Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see everyone scrambling to replace the shifter in their Bullitts. My question: is the shifter really that sloppy? Granted, the shifters in the old T5 wasn't great by any stretch, but I happen to think the stock shifter is pretty good. Maybe it's because I have very little experience in what a "good" shifter is.

But really, what benefits do you get by going to the Tri-Ax or the Pro 5.0? What's the big deal about adjustable stops? Other than that it seems like there are negatives (more heat transmission). Could someone explain this to me? And also tell me why the stock shifter is so horrible?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Gibscreen, don't know where you live but if you live in the metro Atlanta area you are welcome to drive my Bullitt and check out a Pro 5. I had the Tri-Ax but sold it because I have a preference for the feel of a Pro 5.0. Both shifters are orders of magnitude more precise that the stock shifter. Once you have had one you can't go back to stock. You can get either shifter from www.fordspeed.com at the best price around.

John

·
Registered
393 Posts
I kinda like the stock shifter on the Bullitt. It's much better than the stock shifter that came on my 98 cobra. I'll probably leave it alone.

But, if you do get a pro 5.0, replace the handle that comes with it. It's too short causing you to "reach" for the knob. MGW LTD. makes a nice angled handle with an insulating rubber washer to reduce vibrations and noise. It's what I have on the 6 speed Cobra, and it works great.

·
Registered
62 Posts
One of the main reasons that people are going to an after market shifter other than the shorter through and the more precise action is the adjustable stops. An adjustable stop is a lock nut that set at the base of the shifter to prevent the shifter from moving any farther than it is supposed to. The stock shifter does not have these stops and as N8TR can attest to, one hard shift to second and you can bend a shift fork and loose a transmission. The shift forks in this new tranny are made of fairly thin aluminum and can bend very easily. With this in mind, I feel that these shifter’s pay for themselves for insurance and the shorter throw and better feel into and out of the gates is just an added bonus.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
good point Rob! i was NOT unhappy with the stock shifter. it was better than my 97 or 99 GT. but once i drove my Buddy's 98 GT with a Tri-Ax (that's set up for racing) i found i couldn't stay happy with the stock one!

hey Rob, do you have any pics of your 914? believe it or not, the 914 is one of my favorite old cars. (knew a girl in college with one....sigh)that car was SO much fun to "toss around" when in tune and well maitained. a cherry 914-6 is on my "short list" of dream cars!!!

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
thanks!! feel free to email a couple if you find any and have time!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts