Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post here...I have never owned a Mustang, I currently own a 93 Ford Probe GT and 77 Camaro, but the call has always been their to own a Mustang.
Recently I had the opportunity to drive a friends 2000 Mustang GT and it was cool, but completely stock.

So I perused various sources and found some decent later model Mustangs, a 95 Cobra stock....5.0L Rio Red with Black Leather...but the tail end is off just a bit.
So the 1999-2004 seem to have the right look, sure I love the new Mustangs, but some of the meanest looking Mustangs are 1999-2004.

So the research continued...a GT Mustang is great but I want mods, aggressive yet subtle. Then came the Mach 1, wow I love these cars, the motor, the styling, but the price is up there unless I get a higher mileage model.

Then came this unique model, with just the right look...the Bullitt, :idea: yeah I remember when Ford released them... and now the hunt is on.

I still go back and forth about the Bullitt and the Mach 1, but I am hoping for some Bullitt owners insight...why the Bullitt...why not the Cobra...why not the Mach 1???

The Bullitt seems to have me, so wish me luck on finding one soon.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Well naturally you are going to get a biased opinion here but I guess you already know that! Why the Bullitt? If it had not been for the Bullitt there would not have been a re-make of the Mach 1. only one year of the Bullitt can't say that about the Mach 1. I know it looks like they are going to make another Bullitt with the new body style but it won't be the same as the 01. I am not saying it won't be as good but it will be different. The Cobra (any year) is an awesome car. I have nothing bad to say about them of course I haven't said anything bad about the Mach 1 either. Have you driven a Bullitt? If not find a Bullitt and drive it! After that you won't have any more questions about which to buy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured bias potentially, but I also figured the folks on this board would have a valid opinion on all Mustangs. Plus as owners I wanted to know what convinced you to buy one. I have not driven a Bullitt yet, but I intend to drive one in the near future. And with everything I've read about the Bullitt states it handles well, and I love corners.

droopysbullitt's comment:
"My perspective is that the car has a soul that the other two don't. For all around looks road hugging performance the Bullitt is it..."

This seems to define what the draw has been to this car.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Welcome aboard and once you drive a bullitt i dont think you will look any farther, the handling is great,power is good for stock and the looks are killer. The cobra and mach1 are great cars but the bullitt is the one.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Highland Bullitt said:
My first post here...I have never owned a Mustang, I currently own a 93 Ford Probe GT and 77 Camaro, but the call has always been their to own a Mustang.
Recently I had the opportunity to drive a friends 2000 Mustang GT and it was cool, but completely stock.

So I perused various sources and found some decent later model Mustangs, a 95 Cobra stock....5.0L Rio Red with Black Leather...but the tail end is off just a bit.
So the 1999-2004 seem to have the right look, sure I love the new Mustangs, but some of the meanest looking Mustangs are 1999-2004.

So the research continued...a GT Mustang is great but I want mods, aggressive yet subtle. Then came the Mach 1, wow I love these cars, the motor, the styling, but the price is up there unless I get a higher mileage model.

Then came this unique model, with just the right look...the Bullitt, :idea: yeah I remember when Ford released them... and now the hunt is on.

I still go back and forth about the Bullitt and the Mach 1, but I am hoping for some Bullitt owners insight...why the Bullitt...why not the Cobra...why not the Mach 1???

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.
One of the reasons I passed on the MACH I and bought the BULLITT is because I could never get a straight answer from FORD if the "all-aluminum" 4.6 DOHC engine in the MACH I uses steel sleeves in the cylinders or not. To this day I haven't got a straight answer from them and I don't think I ever will (same for the 2002-2005 T-bird engine). The BULLITT of course has the lower-performance 4.6 SOHC with a cast-iron block.

Performance-wise the MACH I wins all around. It has more horsepower and more torque and after driving one or two I loved the power band. There is about a 30-40 HP difference with the MACH I being higher. When driving the MACH I the difference was indeed noticeable, but remembering the Chevrolet Vega and their disastrous "all-aluminum" 4-cyl. engine I couldn't get myself to take that sort of gamble.

I drove the BULLITT first, but didn't expect much after reading about the specs so I can't say I was disappointed. I have been happy with the decision I have made (considering the reason I bought the car to begin with). The MACH I seemed to have better performance but nothing I couldn't live without given the price difference and my experiences with cast-iron blocks for road cars. I wasn't going to buy either to race anyway. Again, I knew what to expect from both cars.

Both cars are about the same with regards to the special interiors and suspension. I think the MACH I is slightly 1/4" to 1/2" higher than the BULLITT (which to me isn't enough to matter).

Both cars drove about the same as far as handling goes.

I always say the bottom line is when you are spending that much money for something you make sure you get what YOU want to get. You're the one that has to live with it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My friend had a Mach 1 and it was an amazing car. Oxford White, deep dish mach 1 wheels out back, slp exhaust, ect. But when I went and bought my Bullitt and drove it i knew that i wanted it over a mach. The bullitt has a so much more subtle but strong feeling to it. On top of that, how many Bullitts do you see driving around town? Probably not to many, but machs are everywhere. Just go to a car show and see how many bullitts vs machs you see. I like being unique

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Bullitt Vs Mach I

Another thing you may want to consider is the 4.6 DOHC MACH I engine is unique to the MACH I. The intake system on the BULLITT is unique to the BULLITT but the short black is pretty much the same as any other SOHC 4.6 ROMEO GT enigne and would be far easier and cheaper to replace than a MACH I engine.

If you ever have to tear in to a 2001 BULLIITT engine be VERY CAREFUL with the aluminum intake system as they are no longer being produced by FORD and they are expensive to replace (even on E-bay). The intake system is pretty much what makes the BULLITT engine unique to the overall BULLITT package.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Highland Bullitt said:

Hi SpecJac-Welcome to the board. It appears that you have already put a lot of time & thought in to your decision making. You are almost exactly where I was about 8 months ago. I had made up my mind that I wanted something late model. i had always been a Chevy guy ( sorry-but true) in the past-having restored several cars over the last 10 years. This time I wanted something newer that would provide all the benefits of a modern fuel injected engine while still posessing some old school charicteristics. I dont like any of the late model GM performance cars so I turned my attention to Ford. I quickly narrowed my search to GT's, Cobras, and Mach 1s. Then one day I was playing around on the computer doing Mustang searches and stumbled across this website. I fell in love with the Bullitt almost at first sight. As I spent more time on this site researching the cars I learned to love this site as well. I would say that in my case the car sold itself to me, but this site closed the deal.
Another reason I chose the Bullitt because of the (much) lower production numbers than the Mach 1. I also like the more refined look the Bullitt has, not quite so "Look at Me!!! Another reason I chose the Bullitt is because of the huge difference in prices for equal condition cars. The Mach 1's were around 20k & up for ultra clean low mileage cars when I was looking. For that kind of money I ended up finding a low mileage, arguably historic & very nicely modified DHG Bullitt.
Buying the Bullitt is the best decision I've ever made with regards to automotive purchases. I think you'd be happy no matter what you end up doing, but chalk up a strong vote for the Bullitt from me.

I didn't mention the 03-04 cobra simply because it was never really on my radar screen since it was just a bit out of my budget. Those who have them love them. There are a few members on here who have sold their Bullitts to buy one of the terminator Cobras. They are obviously superior under the hood to a stock Bullitt, but again for the difference in prices between equal condition cars you could buy a low mileage Bullitt and do a Kenne Bell supercharger and have an absolute beast on your hands. Several members on this board have the twin screw setup and love them. Point being, you have lots of options with regards to horsepower if that is a stumbling block for you about buying a Bullitt. Anyway-enjoy the process-for me that was as much fun (almost) as owning the car.....John R :cool:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I agree with everyone. But I would love to own a 03\04 cobra some day.... Along side my bullitt of course ;)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Welcome to the IMBOC registry and good luck with your Bullitt search.

I just bought a DHG Bullitt last week and am very pleased with it. I also have an 04 Mach 1 with an Auto. The Bullitt and Mach each have their own personality. The stick shift in the Bullitt is fun, but the auto in the Mach is a little more practical for me to drive to work in heavy traffic. The Mach definitely has more power but it is rare that I ever really get into it. I am not worried about the aluminum block, I am not going to race it and I just bought the extended warranty before the factory warranty expired in September. I’ve had the Mach just over a year and love everything about it. It gets a lot of attention going down the road. The Bullitt is a great car too; it has more of a sleeper look to it in my opinion but stands out from the regular GT’s. I live in northern Virginia close to Washington DC and very rarely see a Bullitt or a Mach 1 (I commute about 100 miles a day and always looking for stangs). Ford made a little over 16,000 total 03 and 04 Mach 1’s, so there are fewer Bullitt’s around making them more unique. Either one you pick your going to love. I also have a 73 Mustang Convert and a 98 GT Convert (it’s for sale). Each one has it’s own personality that makes it unique and fun to own and drive. That’s my 2 cents worth. Good luck with your search.

By the way, the IMBOC is a great site and was very helpful to me in getting me up to speed on the Bullitt’s during my search for one.

·
Registered
591 Posts
When I bought mine in 2001, I was looking for a 2001 Cobra, but it was just after the intrest rates dropped and all the Cobras had been snapped up. I knew the stats from the factory said the Bullitt only had 5 more ponies than a GT and as such I had written it off; considering the $3400 mark up over a loaded GT.

Then I went to the dealership and drove a GT and then the Bullitt back to back. My seat-o-the-pants feel was that the Bullitt was noticably stronger (seemingly much more than 5 horses). The great seats and breaks won me over more than anything else over the GT. The overall package is great, and the exclusivity of a 1 year only special edition is great.

If I had it to do over again 6 years later, I'd still get the Bullitt... even if the Mach was an option :)

Happy Bullitt hunting!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I bought mine mainly because I wanted something other than a plain GT, and this was the cheapest, and I just fell in love, and I wouldn't trade it for any other car. I plan to keep it for ever.

·
Registered
75 Posts
After Scott Hoag experimented with the Bullitt, Ford actually gave him a budget for his next car:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Ok, here's my 2 cent's worth. When I was shopping for a newer car 6 months ago, I had several cars on the list that were available and within budget. They were-

1)My current car, Bullitt #2445.
2)A 2004 Roush Stage 2 with 5600 miles
3)A 2001 Cobra with 30,000 miles
4)A 2003 Mach 1 in Azure Blue with 12,000 miles
5)A brand new Mustang GT
6)A brand new Charger R/T

I bought the Bullitt after test driving each (and belive me, thay ALL have different personalities) not because it was the quickest, or the most eye-catching. It all boiled down to such a low production car with great handeling, breaking, and acceleration with stunning good looks, I had to have it. I do not regret even for a second letting any of the other cars go. I am now what some may call "addicted" to the Bullitt. My suggestion? Find a well maintained Bullitt, and it will return the need for a speed high with only a stab of the throttle.

Another side benifit I wasn't thinking of- My insurance rates are based on a 2001 Mustang GT, because there is nothing in the VIN number to indicate just how special the car really is. Not so with the Mach 1 or Cobra.:wink:

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
DHGBULLITT said:
Welcome aboard and once you drive a bullitt i dont think you will look any farther, the handling is great,power is good for stock and the looks are killer. The cobra and mach1 are great cars but the bullitt is the one.
I had an 01 cobra on order with plans to put a Kenne-Bell on it when ford announced that they were going to build the bullitt, I canceled my order for the cobra and ordered the bullitt and have NO regrets what so ever. I just put the K-B on the bullitt instead. I like the solid rear axle better than the IRS in the cobra.

·
Administrator
6,246 Posts
Tough choice - all are great cars and have strong suits and things people wish were better.

I have an '03 Mach 1 but I love the Bullitts for the handling balance and sound. In stock form, they have a nice torque curve for around-town driving. I also like the subtle styling.

The shaker system on the Mach is the signature component that brings it "soul", and it does provide some benefit at vehicle speeds over 80mph according to Ford's testing. If you get a Mach, azure blue is the color that is specific to the model.

Any of these cars would be great. A drive is probably what you need to sort out your decision.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
If your looking for a BULLITT, check here weekly, there is always one for sale.
+1 on that-I forgot to mention in my post that I found my Bullitt on this website....John R

1 - 20 of 32 Posts