Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to raise both rear wheels off the ground...Can I use a floor jack under the rear end? Thanks in advance for your advice...

Jim

·
Registered
413 Posts
What about a fron jack point? I'm going to change my oil today after work. I have looked for a spot, but not seen anyplace I'm comfortable with. Recommendations?

·
Registered
959 Posts
The diff pumpkin housing is cast iron, you will not hurt it jacking up the car by it. Been doing it on Mustangs for years. I would not be worried even if it made from aluminum.

Brian

·
Registered
959 Posts
MAkes raising the rea of the car a much simpler affair than trying to do one side at a time. Secondly, I don't like trying to lift the car on any part of the unibody. If you are intent on lifting the car at some other point, pick a suspension mounting point and preferably a suspension part itself.

But trust me...you won't hurt the differential jacking the car up by the pumpkin.

Brian

·
Registered
586 Posts
I just changed my oil and was p*ssed that my shorty floor jack didn't have any room to pump the handle so I came up with another simpler method of getting the front end an extra 2 or 3 inches off the ground.

I've got a stack of 1-foot square patio blocks. I put one in front of each front wheel, then another pair right after those first two. Then I backed up a couple feet and did a gently paced roll right up top and parked it there. The ramp slope was less severe than metal shop ramps and the couple of inches was plenty to get to my pan and filter.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the pitch of the car assisted the oil drain from the pan, as well.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I suspect Ford is more worried about the OWNER being damaged than the car when jacking up by the pumpkin. I'm sure someone in the past jacked the car up that way, then got under it with nary a thought as to supporting jackstands. Then tried to sue Ford. Just a theory.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Well, those owners damaged by the car falling on them while working on a unsurported car removes them from the Ford gene pool... probably sends them to the GM camp or the hearafter.. :razz:

Brian

·
Registered
264 Posts
You can jack it on the Pumpkin....I have been doing this for years without a problem. I mean....think about it....the weight of the car rests on the springs which seat on the entire differential.

It won't break.....don't worry!

Paul G.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did it it worked out nice....I just raised the back tires off the ground by 1/2 inch... enough to get tires off and back on again.....
Car looks nice with 30mm HR spacers...Thanks to all who contiributed their knowledge.

Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts