Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That my home in Florida was broken into and my car stolen.

I was 1,000 miles away, my second day at a new job in Michigan. My daughter called me in a panic after getting home from school. She was the first one home after the break in. Thank God they had come and gone by the time she got home. She had already called her mother (who was at work in Orlando) as well as the police. I know she was dreading calling me to tell me the news, but as long as she was safe, nothing else really mattered at the time.

I let my employer know what happened. They were very understanding - they told me to take as much time as I needed to go home and get things taken care of. I bought a plane ticket on-line and waited until I was able to fly home. To say I was anxious was an understatement. I felt completely helpless being so far away. (and I realize that those of you who remember this story probably didn't realize that I was not in town. I purposely held this fact back. I didn't want the thieves to know I wasn't going to be living there on a regular basis for a while).

The one thing t hat I did while I was waiting for my plane was to start this thread on www.IMBOC.com. http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141736&highlight=stolen

I didn't expect anything to really come of it, but it was SOMETHING. Not much, but SOMETHING.

From that original post, the story spread like wildfire across the internet. I can't even tell you the number of message boards that this would up on. The one message board that REALLY mattered was www.fuelslut.com. One of the members there (as I was not a member at the time) cut and pasted my IMBOC thread to their board which is local to Central Florida. People expressed their sympathies as expected but again, I didn't expect much else.

I was amazed when I learned that one one of the members of Fuelslut (Curtis - AKA Droptop Snake) actually saw my car racing motorcycles up and down 436. He recognized my car from the pics and called the police. The police pursued the perp but couldn't keep up. Curtis was frustrated because he laid back and let the police do their thing but the fact that the couldn't catch my car ****ed him off to no end. If he would have stayed with my car instead of doing the right thing and lettting the police do their jobs then he was certain that he wouldn't have gotten away. It was at that moment that MY car being stolen became personal for Curtis - a guy I had never even met.

I could go on and on about this, but the threads tell the story. Here is the thread from their board:http://www.fuelslut.net/vbulletin/general-forum/79403-stolen-mustang-lookout.html

The outpouring of support from across the internet community amazed me and my wife. To feel this after being violated like we were literally restored our faith in humanity. If I was not out driving around looking for my car, I was on the boards, scouring them for news. People were taking time off work to look for my car. Burning their own time and gas for a stranger. My fellow Bullittheads were doing the same thing. KevTrish in particular spent many hours looking, texting me with updates, urging me to not give up hope.

Ultimately, I got my car back thanks to Curtis and his Fuelslut friends. I won't even begin to try and tell the story as I can't even begin to do it justice, you need to read the thread I posted. I still go back and read it occasionally, and I get goosebumps every single time.

And even bigger and better than the fact that I got my car back was the story that goes along with the recovery. There were a couple of Fuelslut cars damaged during the process. There was an effort undertaken on this board to try and raise a few bucks to help those guys out. We were hoping to raise enough money to pay their deductable - maybe $500. Brad (9 MM Bullitt) I want to thank you personally for heading this efort up. Here is that thread: http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141877&highlight=donations

Well, the generosity of you Bullittheads and many many other car communities across the internet amazed me once again. Not only was enough money raised to pay the deductable, there was enough raised to fix the $4K worth of damage without even going through his insurance company. There was around $4400 raised. I still can't believe it. I want to thank each and every one of you who donated. I can't express this enough.

The leftover money was used to buy wings and beer for the Fuelslut guys. This happened after my car was back on the road so they could see what they put themselves and their cars on the line for. Can't find that thread right now, as I am getting ready for work, but I will try and find it later.

I guess I just want to recognize this date and give a heartfelt thanks to EVERYONE who was involved or supported me and my family in any way during that difficult time.

Car guys ROCK!!!

·
Registered
565 Posts
I still tell people this story whenever I have a chance to talk at length about IMBOC and online car ownership clubs in general.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Wow!!!

I've spent the better part of the day catching up on this. Grats on getting the B back and damn, IMO, the best part was the other car guys jumping onboard and doing what they did. (the guys on FS especially).

·
Premium Member
18,861 Posts
TwoStangWmn said:
Kevin, had you thought about contacting a Mustang magazine for a story?
Ditto!

It doesn't seem like it's been a year.

A truely amazing story to say the least, Kevin.

:)

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I remember this like it was yesterday, some very interesting stories to say the least.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I remember it well. It was just before I flew to Alabama to pick up #0005 and it scared me enough to drive straight through all the way home. It also showed what a great community this website is.....John R :cool:

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
Very nicely worded and oh so true.

Seems like it was yesterday as I feel quite sure it does to you too Kevin. I remember reading multiple times during the day about it and posting info on other sites. The mission that the FuelSlut guys took upon themselves was truly amazing with it being even more so when they got the car back.

I know the story was forwarded to at least one magazine but I am shocked that none picked it up. This is a story of car people coming together almost like no other.

It may be the anniversary of the theft, but soon you will have the anniversary of the recovery....maybe time for another meet for wings and to renew those thank yous and friendships.

Thanx for sharing with us again so we can all appreciate what you went thru and how a bunch of carnuts came thru in the end.

Kevin, you and your family deserved all the help you got, not all would appreciate so much what others did and not say it so eloquently as you did and have.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
A whole year already!
Still one of the most inspiring car stories you will ever hear.

We should mark the "Recovery Day" anniversary with another Florida Bullittheads get together.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Wow, I can't believe that was a year ago, and still can't believe the story in itself. I remember reading through the story as it happened. Glad to hear the FuelSlut guys got well taken care of.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Any Bullittheads that don't know what this story is all about should definitely sit down, grab a beer or two, and read through the threads that Kevin linked to. Truly an amazing story.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss, but glad to hear about recovery. I can only imagine the anxiety and frustration you must have felt. Aside from that, you just made my day though, is great to hear about people pulling together to help each other out, especially when they didn't know each other previously.

Reminds me quite a lot of an event that happened here in my home town a couple months back.

Cliffnotes: guy goes to a used car dealer, takes a skyline GT-r for a test drive and 'forgets' to bring it back, car owner posts pics on local site (beyond.ca) and asks for help, car gets spotted (more than once), pictures of car and thief posted, personal details of thief found online (due to people recognizing his picture), forum members take down thief and car to his house, police contacted, thief arrested and car returned to owner.

if you want to read the details: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/212943/1...lgary-ab-cash-rewardpics-of-criminals-inside/

be warned though, copious amounts of ridiculing of the thief takes place, though many would believe well deserved.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Cool!

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
All Ended up Well................

Hi Kevin,

What a Story indeed.

I'm glad all turned out well for You and also for the Guy/Guys on the Other Forum that Jumped in and made things Happen.

Terry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts