Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been summoned for Jury Duty for the 2nd time in my life. Actually got chosen as a juror 14 years ago. It was for a residential burglary.

Any one else serve jury duty? NOT looking forward to doing all that waiting around and calling in every evening to see if I show up the next morning and trying to find parking in the court house parking lot. :irked:

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
You are very lucky to have been called to serve.

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
Take some knitting stuff and car mags with you.

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
TwoStangWmn said:
Any one else serve jury duty?
Yes, while I was a Police Officer. I took some knitting stuff and car mags with me.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PY said:
Yes, while I was a Police Officer. I took some knitting stuff and car mags with me.
Yes, nice cover there Collin... :lol: You knitting? Yeah right..... :py2:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
PY said:
LOL too funny PY :)

·
Former Owner of 2001 DHG1557
840 Posts
Yes, did it once, way back when in early 80's. Boring as hell, got on a jury for somebody sueing his broker for commodities trading, gold and silver, broker lost him $50,000. Bottom line, we sat through boring testimony for a couple of days, and right before we could deliberate on the matter, they settled out of court. Hope I never have to go through that again, waste of time. By the way, jury got together after trial and voted for Broker, he did nothing he wasn't authorized to do.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Went once about a year ago. Me and another person overheard from a camera news man what the whole thing was about and ended up getting all the jurors dismissed. It was about 25 people that got off doing jury duty.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
You realize by me posting how long it's been since I served on a jury, I will now be notified to serve on a jury !

Anyway, about 22 years ago, child molestation case. We couldn't decide on guilty or not, so it was a mistrial. Funny thing was, the judge in the case was the judge that married my cousin and his wife a few weeks after the trial, and he agreed that there wasn't enough evidence to convict the guy! He also mentioned he didn't like how much bling the arresting officer had on during the trial. :lol:

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
I'm called every three-four years.

I get the notice, almost like clockwork. I served once on a traffic case. Someone was hit by a semi, then waited four years to sue for damages. After a couple of days they settled out of court, without an admission of guilt for the driver. Tarrant County Court is usually finished with the selection process by noon of the day you are called and they cases seldom last more than a day or two after that. So I have done about 7 days total waiting and two on a jury...

Oh yeah, no knitting needles, knifes, firearms, etc are authorized in the Court House. Mindless novels are OK though... :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
I was fortunate to serve on two juries. Once in '01 and another in '04. It was kind of weird in that I went 28 years without being called and then called twice in a 3 year period. Both cases involved shootings. The first involved a love triangle between two Detroit police officers (one male and one female) and another woman. The male cop was once married to the women and was now dating the female cop. He had visitation rights to his daughter and visited his ex-wife's house frequently to help his daughter with homework. The female cop did not like it, was very jealous and did a drive by shooting of the other women's house, almost hitting the daughter. The other was a robbery where two late teen cousins held up and shot a 71 year old man. He survived but could not remember any details of the shooting. Fortunately his lady friend was in the car during the shooting and could testify against the two teens.
Each trial ran about 5 days and was very interesting in how each prosecuting attorney handled their cases. One went for the max and did not get the judgment he wanted while the other went after slightly lesser charges and won the conviction. It was also interesting how some people tried to get out of jury duty. I tell you what, most of the classic excuses everyone is told to try were used by some of the potential jurors and none of them worked with either judge. You should have seen the expression on those people's faces when their excuses were rejected. :lol:

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
4003 I like and respect this statement you made--I was fortunate to serve on two juries.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bullitt4003 said:
I tell you what, most of the classic excuses everyone is told to try were used by some of the potential jurors and none of them worked with either judge. You should have seen the expression on those people's faces when their excuses were rejected. :lol:
A gal at work said her Dad once said during his juror interview trying to get out of being chosen, that "The person sitting there is guilty as he is here isn't he?" The judge told him that he had to sit as spectator during all the court sessions all week for that remark. :lol:

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
rblack4405 said:
4003 I like and respect this statement you made--I was fortunate to serve on two juries.
I also like and respect your statement..... I feel is it is our duty to serve, and am looking forward to my first

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Being a friend of Law Enforcement Officers usually means that Defense Attorneys don't want you, so I have never been selected.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts