Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across these unique rear end gears that were mentioned in this month's edition of 5.0 mag. It says these gears are treated with an Isotropic Superfinish (?) process that gives the gears a multitude of advantages. Most notably, the gears have a greater endurance and claim to have an increased power output over just regular machined gears. You can find the site here:

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showpost.php?p=838245&postcount=1

and also here:

http://www.parkwayperformance.com/driveline.asp#Gears

I was just wondering if anyone else had any dealings with these. Sounds like they are completely new to the industry, and if they got a section in 5.0, then it should be some good stuff. I plan on upgrading my gears sometime, and if the ISF process actually does all of the things it claims why the heck not? For only another $25 I can have piece of mind that I bought the best gears available. Any opinions? They certainly look nice in the pictures.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Without even looking at the links, I would offer you this piece of advice......
Ford Racing Gears are just fine for our applications and 25.00 more for something else should not be your main concern.......

You main concern should be the quest to find someone that can AND WILL install them CORRECTLY with the proper pre-load and shims and do a professional job. Proper installation is the key to longevity.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Looks like they are Ford gears, I agree spend the extra cash for the treated.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
P-51 Bullitt said:
Without even looking at the links, I would offer you this piece of advice......
Ford Racing Gears are just fine for our applications and 25.00 more for something else should not be your main concern.......

You main concern should be the quest to find someone that can AND WILL install them CORRECTLY with the proper pre-load and shims and do a professional job. Proper installation is the key to longevity.
P-51 is absolutely correct. Some of the best advice I've seen given on here.

Regardless of any special coatings, machining processes, etc., if you don't set the ring and pinion pattern properly then they are always going to whine (or worse) more than the original factory-installed gears.

If you decide to do this yourself and without much experience then be prepared to:

1. Be VERY patient,

2. R & R the assembly more than once until you get the pre-load right. Although you may get the pattern of the pinion gear in the middle of the ring gear, this may not always be the best pattern for those particular gears/gearset. Each set has it's "proper place" and it takes a lot of experience to know how to get this right this first time sometimes. Unfortunately, sometimes the only way to tell this is after you get the gearset assembled, get all the lube in there, and then go for a drive and see if it whines real loud or not.

3. Get the best quality matched set you can. A pinion gear from one set may not match up with the ring gear out of another set even if both sets are the same ratio, and DONT EVER mix and match manufacturers gearsets just to save a few bucks or because you might be in a hurry.

GOOD LUCK ~ !!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts