Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on a Mustang cruse Saturday. I was about a hundred miles into the cruse when I thought that I would have a little fun! I'm not the fastest shifter , but I am not bad at doing it either. I missed 3rd gear again.
Is it me or is there other people have problems with the 2nd to 3rd shift?
Would a new Hurst shifter help or should I get a different driver:redface:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
you need a short throw

A ton of posts are around on this subject. Several brands available and I haven't heard any complaints from people that switched. I went with MRT's, but no matter which one you choose, you'll like it.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
2nd to 3rd without an aftermarket shifter takes more effort. I don't force mine, just push with my palm and it goes right to 3rd. Afterrmarket shifters have springs that move the shifter toward the center of the shift tree.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had more problems with the " notchy " shifter on my 2008 Shelby GT500.
Like Greg, I usually use my palm to shift from 2nd to 3rd.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Like Greg said- just push with your palm.
Too many people think you have to push up out of 2nd, push over and then push up into 3rd. And that's where the problems arise. By trying to manually pushed the shifter over you misalign the gate.
Just pop it out of 2nd, let the springs center the shifter and then palm it up into 3rd.
If you're wrapping your hand around the shifter ball you're gonna mess it up.

Finger tips and palm is all I ever use to shift with and never have any problems.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
It sometimes happens to me when I shift at a higher rpm. Like this morning, I decided to have some fun on a freeway ramp and shifted out of 2nd at approx 5500 rpm. 100% locked out of 3rd. Had to put it in 4th, no other choice, no matter how many times I pushed in the clutch or moved the stick around in the neutral "field" it would not go in 3rd. Meanwhile the car slowed down which ruined my fun, and then I choked in 4th like a dweeb :lol:

I don't remember this happening with my '05 or '06.

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MustangLynda said:
It sometimes happens to me when I shift at a higher rpm. Like this morning, I decided to have some fun on a freeway ramp and shifted out of 2nd at approx 5500 rpm. 100% locked out of 3rd. Had to put it in 4th, no other choice, no matter how many times I pushed in the clutch or moved the stick around in the neutral "field" it would not go in 3rd. Meanwhile the car slowed down which ruined my fun, and then I choked in 4th like a dweeb :lol:

I don't remember this happening with my '05 or '06.
I wonder if a new Hurst shifter would stop the lockout into 3rd

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am surprised. I have a MGW shifter in my Cobra and I can shift the bullitt just about as good. I have done a few high rpm , 2nd to 3rd shifts and chirping the tires. No problems shifting. But as mentioned above. The short throw shifters just push fwd (at a angle) with your palm. If you try to "look" for 3rd then I could see you missing.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I only miss third when I'm trying to look cool, which, in turn, makes me look like I just learned how to drive stick.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,321 Posts
1mach1 said:
I only miss third when I'm trying to look cool, which, in turn, makes me look like I just learned how to drive stick.
Amen on "trying to look cool." Happened to me pulling out of the dealership (showing off to a guy I'd been bragging to who I spied watching in my mirror). Missed 3rd bigger than sh**.... :redface: I'm sure he had a fine laugh out of it. Missed on the freeway trying to go from 5th to 4th too. Went into SECOND, rpms went through the roof for about a millisecond and scared the living bejesus out of me! :shock:

·
Registered
745 Posts
SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just break down, spend the bucks--have your dealer install the Ford Racing/Hurst Short Throw Shifter--NO warranty hassles, no mod hassles and NEVER miss 3rd gear again.........simple...as the Nike folks say...Just do it!

·
Registered
745 Posts
BlackPony said:
Would a new Hurst shifter help or should I get a different driver:redface:
Yes as helped by Hurst (or MGW wtc)...and its not you--nice and easy does it with the stock shifter for 2-3--it goes right in with a gentle hand or palm. But if your shifting fast coming up through the gears..it just sees to get missed sooo easily.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Whammer said:
Like Greg said- just push with your palm.
Too many people think you have to push up out of 2nd, push over and then push up into 3rd. And that's where the problems arise. By trying to manually pushed the shifter over you misalign the gate.
Just pop it out of 2nd, let the springs center the shifter and then palm it up into 3rd.
If you're wrapping your hand around the shifter ball you're gonna mess it up.

Finger tips and palm is all I ever use to shift with and never have any problems.

I am having a much easier time shifting 2nd to 3rd now since I started doing this. When I used to grab the shifter the whole way it was always rough.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mustang 3 said:
SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just break down, spend the bucks--have your dealer install the Ford Racing/Hurst Short Throw Shifter--NO warranty hassles, no mod hassles and NEVER miss 3rd gear again.........simple...as the Nike folks say...Just do it!
Agree totally. I put a Hurst shifter in my 05 GT, my daily driver. I am having difficulty adjusting to the Bullitt shifter. I will remove the Hurst from the 05 and install it in the Bullitt.

More important to have precise shifts in the Bullitt than the daily driver. Beside, the Hurst is really notchy and hard to shift in winter until the oil in the tranny warms up.

·
Registered
162 Posts
walc said:
I had more problems with the " notchy " shifter on my 2008 Shelby GT500.
I guess, I'm the one, who doesn't know how to drive.
I really like the shifter in my Bullitt. :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
walc said:
I guess, I'm the one, who doesn't know how to drive.
I really like the shifter in my Bullitt. :confused:

I like the Bullitt shifter too, but then again this is my first manual car, so what do I know? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
162 Posts
BB2008 said:
I like the Bullitt shifter too, but then again this is my first manual car, so what do I know? :rolleyes:
Ken,
I guess we're not genuine Bullitheads.
:lol:

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Short Throw Shifters......................

walc said:
Ken,
I guess we're not genuine Bullitheads.
:lol:
Hello Fellow Bullittheads,

The Stock Shifter in the Bullitt works just fine with everyday driving.

I think where members run into this Shifter Problems is when they are turning in excess of say 5,000 RPM and Up........

Then the Stock Shifter is with (Longer Throws) & (Milder Springs) is just not up to that Task.

There are many Great Shifters on the Market that handle Higher Rpm Shifts better than the (Stock Bullitt) Shifter.

But again, it all depends on what you are doing with your Bullitt in everyday driving.

I think I am going to go with the MGW Shifter as it is a (Quality Piece) and I really like these Features it has.

(1) Adjustable Height for Shifter:

(2) Fully Adjustable Shift Throw:

This I really like in the MGW as it can be as Little as 30% Shorter than Stock Throws between Gears. Or as much as 50% Shorter Throws between Gears. And you have a choice of using the Stock Ball or using a Custom Shift Ball from MGW.

There are Many Many threads & Post on IMBOC about Short Throw Shifters.

If you like the Bullitt Shifter and just drive your Bullitt in a more normal, NON Race, High RPM Shifts, then you will probably be just fine with what comes in the Bullitt from Ford.

Terry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts