Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please let me know if you see any reason not to try this. In the pics you can see I nailed a short piece of 2x10 on a longer piece of 2x10 and both have a 45 degree angle on them. I have 2 of these and want to drive the front wheels up on the top board. I just want to get the car up to do a little detailing underneath. I did glue a couple of rubber strips on the bottom of the long board to minimize slippage when I drive up on it. My plan is to straighten the wheels, set each set of boards just touching the front wheels, then back off a little and then go forward and just let the car coast up on the boards.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Try it with complete confidence.

I did something similar but I kept the lower boards 8 feet long and let them stick out the front (away from the car). Then I could bump the longer boards against a wall or curb and slipping was impossible.

The only issue you could have is if the nose of your car is lower than the height of the top of the upper block (3"). Then the nose could hit the upper block before the tire gets onto the lower block and adds clearance height.

Always remember to chock the wheels whenever you raise one end of the car higher than the other no matter how slightly.

People bolt set-ups like this onto their car trailers all the time so the car doors will open and clear the trailer fenders when the car is loaded onto the trailer. Usually there are blocks set up front and rear.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Why don't you just buy some ramps? Avaliable just about everywhere for little $$ and will get the car up high enough to do detailing /oil changes etc.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I bought the rhino ramps (12000) at wally world. I've been happy with them - good incline. I have a mach 1 chin spoiler, and it doesn't scrape.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
dennisbaker said:
Please let me know if you see any reason not to try this. In the pics you can see I nailed a short piece of 2x10 on a longer piece of 2x10 and both have a 45 degree angle on them. I have 2 of these and want to drive the front wheels up on the top board. I just want to get the car up to do a little detailing underneath. I did glue a couple of rubber strips on the bottom of the long board to minimize slippage when I drive up on it. My plan is to straighten the wheels, set each set of boards just touching the front wheels, then back off a little and then go forward and just let the car coast up on the boards.
You got a good idea. If you go to www.mustangworld.com then go to their "How To" section you'll see some ramp plans there alot like the ones you've made. I already made a set and I use them all the time. Perfect driveway setup for sure. I always chock the wheels. I've always felt safe using them.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took a look at the ramps on the mustangworld web site. Maybe I was not ambitious enough!! By the way, why do I need to chock the wheels if put the emergency brake on?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
dennisbaker said:
I took a look at the ramps on the mustangworld web site. Maybe I was not ambitious enough!! By the way, why do I need to chock the wheels if put the emergency brake on?
I almost had a car fall on me once long ago. This car was on a 2-part (front and rear frame engagement) exhaust lift that was supposedly NEW and good to go (but wasn't) and I barely got out of the way in time. I'll never forget it as long as I live.

Years later we were working on a vehicle on what was supposed to be a "flat level surface" and didn't have the rear wheels chocked. My partner told me he had set the e-brake (he had never been wrong before). Later this car rolled back while on stands. I was fast enough to move out of the way. Luckily the front wheels were back on. IT WAS FREAKIN' CLOOOOOSE ! I'll probably have nightmares about that all the way in to the after-life.

NEVER ... NEVER ... NEVER AGAIN will I work on a vehicle and not chock the wheels. Too easy to do ... don't matter if the brake is on or not ... don't matter how strong your stands are or how many you're using. I will always use wheel chocks or just won't work on anything until I get something that looks like good chocks for BOTH wheels.

Another thing to pass on ... You ever see any old railroad ties being disposed of ... ??? These make real good safety stops to put under the front or sides of a car when you got it up on ramps and/or jackstands. The thickness of the ties are just big enough to keep a car from falling on your face when you are underneath looking up and working on something (like stabbing a 4-speed) , they are strong enough to break the car's fall in most cases, and if the car does fall they are soft enough to absorb the initial shock and not damage the body, etc. They also allow enough room thereafter to put a scissor or floor jack under to jack the car back up if it does fall (after you cleaned your shorts).

Just cheap insurance ... How often do you get something that safe and good that samebody else was going to throw away ... ???

Again ... just some safety thoughts. GOOD LUCK ~ !!!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely use the chocks.

·
Premium Member
18,830 Posts
Sounds and looks good, Dennis.

Just to add, an additional wooden stop (2X4) could be added to the top board(s) so that you don't accidentally drive over the ramp possibly causing damage to the mud flap(s).

:smile:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts