Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is normally driven - no racing, dusty conditions, or towing :)

Here are the used oil analysis results for 2 oil changes. I used the recommended Morotcraft 5W20 semi-synthetic oil and Motorcraft 500S oil filter. The bottom line is that I could go to a higher change interval than I have used so far (5000 miles). Since the engine had both direct and port injection, and I have been racking up the miles more slowly than my previous 2015 Mustang GT, I went with a lesser mileage interval.

There are 10 quarts of oil in this baby. I'd rather maximize the usage rather than dump it earlier. You can see the comments about the washing out of the metals from the manufacturing process.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
Looks really good so far. Nice to have the information as you move forward.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Tony, thanks for posting the results.

It might be interesting to see what results I get from a high mileage engine. My (actually my Daughter,s) 4.0 Ranger has around 315K. I wonder what that would show.

Could you provide an idea of the cost of the Oil Analysis.

Hmmmm, I also just purchased a Supercharged Monte Carlo SS from a neighbor that has 225K. Neighbor has had it since it was almost new and claims he always changed the oil at 3,000 miles only using Valvoline Conventional oil. Would be interesting to see how conventional oil holds up over a lot of miles. Guess I need to pull up their website.

·
Administrator
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could you provide an idea of the cost of the Oil Analysis.

Hmmmm, I also just purchased a Supercharged Monte Carlo SS from a neighbor that has 225K. Neighbor has had it since it was almost new and claims he always changed the oil at 3,000 miles only using Valvoline Conventional oil. Would be interesting to see how conventional oil holds up over a lot of miles. Guess I need to pull up their website.

$28 for the base analysis and an additional $10 to check the additive effectiveness (TBN). Both of the tests I posted included both tests so $38.

What year is that Monte Carlo? Cool!

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
What year is that Monte Carlo? Cool!
2004. 3800 Supercharged V6 front wheel drive.

This one is black with silver accents, almost identical to the Intimidator Special versions.

Very good looking cars (any 2 door coupes are rare today) but wish it was the older V8 RWD. First thing will be to add a gear. Engine seems to produce power but with the high gear it just does not respond very well. Will not do much more then that as this is really just a "back-up" car for the family when someone car is "out of commission".

Thanks for the information on the lab. I think this will be a good investment even if I only have it done once.

·
Premium Member
14,121 Posts
Love the comments with the analysis. Ever thought of switching to full synthetic to see if the metal content drops? Might be a way to determine if full synthetic is worth the extra cost?

·
Administrator
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Love the comments with the analysis. Ever thought of switching to full synthetic to see if the metal content drops? Might be a way to determine if full synthetic is worth the extra cost?

I probably will leave that experiment to another :) My use case is not that harsh, so it would seem the cost might not be worth it. I do use synthetic in my '01 because it's supercharged and was intended for road course duty. Of course, these days, it doesn't get that kind of a workout.

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
:D Thanks for posting the oil analysis results. Interesting comparison on each oil change.

·
Registered
83 Posts
A DIY oil change with Mobil1 and OEM filter costs about $50 at Walmart, so very close to the cost of doing analysis. Seems cheaper to just change it a bit early, than doing tests, no? :D But glad somebody did. At least we know it can be extended if needed, like more highway miles than normal. I don't think 10 quarts are really needed, but guess it's better to have more than less, right? :) I'll probably do the first change at 3K, like I did with the 3.5EB truck. Unless it's actually better to dump the 'break-in' oil on this engine after 1K miles.

·
Administrator
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did this tracking on my 2015 Mustang GT from the start to have actual measured amounts of components because I like the science of it. I am not certain why you would have less than 10 quarts since that is the recommended amount for this version of the 5.0L, and I certainly wouldn't to risk the factory warranty with running less. Regarding the change interval, it would be interesting to me to compare an analysis of the component concentrations with other intervals that people use, particularly doing earlier changes. Oil changes seems to be as much religion as science sometimes :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I meant Ford putting less than 10 quarts. Of course I'm not going to put any less (I always keep oil topped off in all my vehicles). Guess I'll have to think in which ways what I'm saying can be misinterpreted, and then add it to my posts. Ha ha. Guess they put 10 to be able to extend oil changes more, which I'd never do, but who knows. Also better baffling reduces oil volume needed, which would have been nice to take some weight off the nose :).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts