Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been over a year since I screwed up and popped the engine in my car. Several months and several $$$ later, my Bullitt runs again! I can't wait to get it out on the street and start doing some tuning. It should be a quick car and a blast to drive. Anyway, I just wanted to share my joy that it is finally up and going.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Way to go, hope to have 1543 back on the road this summer.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I know your excitement!! A great feeling to have all that work come together!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1968medic said:
I know your excitement!! A great feeling to have all that work come together!!
No joke. Playing mix and match with wiring harnesses to get the 4R70 working was a pain. I wish I could have afforded to take it somewhere and have it done. Instead, I spent countless hours looking over factory wiring diagrams and chasing down wires. Luckily, I know a few guys that build wrecked mustangs, and was able to use their parts cars for parts as well as visual aids. Now I know why most auto swaps are manual valve body. LOL I just wanted a car to drive like stock when cruising, but be an animal leaving on the transbrake at the track.

Degreeing modular camshafts is another thing I don't care to ever do again. I have done it in pushrod engines without problems, but this 2V was entirely different. I have thought about a 4V head swap, but after degreeing 2 cams, that thought has escaped my mind.

Building the rearend wasn't too bad, but designing a jig for installing 9" bearing ends was fun. I used big bearing 9" ends whereas most people use small bearing. Now I know why. LOL I had to machine the brake backing plate to it would slip over the axle compared to small bearing will slide through the hole.

The easiest install of any part of this car was the HP twin 57 turbo kit. It went on with very few clearance issues, aside from the K-member. I installed and pulled the engine 7 times, cutting away the engine mount stand so the drivers header would clear.

It has definetly been a learning experience. I have messed with only carbed stuff until purchasing this car. My reason for buying it was to learn about EFI and late model performance. I have learned more than I cared to. LOL

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Degreeing the 2V cams isn't too bad with the right tools, but I can see it really sucking otherwise. What type of numbers did you make?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tocsboat24 said:
What type of numbers did you make?
Sorry it took a while to reply, but I had it at the dyno again early this week and was able to get some more power out of it.

15psi, 93 octane, it made 604 to the wheels through the auto.

·
Registered
196 Posts
damn.... looks like its about to take off and fly.... wow... i am impressed.... it scares me and makes my bullitt feel slooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww... amazing work JInx.. wow again...
now u have to BUILD MY ENGINE ...........................:):):)

·
Registered
196 Posts
damn.... looks like its about to take off and fly.... wow... i am impressed.... it scares me and makes my bullitt feel slooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww... amazing work JInx.. wow again...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
blackmagik said:
Thanks!

I put this engine together myself. They are not bad to assemble if you are familiar with engines, but by far the most expensive engine I have ever built.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is a link to a video of one of my 1/8th mile passes last year. I was still having some issues, mainly with the auto trans. The converter was too loose and the turbos wouldn't spool until 60' out. My transbrake wasn't working so I could only footbrake it. My 60's were in the 1.7 range and should have been a LOT quicker than that.

At the top of the track, it would shift into 3rd and slip, causing it to shift back to second. That is why you hear it hitting the limiter.

Most of those issues have been worked out. I am looking forward to seeing some good passes out of it this year.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1d6fe6aa-9f16-4b0e-8799-9a6a00e80cfb.htm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts