Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never in all my born days have i ever had so much trouble installing an aftermarket bolt-on! I still think i have to do some moving around but i will not give up. Good thing people dont have me work on their cars cause labor costs would be out the roof! To top it all off last nite, I got done and took her for a test drive and ground good ol' 3rd gear. Kinda let the clutch out before she was in gear! Ouch. I am sure it has happened to everybody some time or another. Surely someone else had some problems with their JLT? Maybe not? Lets hear some responses.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I ordered one 2 weeks ago and they were sold out. They said they will be shipping me one out on Wednesday. So as soon as I get it I will be installing it and let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Installed mine last year and from what I remember I had to fight a while to get it all to fit. Don't feel bad it takes me a while to work on things as well.

·
Registered
656 Posts
ShaneB said:
I never in all my born days have i ever had so much trouble installing an aftermarket bolt-on! I still think i have to do some moving around but i will not give up. Good thing people dont have me work on their cars cause labor costs would be out the roof! To top it all off last nite, I got done and took her for a test drive and ground good ol' 3rd gear. Kinda let the clutch out before she was in gear! Ouch. I am sure it has happened to everybody some time or another. Surely someone else had some problems with their JLT? Maybe not? Lets hear some responses.
The term "bolt on" is a misnomer. I've found that most aftermarket bolt ons require some type of massaging, trimming, grinding, tweaking, etc. Its the nature of the beast. We've all been there. :wink:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I actually just had to adjust my JLT today...major ***** to install...but its so worth it

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a Densecharger (DeMolet/Tuneable intake) in my GT, which has a BULLITT intake.
It definitely gave a nice noticeable gain. It's also A LOT easier to install than the damned JLT!!! LOL
I recently removed it when I sold the car.
I've painted it to match the DHG on your cars. It's a pretty damn close match with several coats of clear. I'm selling it if anyone is interested...

·
Registered
515 Posts
I feel ya brother. That thing was soooooo much harder than.....well all the mods I've done, installing a stereo, installing a shifter, putting wheel spacers on, mach one grill was cake compared to the damn JLT, my sportlines and MM CC plates were easier. I am dreading just cleaning the filter. But it looks NICE.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I put the pre-maf portion of a densecharger on my car. It relocates the filter in the fender well. Dropped my IAT (Intake Air Temperature) 10*. Very happy with that.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
i tried, yes tried installing a jlt tonight. i'm not sure what is worse, this or headers. ended up putting stock intake back on. i ran out of beer, and this is definitely not a sober install. jlt was not kidding when they said it would be a tight squeeze. there are so many pieces to keep track of, and i dont know about anyone else's experiences, but i could not get the intake to match up to the intake manifold. it points way too high. i'm thinking a heat gun will get the elbow to accomodate it, but we'll see.
for those who have installed it, what problems did you run into? and how did you solve them!

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
It has been a while but I don't remember it being that hard. A little soapy water on the elbow that hooks to the throttle body and you can slip it on and move it around until you get it where it needs to be. Same trick works for installing the pipe into that elbow. It is best to take the passenger front tire off but you can turn it all the way to the left and still install the maf into the fender well. If you pull the tire take out I think 2 screws and pull the splash guard out of the way so you can work in there. I will agree that it takes more than opening the hood but to compare it to headers? (I read this post and it sounds like I am being a smart-A but that is not the way it is meant) I hope the soapy water tip helps

·
Registered
771 Posts
I will agree...

My JLT was like pulling teeth the first time... And wait until it's time to clean the filter, it brings back all those four letter words! :)

The second time it was a lot easier.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
bluebullitt2180.1 said:
It has been a while but I don't remember it being that hard. A little soapy water on the elbow that hooks to the throttle body and you can slip it on and move it around until you get it where it needs to be. Same trick works for installing the pipe into that elbow. It is best to take the passenger front tire off but you can turn it all the way to the left and still install the maf into the fender well. If you pull the tire take out I think 2 screws and pull the splash guard out of the way so you can work in there. I will agree that it takes more than opening the hood but to compare it to headers? (I read this post and it sounds like I am being a smart-A but that is not the way it is meant) I hope the soapy water tip helps

i know its not as bad as headers, but we're getting there! the intake pipe seems to extend to far towards the throttle body, and the rubber coupling does not have the right bend in it. i'm thinking when its heated up i might be able to get it to work.

can anyone post pics of their jlt setup? especially some with the throttle body. right now, the spot where the intake pipe meets the coupling is a good 1" to 1.5" higher than my intake manifold. my hood won't close!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just put one on. If you micorwave the rubber pieces it will go easier.

I was not in love with the location and orientation of the filter.

You really have to follow the install sequence to get it right.

·
Car Whisperer
20,787 Posts
Makes me glad I have my PHP intake. The Densechrager was bad enough.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is why is just went the K&N Generation II kit. Way easy, and when it's time to clean the filter...even easier :wink: (not to be a smart a$$.) good luck guys.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I put mine on last Thursday and it was definately not a simple task. The big thing is to follow the instructions to a "T" and have some patience. It is well worth it when it is complete.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
did anyone have issues getting the intake tube to match up with the throttle body? everything else is fine, but it points up to high and i cant even close the hood. wtf! this thing is driving me nuts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts