Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vicki,
Did the Bill get the 2000 Cobra R? I saw one of your other posts and you were saying he was polishing the "R".....
If if did it sure didn't take you all every long to find one and buy it..... I'm glad he found one. Hope you don't mind me asking, "how much did it cost and where did you get it"? "How many miles and stuff like that and do you drive it much"
I a nut shell tell us all about wildest mustang ever built and the fun your having.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I bought my Bullitt from Tri-City Ford in Eden N.C. in August and they had an R in their showroom. They mentioned to me at the time that they figured it would be hard to unload given the shape of the economy. Maybe it's still there if anyone is interested.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,028 Posts
Well, yes Jimmy, hubby and 2 other guys from our Club here hauled a trailer over to the coast (250) miles away to pick up the 2000 Cobra R another member found for us at a dealership still on the showroom floor, mind you. It was still sitting there after a whole year! The owner of the dealership owned it and put on only 500 miles. The price was $55,000 but he took off $1,000 as the hood is cracked from someone there shutting the hood wrong. They ordered a factory hood (fairly easy as they only made 1 color-Performance Red). We will save the original hood in the garage, and will have to get 3 stickers for the underside of the new hood. So out the door with sales tax it was $60,000!

Bill has put on 175 miles on her so far in 3 days. He has let 3 guys from the club take her for a spin and he has taken numberous other people for rides. He wants to enjoy the ride and share the R with all other Mustang enthusiasts who have never seen one let alone sit in one! We will take her to shows and drive her around town letting people gawk and drool. You should see their faces when Bill opens the hood to show the engine compartment! It is HUGE!!!! Their jaws drop and everyone always says, "OH sh*t!" when they look in!

"SVE had to install a bulging hood to squeeze its 32-valve V-8 into the Mustang."
The owner gave us the double ought zero decals that go on the hood and driver's door. We took off the front splitter and have it in the basement and will try to find an after market one. They are like $1,000 for one and very hard to find as all the race driver's bought all of them from Ford to replace theirs from wrecks during racing.

We have to get new tires right away as the factory ones are soft 18" racing tires and pick up everything and throw it onto the paint.

It's got Rekaro seats, back seat delete, radio delete, and air delete. The trunk has no mat(full size spare tire) and there is no insulation anywhere. No antenna. Pretty generic inside. 6-speed (pretty tight shifting).

Brembo brake rotors and calipers, Tremec T56 for the tranny, Eilbach and Bilstein for the susupension, and Borla for the exhaust. (I love the 2 pipes on each side of the car ahead of the rear wheels).

It will lay rubber through the three gears and the only time there is NO rubber is during the shift!

My first impression from my first ride in it was that it rode rough. When Bill started the engine, I could feel the vibration in the floor board. The exhaust at idle is not loud at all--only when you gun it. In fact, the Bullitt seems louder while start up. The "power dome" hood was necessary to clear the intake and there is no function as the splitter and spoiler are functional. The spoiler is 7 1/2" high. "The wing is worth two full seconds on the test track."

Only 300 were produced and most of them were bought up by collectors and race car drivers.

Oh ya, each R engine was hand built. 385 hp and torque at the rear wheels. Probably 440hp at the flywheel? The speedometer goes to 180 and starts at 20. The rear facia is from the V-6 as the Cobra mask has tailpipe cutouts and the R has side-exiting exhaust. The only Cobra R badges are on the 18-inch wheels-the body is blank. It has a cobra emblem on the sides. On the front is a running pony. Power windows and airbags.

It redlines at 6,800 rpms. Hubby needs some practice in learning what the R can do. When we go to the show in Bellevue, Wa this summer, there is someone there that will show Bill how the Cobra R was meant to be driven!
Sorry to ramble on and on but Jimmy asked! :smile:

Vicki

·
Registered
340 Posts
One word ... sweet!!!

When you have a chance, could we get pictures? Basically every angle.

Thanks

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,028 Posts
For sure! When I get a chance as I don't have a digital camera yet. I will have to bug neighbor again probably. Hubby is going to put the splitter on for pics when there is a nice sunny day and I will get pics with it on and off. And some with the Bullitt along side too!

·
Registered
724 Posts
If you want to buy another Mustang, I have a buddy in Issaquah selling his '93 GT. He told me it wasn't doin a damn thing but depreciating!

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Very KEWL Vicky,

I know my Dealer still has one. It had the hood repaired for the same reason;-)... Hood was shut wrong. Maybe I should ask them to let me drive it since they are still working on #227;-)...

Hope you had a good weekend.

Bud

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,028 Posts
Oh! I just wanted to add something that I forgot to mention about the R. She performs best once she's warmed up real good. Isn't that the truth ladies?!!!! :wink:

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,028 Posts
Yup! that's exactly what she looks like! Hubby is getting chrome wheels (they're on order). He will save the originals with the original tires in the basement. He's going to put a snake on the front grill too.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Now THAT is an awesome car!! I have never seen one before until now. If I only had an extra $60,000 laying around.... :smile:

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
TwoStangWmn,You and your husband are two very lucky people,to own two of the BEST Mustangs EVER! I first saw the R when it was unveiled at the 35th Mustang Annivesery show at Charlott NC. If I ever get out that way,wouldn't mind getting a ride at all. I know the emotions that you all felt,when you picked it up. Felt the same way,back in 1970,when my brother and I picked up his 70 Hemicuda at the dealer!! Many congrats!!!!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2001-11-13 20:26 ]</font>

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,028 Posts
Chalmers, the spoiler is my favorite part on the Cobra R! The spoiler is functional as at 50 mph it puts an additonal 300pds of pressure on the back wheels for control during racing......:smile:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts