Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I,like many others with Mustangs handicapped by the big brakes,would like to run the 15x4.5 inch wheels and skinny fronts,I already have.
The problem is the huge front brakes. The base Mustang front brake swap,might work,but there could be some interference with a part of the caliper retainer.
So,before I spend $400 bucks for rebuilt calipers and rotors,I thought I would check with other brake suppliers,like Wildwood,Baer,Strange,and so on.
All that is needed is a smaller 1 to 4 piston caliper and custom mounting bracket to work with a stock 10.8x1.00 Ford rotor hat.
Hey,we're not talking about going to the moon here!
Only people who had anything were Stange Eng. but it was for race only...rotors too thin for street use.
I told them all there is a HUGE market out there for Mustangs that want to use affordable 15 inch wheels for racing and street cruising.
Of course,while on hold on the phone, I hear all the wonderous capabilities of all there in house custom CNC machining to make for happy customers!!
Strange did say they might be doing something on it,for street use,at some point in the future.
How can you miss a sizeable Mustang market like that?
Do I have to do everything myself??????
Unless you slam into off ramps,at 100 MPH, with your Bullitt,Cobra, big brakes do nothing for the average Mustang owner....who wants to drag race once in a while!
And, NO.. the proper way to fit the 15 inch wheels up front,is not to add thick spacers. Looks like crap that way.

Guess I will charge on,and make the base Mustang 10.8 brake setup work,and then be able to swap back to the Bullitt brakes,when I want them.
The rear 15's went on and cleared the Bullitt calipers,beautifully!

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Larry,
I will not aggree with you on the huge market part of your post... There is market BUT it's not that big... every one is using 17 inch and larger wheels now and bigger brakes the only ones not are the serious drag racer... So reality its a small market.... Sorry dude...

Maybe chevy brakes will work..... :)

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I am looking to cut tenths,off the ET,those front skinnys, are a worth while player. And you know how cool 0503 looks with those 15 inch Americans on the rear!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
droopysbullitt said:
Do what Paul does. Spacers are your friend.
Spacers,over 1/4 thick, won't work well. With the offset my wheels have,the outside edge of the tire is right at the fender edge...about like stock. I don't want the tire hanging outside the fender.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Barnaby said:
What about stock GT/V6 brakes? Will 15's clear those?
That is what I am going with. However,there could be some interference with the outside rib of the caliper mounting bracket. Will have to make a modification.

Greg Weld is supposed to be bringing out a 17x4 Draglite wheel. But they will be pricey,plus the cost of the 17 inch skinny tires at $162 each. That is too much for a small tire like that! Brake swap would be around $380.00

·
Registered
987 Posts
My friend just got wheel spacers and called it a day.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Mus408 said:
Spacers,over 1/4 thick, won't work well. With the offset my wheels have,the outside edge of the tire is right at the fender edge...about like stock. I don't want the tire hanging outside the fender.
I know from watching Paul at the track he has no issues with his skinnies. Might want to PM him to see what set up he has.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
There are people on here with regular GTs you can ask them if they want to trade brakes with you if that even works. I dont know if you are going to leave these on the car or just track use. you can sell the front 15s and by the 17s I thought they made 17s already, or use your spare and get another and replace the tires.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The whole swap deal was to have another wheel choice,to be able to use the set of 15 inch Americans,I already have. The rears fit fine. Would be great to use the matching fronts. Actually the front factory Bullitts don't look to bad with the 15 inch/275x60x15 rear wheel setup.
No,I wouldn't dare sell the Bullitt large brake setup. Swapping out the front brakes,for a change of wheel selection,isn't too big of a pain.
The front tires are BFG 185x65x15, and are about 24.5 OD.
Sure,a 1 inch or more spacer would let it bolt on, but really look bad with that much tire hanging out in the breeze! It has to look right..not like some 20 something,just threw it on there!!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I think the smallest bolt on spacers are 1inch. Then after that are the shim type that just lay on there. Would they stick out really far? I guess it depends on the offset of the stock compared to the Americans. I would think it would just come right to the edge. I dont know if you tryed it already but to do a mockup to see if it works and how it looks. If it looks bad you will have to change the brakes. I wish I new about this a few months ago I had sn95 fronts I gave away I would have gave them to you.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Ok I had sn95 brakes on my 87 GT what I did was switched over to the bullitt brake setup. In the front it was just a matter of changing the calipers and rotors every thing else stayed on. If I am right you can just buy the sn95 front rotors and calipers, pads and you are set. This should only cost you $150. I almost forgot the bolts for the calipers bullitt and sn95 are differant Maximum Motorsports has what you need for that. I used there brake hoses so all I had to do was switch the bolts.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
http://www.gregweld.com/wheels_racelite.html

I personally know these wheels clear with an 1/8th inch spacer. they were supposed to redesign them so that there would be NO spacer also the rear 15s in the redesigned wheel cleared our brakes with no issues

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
$hit the plate the caliper is mounted to is differant too. I forgot but thats the only thing you would need from the junk yard I dont know if you can buy them. The bolts I speak of I was unclear they are for the brake hose from the caliper to the hardline the bolt on the caliper that holds the hoses on are differant cobra brakes are fine tread and gts are coarse thead.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got a price from several autoparts stores for rebuilt,loaded with mounting bracket,calipers for the base 2001 Mustang. With rotors,around $380 dollars. That is with core charge,since I have none to return.
Only problem though,is a clearence issue with the small connecting rib,on the caliper bracket, it hits the back of the spoke area.I would have to check the wheel fit again on my son's 2001 V-6 Mustang.
I removed the Bullitt caliper,yesterday,and installed the 15 inch American wheel/tire combo. The outside edge of the tire is just flush with the outside edge of the fender lip. It looks good. I have seen pics. of Mustangs,that are using the 1 inch spacers and it's just too far out for me.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
240_Bullitt said:
http://www.gregweld.com/wheels_racelite.html

I personally know these wheels clear with an 1/8th inch spacer. they were supposed to redesign them so that there would be NO spacer also the rear 15s in the redesigned wheel cleared our brakes with no issues
Yep,just checked on the new 17x4.5 wheel...$388.00 a pair shipped with nuts and new valve stems and free shipping. Then $320 for the 17 inch Pro Street front tires....
$708 bucks for a combo....ouch!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Mus408 said:
Yep,just checked on the new 17x4.5 wheel...$388.00 a pair shipped with nuts and new valve stems and free shipping. Then $320 for the 17 inch Pro Street front tires....
$708 bucks for a combo....ouch!

the 15s clear fwiw

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.