Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may know, I'd like more volume but of the same stock quality sound, and to keep it smog inspection legal. Performance gains are a plus but secondary, and tend to go with the noise increase anyhooo...

1) I want to go with a high-flow "H" with two cats. The MAC highflow "H" is the only one on the market right now, so that's my only option. BBK won't be making an "H" for the 01's.
I may wait, though, and get one from Sean Hyland, part number 22001C, when they become available. Theirs will be ~$600, totally 409 stainless steel, with madrel 2.5" and expected 10HP increase. Hopefully this will be a super option for all 4.6L owners who want the musclecar sound of the "H" along with a quality stainless product. http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/html/cat11.html

2) If I'm happy after the "H" install I'll keep the stock catback. If not, I'm highly considering the new Ford Motorsport catback for the 01 GT's. It is part number M-5230-M52 and is 100% 409 stainless steel, 2.5" mandrel with 3.0" polished tips, and lists for $280 (a bargain for a full SS system!). Since it's produced to Ford Racing specs by Arvin Industries (the same folks who did the Bullitt mufflers) I think there's a fair chance at having a really high performance exhaust system while keeping it "Ford" and keeping the sound as similar as possible. What do you guys think? Any experience with this catback system? http://www.buyfordmotorsport.com

Any input on these decisions would be much appreciated, as usual. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dennis,

#1790 goes in on the 28th of this month to have Mac long tubes and a Mac catalytic h-pipe installed. I will let you know as soon as I get it back as to how it sounds and performs. I personally would not spend the extra $$ on a SHM system. You could almost get headers and a cat h-pipe for the price of the SHM h-pipe. The install of the headers is the expensive part, but only because I decided not to do it myself. I'll let you know.

Brad

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll look forward to your report, Brad. Sounds like you'll be keeping the stock catback? The only really negative thing I've heard about the MAC highflow "H" is that the HTS coating really stinks, but I assume that disappears after a while?
I hope the long tube installation goes well and is not too expensive for you! I'd love to hear where you ordered the parts and prices (here or email me if you wish). Thanks!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dennis,

All new exhaust products stink for a while. I have a supercharged 99 4Runner and when I put the new cat back on, it stunk something fierce for a couple of weeks, and it was stainless. It's a price I'm willing to pay. I shopped around for the parts, but I really didn't see much difference in price. Catalytic h-pipes are pricey no matter how you look at it. I'm hoping to get it on the dyno soon. I'm almost done with my mods. Well, at least for this year. :lol:

·
Registered
147 Posts
P.S. Dennis, how much did it cost to put in the 3.73's. I plan on doing this next. What was your impression of the new ratio?

Brad

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the 3.73's from fordspeed.com at the same time as my driveshaft (for $189 and $159 respectively...pretty good prices). Then I shopped around for a local shop to install. This was the difficult part.

The differential shop I'd used before won't install anything unless THEY order the parts, for liability reasons, so they were out. One Ford service center never picked up the phone, and the other wanted to charge me $500 for the labor!!! Thanks, but NO thanks, Ford.
I finally found a second, private differential shop that installed both items for me in three hour's time for only $250 TOTAL. Great deal! In fact, they had quoted me $300 but charged me much less because "it's a new, clean car and that made the install much easier." How many times do you see that kind of honest, good service today?
I'm happy with the setup. Rev's build like crazy and it's easy to chirp second driving moderately hard (I never powershift).
For the kind of driving I do I'm glad I went with the 3.73's...4.10's would have been too much. Highway driving is very quiet...75 mph is about 2,500 rpm in 5th.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
Mus408 wrote:
I wonder if that new Ford Motorsport Cat-back,by Arvin,is our Bullitt system?
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
I don't think so. First of all our system is not 2.5" all the way through, nor does it have 3" polished tips, nor, I think, is it stainless steel. Finally, the Ford Racing system has the disclaimer "Not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled vehicles"...I know, the same BS language used on offroad H's that half of us use, but still I don't think this FR system would pass muster with the smog police for a production unit like the Bullitt. What I hope, is that the MUFFLERS are indeed the same, for similar sound.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got a note from John at Sean Hyland...he said he could make me a highflow (2-cats) stainless steel "H" for my Bullitt for $395...same price as the MAC only all stainless! I'm going to look into this and let you guys know what happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts