Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading a lot of things about the difference in power of the GT to the BULLITT. IT doesn't make sense to me that are cars are only a little bit stronger than a stock GT. Dyno tests on a GT with an aftermarket cat-back system have shown gains that put it right in the ball park with the BULLITT's horsepower. The BULLITT already comes with the free flowing exhaust which should negate the effects of an aftermarket cat-back. If you put underdrive pulleys on a stock GT you have a dead heat in power and torque. IT just doesn't make sense that with the intake, dual throttle bodies, Performance Improved heads and retuned computer that we don't have more power. Somewhere in there there has to be a weak link that is preventing everything else from maximizing it's potential. Could it be heat soak from the metal intake, or casting flash causing airflow loss? I don't know, but it doesn't seem right that an exhaust and pullies will help the GT make the same power as the BULLITT with so many more performance pieces.

Eric

·
Registered
88 Posts
Eric,
I ran a [email protected] in Atlanta this past weekend in stock trim.I was thinking of a gear swap (3.73). I'm concerned with the power of the Bullitt as well.Also heard that the bullitt is heavier than the standard GT due to cast intake heavier sway bars and bigger brakes?Did you obtain track times in stock trim? Thank god the car has good suspension, brakes and good looks.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-02 19:23, BULLITT00208 wrote:
I have been reading a lot of things about the difference in power of the GT to the BULLITT. IT doesn't make sense to me that are cars are only a little bit stronger than a stock GT. Dyno tests on a GT with an aftermarket cat-back system have shown gains that put it right in the ball park with the BULLITT's horsepower. The BULLITT already comes with the free flowing exhaust which should negate the effects of an aftermarket cat-back. If you put underdrive pulleys on a stock GT you have a dead heat in power and torque. IT just doesn't make sense that with the intake, dual throttle bodies, Performance Improved heads and retuned computer that we don't have more power. Somewhere in there there has to be a weak link that is preventing everything else from maximizing it's potential. Could it be heat soak from the metal intake, or casting flash causing airflow loss? I don't know, but it doesn't seem right that an exhaust and pullies will help the GT make the same power as the BULLITT with so many more performance pieces.

Eric
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Let me see if I can help explain.

The pullies on the Bullitt are only on the water pump and alternator, not the crank. So the increae there is marginal at best.

The exhaust are the same with the exeption of the mufflers and tips. Probably not much there either.

If your engine is already getting enough air, then a higher flowing TB won't help. GTs with bigger thottle bodies are also picking very minimal gains.

The intake. Has anyone flowed one of these things? Runner length? I would bet that until someone really digs into the intake and figures out what to do all it will do is change your torque curve and raise it a little.

The heads are the same as 01 GTs, so that's a wash.

Hotter ECU probably isn't that hot. I would bet that it *may* bump up the timing, but not much since it still recommends regular unleaded.

I think there is some hidden power in the intake, but everything else is GT.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
The Heads on the Bullitt are the same as the 99-01 GT. From looking at this whole deal,I think the Bullitt intake enhances torque down low and into the midrange. This increase would likely go up in smoke on the strip with stock tires. Maybe that's why mine are spinning so hard on the 1-2 shift! Anyway,I plan on setting up my intake on a flow bench,over the winter,and flow rate all runners seperately......looking for a couple of low ones. Might even try to beg and borrow a 99-2001 GT plastic intake to compare! That would be interesting! I then plan on cleaning up the runners and radius all air entry points.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barnaby,

I have heard that the BULLITT has the PI or Power Improved heads. Are these the same as the 2001 GT? Somehow I had the impression that they were slightly different.
I know we only have the two underdrive pulley's and the one tha should make the biggest difference is the crank pulley. The one we don't have.
The stock exhaust on the BULLITT is supposed to breathe 20% better than the GT's. That should be good for about 5 Peak HP alone.

It seems to me that the intake isn't giving the improvement in power that is should. Unless, these motors are reaching there N/A power limit, the increased airflow of the BULLITT intake should show some good gains.
Maybe when soemone gets the intake polished up we will see.

Mustang,

I didn't do any runs in with the stock configuration. I already had the gears installed. My times should have been better, but my driving skill was poor. (I was shifting too slow and late in the rpm range)

Eric

·
Registered
835 Posts
The PI heads are Bullitt only. Standard and Premium GTs don't have them. Maybe the cams aren't exactly opotimized for the airflow.

The intakes are definitely different. We have most of the same set up as the new Lightnings. Take a look sometime.

Weight is not that different.

The HP is hiding in there somewhere.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think I saw one of the BC members say that they worked in the engin department for the explorer.Maby he can talk to someone at work and find out where the horses are in the mustang department.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I couldn't agree more.
As a fellow fanatic/enthusiast, somethings not being told, to the end user i.e. Bullitt owners. I've spoke with FRP about the heads/intake, portmatched was all they would admit to, said they were "NOT" the FRP units. I'd have to agree on the intake flow disparities, and the computer, regular unleaded w/ dual 57mm throttle bodies? Come on that the same as my old 96 cobra. What if anything can really be done. Extrude hone $1,200, how about some larger injectors, we have supposedly more air flow and fuel too, doesn't make allot of sense 5HP. Someones not telling us something.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
The first trip out to the track for me netted two 14.92s one with a 94.xx mph and the other with a 95.90mph. Trip number two was better a 14.37 and a 14.41, best trap 97.99mph. Trip number three was a one run deal a 14.17 @98.45. Trip number four, another one run night produced a [email protected] (K&N in for this run.)

I was the first to question what the hell was wrong with my low trap speeds. Then all of a sudden it picked up. The car has 2600 miles on it now and I am now confident it is making the power it should.

Give it some time, take it to the track some more. I wouldn't mod it until you see what it's gonna do.

Obviously theres something missing. Theres cars out there that run 13.50 and trap at almost 102. This is what they should do.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-10-02 23:35 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-02 22:04, TXBullitt wrote:
The PI heads are Bullitt only. Standard and Premium GTs don't have them.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
The PI heads have been on all GTs since 99. According to what I have read here, there seems to be concensus that they are port matched to the intake. Unless they are hand built I would highly doubt it. But I have not taken the intake off of one to tell yet.

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
mystang spopke with some Ford engineers at the St Louis Mustang even in the spring and was told by them and some of the racers who I assume were test cars for Ford said that they have been runing the "Bullitt" engine the laast few years and said the power is there. They said after 4,000miles get the intake honed out, get a custom chip burned for YOUR car, and then see what you get. He posted the whole conversation awhile back. I've seen where stock Bullitts are running in the 13's in some mags and some people on here. The more miles you get the better it feels, at least mine is anyways.
Cam

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
mystang spopke with some Ford engineers at the St Louis Mustang even in the spring and was told by them and some of the racers who I assume were test cars for Ford said that they have been runing the "Bullitt" engine the laast few years and said the power is there. They said after 4,000miles get the intake honed out, get a custom chip burned for YOUR car, and then see what you get. He posted the whole conversation awhile back. I've seen where stock Bullitts are running in the 13's in some mags and some people on here. The more miles you get the better it feels, at least mine is anyways.
Cam

BTY - heres the post!
http://www.bullittclub.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=38&forum=1

·
Registered
209 Posts
I know there are a lot of BULLITTS out there that have over 5,000 miles on them. Has anyone done any of these suggestions by Ford Racing? And if so, are they smiling any bigger now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts