Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Twenty years ago today at 8:38AM Bullitt 4003 passed the PCM check and rolled off the assembly line at the Ford Rouge Assembly Plant. About 2 hours later, I briefly drove 4003 prior to it going through an audit and being released for shipment.

I ordered my 2001 Mustang Bullitt on March 2, 2001 with hopes that I would take deliver in late Spring. I didn't realize at the time that Ford dealerships were allocated Mustangs based on their overall vehicle sales. Unfortunately, I ordered my Bullitt from a dealer in a western suburb of Detroit which wasn't allocated a lot of Mustangs, hence the build delay.

Back in 1999, I was interested in purchasing a Mustang GT as an aspiration car. Our home mortgage was paid off, the daughters' college educations were funded and our retirement savings were on track. When I heard that there would be a Mustang Bullitt edition coming out, I waited on ordering the Mustang. I came across a Bullitt Forum on Blue Oval News in 2000 and continued to follow those interested in the Bullitt which ultimately formed IMBOC. I lurked but did not join IMBOC until 4003 was built.

Twenty years later, I still own 4003 along with a 2019 Bullitt. The mileage is currently at 47,500 miles, low for a 20 year old car, but since I drive this car year round, except in snow, it has its share of paint chips and road rash. It is no longer in a show quality state. That being said, I would not trade this damage for anything as it represents a lot of fun times driving this car as well as meeting some great people. Great people that I'm still in contact with either face to face (thanks HoonDog) or via social media, a handful I've known for the whole 20 years of Bullitt ownership.

As an aspirational car, buying this was a very big deal for me, like a lot of you. Is it the greatest car ever made? No, not by a long shot, however, it offered well above average performace for the era it was released. Plus its understated looks are still classic to this day. And yes, I still get compliments from all age groups.

Being around IMBOC virtually since its inception, it is tough to see IMBOC in its current condition. I was hoping that this year a lot of the original members would start posting again, but except for a few, that has not materialized. The good times of IMBOC back in the early 2000's are long gone but the road goes ever on and I will be on it with my Bullitts.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,249 Posts
I am with ya Greg on all aspects. My dealership was allocated 1 2001 Bullitt and I got first dibs on it on January 31st, 2001 on my birthday. Ordered it but it did not go into production until April. As of April 19th it was released from the factory in Dearborn and on the 23rd it was released to a convoy carrier and the next day on to the rail carrier to come out West here to me.

We were able to track our cars, those that went by rail, by a VOPC number. I called it every day to see where my Bullitt was and when it would get here. Needless to say, it went over the mountains to Seattle first and stayed there what seemed like forever, and then it came back over the mountain to Spokane which is near the Idaho/Washington border.

I was getting so impatient with it being held in Seattle for so long I asked my dealer if my husband and I could drive over there (6 hours) and get it ourselves. I did find out through the VOPC though, when it would be coming through Spokane here so my husband and I drove to a train crossing in town to see if we could spot it on the train. They were enclosed cars so it would have been impossible to see our B.

It all was a fun experience tracking the car at the factory and then on the train. I knew my B would have a lower number as my dealer put a rush on my order and I was very early in ordering it (in January) and couldn't wait to get a VIN so I could start tracking it.

Thanks for sharing your story Greg, and those are great pics! You and I are probably the only ones left here that even remember being members of the "Blue Oval" forum on the Internet. It was the only place we all could get together to anticipate our Bullitts being produced and delivered. I think tkatz (Teddy) was the first one to get his and he posted pics and very soon found out where the hidden sticker was before Ford revealed it.

My B only has 33,000 miles on it as I (we) only drive it in the spring and summer months here.

I was looking at your "BULLITT Features" paper above and notice that we have a Cobra spare tire. Do you think they are still good after 20 years? ...And what is different about the Cobra tires than a Bullitt tire?

·
Registered
Bright Silver 2003 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
1 Posts
I am with ya Greg on all aspects. My dealership was allocated 1 2001 Bullitt and I got first dibs on it on January 31st, 2001 on my birthday. Ordered it but it did not go into production until April. As of April 19th it was released from the factory in Dearborn and on the 23rd it was released to a convoy carrier and the next day on to the rail carrier to come out West here to me.

We were able to track our cars, those that went by rail, by a VOPC number. I called it every day to see where my Bullitt was and when it would get here. Needless to say, it went over the mountains to Seattle first and stayed there what seemed like forever, and then it came back over the mountain to Spokane which is near the Idaho/Washington border.

I was getting so impatient with it being held in Seattle for so long I asked my dealer if my husband and I could drive over there (6 hours) and get it ourselves. I did find out through the VOPC though, when it would be coming through Spokane here so my husband and I drove to a train crossing in town to see if we could spot it on the train. They were enclosed cars so it would have been impossible to see our B.

It all was a fun experience tracking the car at the factory and then on the train. I knew my B would have a lower number as my dealer put a rush on my order and I was very early in ordering it (in January) and couldn't wait to get a VIN so I could start tracking it.

Thanks for sharing your story Greg, and those are great pics! You and I are probably the only ones left here that even remember being members of the "Blue Oval" forum on the Internet. It was the only place we all could get together to anticipate our Bullitts being produced and delivered. I think tkatz (Teddy) was the first one to get his and he posted pics and very soon found out where the hidden sticker was before Ford revealed it.

My B only has 33,000 miles on it as I (we) only drive it in the spring and summer months here.

I was looking at your "BULLITT Features" paper above and notice that we have a Cobra spare tire. Do you think they are still good after 20 years? ...And what is different about the Cobra tires than a Bullitt tire?
Just a clarification regarding the COBRA Spare tire. Because the Bullitt Brake Calipers & Rotors on the front wheels are based on COBRA brakes, the spare tire for a typical Mustang GT would not clear the front brakes of the Bullitt, and therefore required the larger COBRA spare tire.

·
Premium Member
8,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Nice story Vikki. I think back then, a lot of people tracked their Bullitt through the delivery system just like you did. Regarding the spare, the recommendation is to replace road tires, regardless of mileage after 6 or 7 years. However, with the mini spare being located under the trunk and away from UV light and temperature extremes, they should last a lot longer. After 20 years, probably OK, but I would keep the speed and mileage at a minimum until you install a new road tire.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Twenty years later, I still own 4003 along with a 2019 Bullitt. The mileage is currently at 47,500 miles, low for a 20 year old car, but since I drive this car year round, except in snow, it has its share of paint chips and road rash. It is no longer in a show quality state. That being said, I would not trade this damage for anything as it represents a lot of fun times driving this car as well as meeting some great people. Great people that I'm still in contact with either face to face (thanks HoonDog) or via social media, a handful I've known for the whole 20 years of Bullitt

View attachment 81251

View attachment 81250

View attachment 81252
You my friend absolutely get it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
6,485 Posts
Thanks for posting that verification sheet! It is precious documentation for the start of what is a long run of Mustang Bullitts. It's been a journey to the present day, and I am glad for you and others who are original owners. Congratulations!!

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
bought mine in September 2001. First time I learned how to drive a manual transmission was when i drove it off the lot.
20 years later i still have it so i must have done something right. I always enjoy reading the stories on here. Never gets old (y)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great read, I think all Internet forums have light traffic but as these cars age and decrease in numbers, I think a second wave of Bullitt owners is going on now. I’ve only owned mine a few months and never really knew about them until I bought it. BTW, I’d love to know what dealer my car came from. How can I find out. The gentleman I bought it from was the second owner I believe and he said the original owner sold it to buy a Cobra if I understood correctly.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Great read, I think all Internet forums have light traffic but as these cars age and decrease in numbers, I think a second wave of Bullitt owners is going on now. I’ve only owned mine a few months and never really knew about them until I bought it. BTW, I’d love to know what dealer my car came from. How can I find out. The gentleman I bought it from was the second owner I believe and he said the original owner sold it to buy a Cobra if I understood correctly.
I sold my first Bullitt to buy an 03 Mustang Cobra. I bought the Bullitt in CA in late '01. Are the last six digits of your serial #206706?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'm on my 4th BULLITT, two used, two new. I have enjoyed every one of them. They are special cars with a history.
Sadly, IMBOC is pretty much lost. A few years back this was an active site............now most posts are FORD announcements. Things change! FACEBOOK has taken many IMBOC customers. I find myself not looking at IMBOC very often since there's not much to read. I was hoping that with the 2019 and 2020 models hitting the streets that there would be more IMBOC interest.
I absolutely, positively do not do FACEBOOK............you can read my mind on this one!
Hopefully things will turn around for IMBOC. In the interim, I can read about chip shortages and the new FORD maverick posts on IMBOC.......
Having a negative day I guess!
ARMY TC

·
Registered
13 Posts
I sold my first Bullitt to buy an 03 Mustang Cobra. I bought the Bullitt in CA in late '01. Are the last six digits of your serial #206706?
Unfortunately no. I knw the car is/was registered here under two owners, the guy I bough it from and another. I think it came from the Pacific Northwest, but not sure. I bought it in Florence, Oregon but not sure where it was before that. Now the car resides in Grants Pass, and Beaverton Oregon.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I'm on my 4th BULLITT, two used, two new. I have enjoyed every one of them. They are special cars with a history.
Sadly, IMBOC is pretty much lost. A few years back this was an active site............now most posts are FORD announcements. Things change! FACEBOOK has taken many IMBOC customers. I find myself not looking at IMBOC very often since there's not much to read. I was hoping that with the 2019 and 2020 models hitting the streets that there would be more IMBOC interest.
I absolutely, positively do not do FACEBOOK............you can read my mind on this one!
Hopefully things will turn around for IMBOC. In the interim, I can read about chip shortages and the new FORD maverick posts on IMBOC.......
ARMY TC
Ditto on the absolutely no FB stance. Was on there for several months but morality finally awakened me to the possibility of an eternity of extreme heat. 😉

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
BTW, I’d love to know what dealer my car came from. How can I find out. The gentleman I bought it from was the second owner I believe and he said the original owner sold it to buy a Cobra if I understood correctly.
Run a CarFax on your Bullitt. May have beginning info...

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
One of the IMBOC guys on here Stoopkid had a TB Bullitt and he said that was one of his biggest regrets was selling his Bullitt. I'm glad I never did after all these years (A loaded 2021 Mach 1 would be nice). Granted there are faster ones, more HP, etc etc., but mine is paid for and it never gets old when driving it.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,249 Posts
ARMY TC
IMBOC has not been the same since the new takeover a few years back and new site as people had to change their passwords and then couldn't get back on. A lot of our original people just left, sadly. :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts