Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed small oil drips all over my driveway. I thought they were from an oil change my wife had done not too long ago. Today I looked under the vehicle and noticed the transmission is leaking where the driveshaft comes out. There is a drip there and then the fluid runs along the driveshaft and drips at the rear dif (we park on an incline). Anyone have any idea what the seal or other issue might be and how much it might cost to fix? This is beyond my driveway mechanic abilities.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Rear seal apparently. Probably a 1.5 hour job. Times the hourly shop charge and the $100 seal...Ouch! Still cheaper to keep her. Imagine the car payments. Repairs are nothing... ;-)

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Jeep tranny rearseal - beyond your abilities? I hope not! It should be like four bolts to get he driveshaft out and then a hammer and screw driver to get the old seal out. Then replace the seal with a socket to keep it even, and bang away :D
really easy solution. About a $2 part :cool:

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
rangerdoc said:
Is it really that easy???
pretty much
David has it right though, have a pan under the back of the tranny when you pull the driveshaft out as there could be some leakage.

I would recommend to park downslope if you can. Be sure to put the parking brake on, leave the truck in neutral and chock the wheels :)

shuld be like 4 bolts holding the driveshaft to the rear axle. I would recommend marking the shaft so you get it aligned back the exact same way. I have seen new vibrations get introduced sometimes if not. Theoretically it shouldn't matter, but I have seen it or at least it was in my head :D Have I ever marked it? Nope. lol.. too lazy

anyways
after that slide the shaft out of the back of hte tranny. Replace seal. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.