Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed or heard of anyone that has puy JBA shorty headers on their Bullitt or GT. If so what are the HP gains and sound quality like.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
cobra5_0 said:
Has anyone installed or heard of anyone that has puy JBA shorty headers on their Bullitt or GT. If so what are the HP gains and sound quality like.
Check this company out.

Give them a call and talk with Seth, he will be answering the phone.

Tell him Terry Honaker from IMBOC sent You !!!!!!!!

They sale BBK Shorty Headers and Recommend them.

If you have NOT already Purchased..........

Just another Option for You if you are still Looking........

·
Premium Member
12,936 Posts
I had JBA shorties on 3230.
The quality appeared to be very good compared to headers I have seen or installed on other cars in the past. I believe after seeing BBK's however that the BBK appeared to have the edge. I never had any problems with the JBA's. I did however have constant problems with the right collector gasket blowing...but that was more an issue with the MAC H.
They provided an additional (deeper) resonance over and above the MAC H-pipe I had on her at the time...but...not a whole lot.

I never had the setup dyno'd so can't provide any real numbers. However, the headers by themselves, from seat of the pants feel, appeared to make the engine breath a tad easier pulling harder in midrange....but....honestly....the stock headers are not that bad, and shorties never really improve much beyond stock, and certainly didn't provide any wow factor in performance that justified the total expense of headers/installation. Unless you are looking for appearance under the hood.....put your money elsewhere....it is money wasted.

3230 now has longtubes....if you're going to go the expense of changing out...having had both....shorties are just not worth it.

Put the money in gears first. Best bang for the buck compared to anything else.
Or cams...really....those are not that much more in the end.
Until you start really opening up the engines breathing capacity internally...
larger displacement, better heads (larger valves/ported), cams, etc, there really is NO need to work backwards with the headers.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
+1 but don't try JBA longtubes, they don't fit the 08-09 Bullitt.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey jymontoya I have JBA LT headers on my 2008 Bullitt so I dont know what your talking about, they fit and sound great!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, for the advice, I was checking out the BBK's header and it has a good price and a nice look to it as well. Checking out the instruction page for the JBA's you have to lift the motor about an inch. The BBK are so labour intensive. I think I can see what direction I'm going.

·
Premium Member
12,936 Posts
bottom line, I don't care what benefits the manufacturers (or anyone else) may try to sell you on, headers are just not worth the total expense unless you are making the change along with a major engine build up.....and...shorties on a stock mil are the worst choice of the bunch.
$1,000+ for what??? 5hp and a few pounds torque?? Taking out your spare tire and back seat and driving naked would give you the equivalent gains...and might just score you some chics!!!! LOL

·
Registered
825 Posts
Longtube's .... Still A Worthwhile & Effective Bolt-On!!

BULLITT3230 said:
bottom line, I don't care what benefits the manufacturers (or anyone else) may try to sell you on, headers are just not worth the total expense unless you are making the change along with a major engine build up.....and...shorties on a stock mil are the worst choice of the bunch.
$1,000+ for what??? 5hp and a few pounds torque?? Taking out your spare tire and back seat and driving naked would give you the equivalent gains...and might just score you some chics!!!! LOL
Equal length and tuned length are two different things.

Equal length headers are when the primary tubes are all the same length. This is preferable to unequal length because above all a motor needs to be in “balance” and that includes everything that can be measured.

Tuned length headers are going to be equal length by default but in addition to having equal length primaries the primaries are also sized to work with the specific motor they are going on. The tuned length takes into account things like pulse waves and when they get to where they are going and then balancing those out with other cylinders. They will also be cut to a length where the reversion pulse wave that hits the back side of the closed exhaust valve happens at the correct time too.

Header design is incredibly complex and always a compromise. Technically you can only make a header work on one motor at one RPM and be 100% efficient. Every other RPM will be a compromise. The headers we can get for our cars are a lot more about fitting in the space provided, equal length primaries and a good collector design. The R&D to make them better than that is a complete waste of time because the gains are small an we are all running different combinations to one degree or another.

A good example of great header designs are what they are using on NASCAR’s. Those motors are running in a very small RPM window so they don’t have to be designed with a bunch of compromises built into them.
The proof is in the pudding. In a recent article in "Mustang Monthly" they installed a set of BBK Longtube's in an otherwise stock '06 GT for some pretty impressive gains. 10hp and 17.6 ft lbs of torque. Read it here for yourself. http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_0701_ford_mustang_exhaust_headers/dyno_results.html

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
That's absurd!!! JBA sent us 2 different sets. Neither fit. The drivers side hit the bellhousing! They fully refunded our money and said that their Longtubes must not fit the Bullitt. I would NEVER try JBA again. Even though they made it right, do you have any idea what a pain in the ass it is to uninstall and reinstall headers on these cars?

We went with American Racing Headers, which fit better than great. Couldn't be happier with them.

Make sure you change your motor mounts while you're in there! We used the modified Prothane mounts which lowered the engine 3/4" to allow extra clearance for the Saleen supercharger. You can get them from JDM.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
BULLITT3230 said:
Loganville huh?

How about you come over to Lawrenceville, and take a ride in a Longtube equipped Bullitt. It's orgasmic. The gains are clearly evident.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,936 Posts
jymontoya said:
Loganville huh?

How about you come over to Lawrenceville, and take a ride in a Longtube equipped Bullitt. It's orgasmic. The gains are clearly evident.
Reread my post...shorties are not worth the expense...I'm sorry...I had them on the stock mil and it was a complete wasted investment. I could not recommend the set up for any reason beyond looks...I'm sorry...$1,000 for what??????
The question posed was relative to shorties.

If you are going to expend money in headers, then the only choice is to go long tube, they at least will get you significant gains as compared to miniscule with shorties. We're talking expense vs gain here. Depends on how much you're willing to spend for what gain in power.

The money is much better spent building up the engine first.

And no....I don't need a ride. 3230 has a MPH forged 302 with stage III cams and heads and long tubes....so...I know what 400 NA HP feels like...beyond orgasmic. (OK, OK...so right now the car is crapped out)

Do you know of anyone that wants to buy a house in Lawrenceville though??? LOL

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Ahh! I see! Cool.

But, $1000 for shorties, even installed, is a complete rip-off! Our JBA's would have been less installed than that if they had fit!

Nah, only work in Lawrenceville, wouldn't live here for nothing!

·
Premium Member
12,936 Posts
jymontoya said:
Nah, only work in Lawrenceville, wouldn't live here for nothing!
That's why I moved to Loganville! ;)

I moved to Lawrenceville (316/20) in 1991 transferred from California. I thought I was buying out in the sticks.....but....17 years later (long after I figured I'd be back in California) and it is a zoo.....so....now I am back in the sticks in Loganville....but I can still see the hordes coming...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have JBA Longtubes and love the sound and HP gain!

·
Registered
44 Posts
JYmontoya, what is different about the bell housing or any other part of the engine or tranny in any s197 GT compared to an 08 Bullitt???????????

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
supposedly Nothing. But there is rumor that our cars are the basis for the 2010 mustang.

Either way I was just sharing my experience with you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts