Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

K&N Air filter

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  MCQUEEN 
#1 ·
Debating to put the K&N Air filter on or not.
I am a little gun shy because I bought one for my 95 T-Bird and after only about 3 months I got a check engine light and ended up replacing the MAF. Had read in a Ford newsgroup that OVER oiling could allow oil to gather on the MAF wire and damage the MAF. Well since it was factory oiled I did not think that was the problem. About 15000 miles later I cleaned and reoiled the filter. Had a hard time not over oiling the filter... Thought I did ok and after reoiling I let it set for 24 hours on a piece of paper and did not see where it had dripped anywhere. Thinking I was ok I put it back on the car. Later while under the car for some reason I noticed a trace of red oil by the filter box. popped the lid and the bottom had oil in it. Pulled the K&N filter and went back to paper. Few months later, yup. check engine light and another MAF. These were the only two problems I had with the car out of the 50,000 that I put on it. So now I am wondering if I should run the K&N filter again. Least this time the MAF will be under warranty.

#2 ·
mid life, i know that one of the reasons people buy K & N is for the long, LONG life it offers you. but honestly, i'd rather pay $50.00 every 2 years and get a new on than risk RE-oiling it.
i don't buy them for the longevity, i buy it for the airflow!
my .02

#6 ·
The part number for the K&N for a Bullitt (or Mustang) is HG E-0945. I just happened to have the box siting next to my desk.

#9 ·
I have the Holley Filter on mine. It has been on there for almost 3,000 miles. I was not real happy with it because the filter edge needed to be about an 1/8th of an inch larger so it would fit tighter against the filter housing. Not that I think it can hurt anything. When you put the other side of the houseing on, the filter can not move left and right so the other side of the housing is sealing against the seal/lip. Hope that makes sense. It just could have been a tighter fit thats all. I was happy with the quality of the filter and it looked to be a little nicer construction than the K&N's I had before. If you want photos I can post them.

#11 ·
I've seen back to back dynos with a paper filter and a K&N....nada difference in power assuming identical cool down periods.

The only reason I have one is for the better sound the exhaust produces. It provides no additional performance from what I've seen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.