Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW!! What a great movie. At the end of this particular one my friend has they have the making of the movie including interviews with the actors, writers and the voice of the producer. They spoke in depth of how Steve demanded his part be re-written so he was a hero. They also showed how they edited Bud Ekins in the motorcycle jump scenes with Bud explaining it! Wow, that was great, long, but great!! I'm on my way....

Bullitt

Papillon

The Great Escape

next??????

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I remember seeing "The Getaway" when I was pretty young. I think it may have been the first time I actually saw a movie in a theater. It had Steve McQueen and Ali Mcgraw. Sort of a modern "Bonnie & Clyde" type movie. Sam Peckinpah (sp?) directed it. I haven't seen it again since I was young, but I have good memories of it from when I did see it....John R

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
yup, really great movie! :)

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Its on my top 10 list of movies.....of course, I saw it in the theater when it came out and bought the DVD a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Rikki Racer said:
WOW!! What a great movie. At the end of this particular one my friend has they have the making of the movie including interviews with the actors, writers and the voice of the producer. They spoke in depth of how Steve demanded his part be re-written so he was a hero. They also showed how they edited Bud Ekins in the motorcycle jump scenes with Bud explaining it! Wow, that was great, long, but great!! I'm on my way....

Bullitt

Papillon

The Great Escape

next??????
I like the movie but Hero or preppie - He talked himself up and walked off set and they had to write him a bigger part to get him back on set ! ! ! !
Same thing happened in the Magnificent Seven. He did not like being upstaged by Yul Brenner?

It is human nature to remember the good bits and forget some things.
Peter Yates was interviewed and spoke of being in the back of the Fastback with Steve McQueen.
HE WAS the director of Bullitt and said that Steve McQueen did ALL THE DRIVING.
THE stunt driver said that Steve did most of the driving BUT not all of it.

I don't thing either is lying but we forget things esp after 40 years.............

Bob

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
The early hype on all movies was that Steve did it all. The reality check came later when it would come out that Bud Ekins did the true stunt driving. Hence, why Steve pokes his head out of the car on one of the missed corners in Bullitt and he has to back up to make the turn. He wanted to make sure everyone saw that Steve McQueen was doing the driving.

IMHO, James Garner was a better driver, as is/was Paul Newman. They actually competed in car races. Steve rode cycles like the full on competitive crazy that he was and that is to his credit.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
DavidMidgley said:
IMHO, James Garner was a better driver, as is/was Paul Newman. They actually competed in car races. Steve rode cycles like the full on competitive crazy that he was and that is to his credit.
For reference, here are some websites that have some information on James Garner's race car team, American International Racers.

S/C Rambler Off Road Racers:
http://www.arcticboy.com/media/american/BajaScram/bajaamer.html

1968 L-88 Corvettes:
http://www.airl88.com/

Oldsmobile Cutlass Off Road Racer:
http://www.442.com/articles/banshee.html
I remember this car being featured in a Hot Rod magazine article.

Garner's AIR Lola (middle of the page):
http://www.imca-slotracing.com/Lola T70 Mk3B.htm

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten that Garner owned his own racing company. I only remembered that he drove some of the cars in the events. Totally forgot about AIR. Too bad he was a GM hugger. Oh well!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I have Bud Ekins autograph on the picture of him jumping the barbed wire fence from "The Great Escape". It's one of my prize posessions. Bud Ekins did the jump from The Great Escape and drove down the hills in the Mustang in "Bullitt". It was reported in the press that Mcqueen did all the riding and driving. The reverse burnout was a missed turn by Mcqueen and he floored it in reverse. It was not scripted and they kept it in the movie. Just before that Bill Hickman took out one of the cameras in the same turn. You see that in the movie. It looks like he crashes into a car. In short documentary "The Making of Bullitt" you can see the actual footage from the camera. The camera was damaged but they didn't use the film in the movie. Anyone notice it's Bud Ekins doubling for Ross as he falls thru the glass window at the airport after being shot by Steve Mcqueen?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I recently bought The Sand Pebbles and Nevada Smith. I highly recommend both of them!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts