Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out this evening and hit a nice straightaway. I shifted from two to three around 5800 and missed third. I know it happens, so I went back again and missed it the second time. Now I'm mad. Well three's a charm. Now I feel myself looking for it instead of just shifting. It goes in easily driving around town, I know its just me, but when I'm driving hard I'm missing all of a sudden. Any tips would be appreciated. I'm afraid to try it again. Good thing I did'nt hurt it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
When you 'miss' it, where do you go? 5th, I hope. Check your transmission bolts for tightness, high rpm torques the tranny around, and this can affect the shift linkage. Before we start another round of Ford bashing, BMW's all have this same problem, and the only fix is to add a transmission brace!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
It's the shifter,same thing for years. Go get a Steeda Tri-Ax,or similar unit and you will be fine. I also so added a clutch pedal stop,I machined up out of aluminum,to prevent depressing pedal to far. I adjust it just beyond dissengagement. It clamps around the pedal arm.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am not bashing the Steeda shifter, but the last time I went to the track two guys with the Steeda shifter (one on a T-5 and the other on a Tremic 3650) both missed 3rd.

Is the shifter the problem? I don't know, but I don't think the Tri-ax is the answer. I am not bashing Steeda here, I am just stating what I have seen.

·
Registered
509 Posts
If you are missing a shift to 3rd with a Tria, you must be putting too much lateral pressure on the shifter and punching 5th.

It is almost impossible to miss 3rd with the Triax, unless you aren't paying attention to the amount of right lateral pressure you are exerting.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You know what? Noone is addressing ergonomics (at least I think that's the term for it). What size are the guys that are missing third. I've never missed third in 4000 miles. I'm 5' 8'" tall with a 30" inseam. I weigh 175#'s My waist is 32" I don't know my sleeve length but it's proportional to my build. The Bullitt cockpit fits me wonderfully and I don't get the odometer refection in my normal driving position. Maybe for long armed/tall guys the angles change enough to increase the chances of missed shifts? Just a thought.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am 5'10" tall. 31" waist, 42" chest (I have my shirts and suits custom made). I weight 180 lbs with approx 3% body fat. I can benchpress over 350 pounds, squat 400 and I run the 40 in about 3 seconds flat. I scored a touchdown in the Superbowl, finished first in the Indy 500, and hit a grand slam in the World Series. George Bush calls me daily for advice, and I turned down a seat on the World Finance Council.

I have never missed a shift to third.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-19 12:47, CatSmasher wrote:
I am 5'10" tall. 31" waist, 42" chest (I have my shirts and suits custom made). I weight 180 lbs with approx 3% body fat. I can benchpress over 350 pounds, squat 400 and I run the 40 in about 3 seconds flat. I scored a touchdown in the Superbowl, finished first in the Indy 500, and hit a grand slam in the World Series. George Bush calls me daily for advice, and I turned down a seat on the World Finance Council.

I have never missed a shift to third.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
ROTFLMAO

·
Registered
360 Posts
WOW CatSmasher you'd better change your name to Superman :eek:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Assuming you have experience driving a stick shift, the missed shift while winding it up is probably the result of adrenalin surging through your system. Anyone who says their heart doesn't start beating a thousand times a minute, doesn't get sweaty palms, or doesn't try to push the clutch and accelerator through the floor while waking their Bullitt up is a liar, or under suspicion of being deceased.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
hey cat,
I buy ALL of what u r saying , in fact i think i remember u hitting the homerun for the YANKEE"S except for one lil thing... if georgie boy is calling u, why isn't the mid east glowing in the dark yet?
stay well
live long and prosper

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone, I think the adreniline advice was correct. I let go of the shifer after two and let it "fall" a little to the right, and just shoved forward with mostly my palm and in it went. Several times. I got it back. WHEWWW! Who does'nt get worked up going thru the gears?

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Cat,
I have been reading your posts since I first started thinking about buying a Bullitt, all the way back to the BON days, before YaHoo and BC, and that has to be the best BS job you have put together to date!!!! Keep me laughing, will ya???

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've missed the fifth to third shift once or twice. It seems you got to give it a really good push to get it into gear at that rpm. I usually try to do it too fast and let out the clutch before the shifter is in third. I'm working on that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts