Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had 5508's first service yesterday. Had 5 quarts of Mobil 1 (5W30) put in as well as a K&N HP2010 oil filter and the E0945 K&N air filter. The car seems to be slower off the line than it used to? WTF!!!

Thought about taking out the silencer, but after reading all of the posts about the loss in power I decided to leave it in. Anyway, if you do take it out it leaves a gap where unfiltered air goes directly into the intake.

Maybe I should put the stock one back in!

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Wade check all the fittings. Taking the air silencer out will not allow unfiltered air in. I have read that some dyno tests show a drop in hp when removing the airsilencer but nothing about it leaking dirty air with out it. Make sure the clamp is on right. It defiently should not have slowed you down. You should have noticed a slight rise in noise.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Interesting. Mine felt much better with the K&N. Immediately it ran over 1 mph faster in the 1/4. I thought maybe there was something wrong with my stock filter.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
No, its that baffle looking rubber thingy that fits into the air box and runs into the fender.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
If you take the screen out then you will need something in there so you don't have the plastic fitting against the plastic. I don't think it will seal up that good. If you look closely you CAN take the screen out of that rubber ring that goes around it. Guess you could do that and then put back in to seal between the MAF and the airbox front housing. As far as removing the screen I have read both sides, that it is worth a few and that loses a few. Don't know which one to believe.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like inside the air box it turns sharp to the right and on into the fender. Is the round piece going into the fender the silencer?

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Unbolt the air box to get more room to work with. When you pull it away from the fender you will see the big rubber tube. It will just pop right out by pulling on it.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got back from running it up the road without the silencer on (I figured it was the big rubber piece). It is a bit throatier (is that a word?) and seems a little faster. I won't know until the dyno. I'll bring it to see what difference there is on or off. I do think that the sea level cars may be running leaner with it off (more air than there used to) and that may be why it seems to hurt their dyno results. But, I'm at 6000 ft! Since the cars chip was tuned for sea level, maybe it will have a positive effect on 5508 now that I've taken it off. Does that make any sense at all?

Wonder if the check engine light will come on like those folks with denschargers

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: h1resq on 2001-11-24 20:23 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: h1resq on 2001-11-24 20:25 ]</font>

·
Registered
650 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-24 11:22, h1resq wrote:
Just had 5508's first service yesterday. Had 5 quarts of Mobil 1 (5W30) put in as well as a K&N HP2010 oil filter and the E0945 K&N air filter. The car seems to be slower off the line than it used to? WTF!!!

Thought about taking out the silencer, but after reading all of the posts about the loss in power I decided to leave it in. Anyway, if you do take it out it leaves a gap where unfiltered air goes directly into the intake.

Maybe I should put the stock one back in!

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
The K&N is fine, it is the 5w-30 mobil 1 synthetic that's slowing you down. I tried mobil one @ 4000 miles and my car felt sluggish, then I switched to ford synthetic blend (5w-20) and it felt sooo much better and rev happy. It can also be too much oil, check it as soon as you can. The oil will blow by the rings and into the cylinders.
Keep your engine on 5w-20 oil until 8 to 10 thousand miles depending on how much of that is city/hard driving.

TAKE IT EASY!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
5 quarts is what I put in. Just under full. Haven't heard anyone complaining about mobil 1 though. Interesting...

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-25 15:05, BERZERKER wrote:

The K&N is fine, it is the 5w-30 mobil 1 synthetic that's slowing you down. I tried mobil one @ 4000 miles and my car felt sluggish, then I switched to ford synthetic blend (5w-20) and it felt sooo much better and rev happy. It can also be too much oil, check it as soon as you can. The oil will blow by the rings and into the cylinders.
Keep your engine on 5w-20 oil until 8 to 10 thousand miles depending on how much of that is city/hard driving.

TAKE IT EASY!!!!!!!!!!
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats a new one on me. Most things point to most any synthetic flowing better than mineral even of a lighter weight.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Check out what type of oil you are using, also with the silencer, make sure you have it in when it rains other wise your filter will get soaked. Mines is off for track purposes but then put back on

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does it matter if it gets soaked? I see a lot of mustangs with the K&N unprotected all of the time (i.e. with Vortechs).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts