! A Front Wheel Drive 2000 Impala SS! It's hard to imagine a dealer perpetrating such a shenanigan. Then again, a 2000 Monte Carlo is essentially a 2 Door Impala and GM had the nerve to slap an SS moniker on that at the factory! As a former Camaro SS owner, it's almost sad what's been happening to the loyal competition. GM makes some nice trucks, but there's not much in the way of cars to look at over there once the F Bodies are gone.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-15 08:30, kfengler wrote:
There is one thing that someone wanting to clone a BULLITT can't buy on eBay, or any other site, the "X" in the VIN. Even if they put an engine in from a BULLITT! :smile:

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
The X in the 8th position of your VIN does not denote a Bullitt. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
There was a thread on this not long ago, but i dont recall what it meant. What I do know is that my 99 Saleen has an X there as well, so it's not just for the Bullitts.

·
Registered
835 Posts
X is the Bullitt engine code. Regular GTs have a W. My new Expedition has the 4.6L and a W for the engine code. The X must mean it has a modified 4.6L engine.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-16 22:37, TXBullitt wrote:
X is the Bullitt engine code. Regular GTs have a W. My new Expedition has the 4.6L and a W for the engine code. The X must mean it has a modified 4.6L engine.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
No, that is not correct.

Here is the VIN from my 99 Saleen, which was shipped to Saleen as a stock GT with a stock GT VIN.
1FAFP42X2XF195572, please notice the placement of the first X. For reference here is the VIN for my Bullitt.
1FAFP42X81F260352. As you can see, the X does not denote a Bullitt.
Edit: http://www.bullittclub.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=2496&forum=1

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Barnaby on 2001-10-17 00:08 ]</font>

·
Registered
835 Posts
What's not correct?

P42W is a Mustang GT with a 4.6L V-8
P42X is a Mustang GT with X as the engine code - namely Bullitts.

The 1st X in you VIN was the non-GT engine code for the 4.6L. The second X in you Saleen VIN has nothing to do with engine codes.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
So you're saying that my 99 Saleen had a Bullitt motor?

That car was shipped to Saleen as regular ole GT, no special engine, no special order to get a special VIN, nothing.

The following VINs are off eBay, all of which were listed as GTs.
VIN: 1FAFP42X6XF166219--99 GT
VIN: 1FAFP42X3YF158743--00 Saleen
VIN: 1FAFP42X4WF261733--98 GT
VIN: 1FAFP45X2YF161628--00 GT
VIN: 1FAFP45X9YF124026--00 Steeda
VIN: 1FALP42X8VF202931--97 GT

Does this help to show that an X as the 8th character does not indicate a Bullitt motor or a modified 4.6. For all we know there is a code somewhere in the VIN that indicates that it's a Bullitt, but it ain't the X.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts