Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a rattle that's coming from my left exhaust pipe. It started when I put on the x-pipe and 2 chambers so can't really go to dealer on this problem. I have taken it to a muffler shop and they're are pretty sure that it is coming from the tail pipe. Supposedly since our pipes are different and have walls....my problem is that the walls are vibrating and touching??!!!?!?!? Beats me how that occured. He said to fix the problem, I(or he) might have to weld the rear hole(where water drains) on the pipes. I wasn't too sure about that so I am just living with the rattle for now. Should I have welded the hole or not? I mean it is there for a reason so why weld it shut. Appreciate any feedback.Thanks.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Is the rattle still there after the car is up to full operating temperature? Was the X pipe new or used? Could be a bad cat or the shield on the cat is touching the cat.

John

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It rattles when it is in idle....it does it at any temp....it isn't anything with the engine. The x is spankin new and couldn't possibly be the cats because don't have any. it is definatly the left tail pipe because when it rattles....i hold the pipe or put pressure on it and it stops....I just don't know if welding that little hole will fix it or if it is a good idea at all

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-03-17 20:22, Bullit5127 wrote:
Mine rattles too---out of the left tail pipe---and i do not have any mods---just noticed it the other day.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe you should take yours in since it is covered by the warranty and then let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is a pretty good idea by 5111....Bullit5127 since you have no mods you can get some input from the dealer. would sure like to know really why the rattle is there...before i do something stupid..

·
Registered
203 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-03-17 09:39, green_bullitt wrote:
I've got a rattle that's coming from my left exhaust pipe. It started when I put on the x-pipe and 2 chambers so can't really go to dealer on this problem. I have taken it to a muffler shop and they're are pretty sure that it is coming from the tail pipe. Supposedly since our pipes are different and have walls....my problem is that the walls are vibrating and touching??!!!?!?!? Beats me how that occured. He said to fix the problem, I(or he) might have to weld the rear hole(where water drains) on the pipes. I wasn't too sure about that so I am just living with the rattle for now. Should I have welded the hole or not? I mean it is there for a reason so why weld it shut. Appreciate any feedback.Thanks.

I would not weld the hole since it lets water from the combustion process drain out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THAT WAS MY FIRST THOUGHT.....BUT SINCE THERE ARE TWO DRAINAGE HOLES ON EACH PIPE WOULD WELDING JUST ONE MATTER? EVEN IF I DO WELD..DO YOU THINK IT WOULD SOLVE THE PROBLEM?

·
Registered
203 Posts
On 2002-03-18 18:15, green_bullitt wrote:
THAT WAS MY FIRST THOUGHT.....BUT SINCE THERE ARE TWO DRAINAGE HOLES ON EACH PIPE WOULD WELDING JUST ONE MATTER? EVEN IF I DO WELD..DO YOU THINK IT WOULD SOLVE THE PROBLEM?

Hard to say if welding the hole (s) will help the noise. It is possible that if you weld any of the holes shut you may trap enough moisture in to accelerate rusting inside the mufflers. You can always open the holes back up with a good plasma torch which can cut neat small holes...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts