Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put the Kenne Bell 2.1 SC on their Bullitt? I am thinking of going the twin screw SC way and was just wondering if it is worth it compared to the Vortech and Novi SC set-ups.

My Bullitt is NOT a daily driver, only used on the weekends. I am assuming the Kenne Bell kit includes all needed components, but I will call to confirm. The kit I am looking at is around $5400, so I am not sure if this kit is the best way to go or not.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Some people would say the centrifical would be better just because you have a boost controler, but I would say go for the KB. It adds hp/trq to the entier rpm range, from idle to redline. At least with the KB you don't have to wait till you hit 3000-4000 rpm to get the full appreciation of boost. The KB does come with all components to install with even a chip for your computer, the form to fill out is long, but it covers all just about every aspect of your car (thats how they make you a chip). My last point on why the KB is easier to install is the fact that it's strait foward. No down tubes, intake/exhaust pipeing. Just disconnect the injectors and fule rails. Take off the intake manifold, replace the collant crossover, drop the KB in, connect the tb, air intake, and blowoff valve, slap in the custom programed chip, and enjoy. Well its not THAT EASY, but you get the picture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
I have the 2.1 one on my Bullitt. I am very pleased with the Kenne Bell. At 2000RPMs I gained 100 ft lbs of tourque and about 75hp. The car drives like it has a big block.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,977 Posts
I have the 1.7 intercooled kit on 1543 for 3 years now, am very happy. Of course K-B has upgraded the kits since mine came out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,478 Posts
DHGBULLITT said:
I have the 1.7 intercooled kit on 1543 for 3 years now, am very happy. Of course K-B has upgraded the kits since mine came out.
I have the 1.7 kit as well.

I don't think that anyone who has a KB kit has a complaint.

(except maybe for their customer service)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,977 Posts
Bullitt_5135 said:
I have the 1.7 kit as well.

I don't think that anyone who has a KB kit has a complaint.

(except maybe for their customer service)
Yes sometimes that is left on the table so to speak, but I am very happy with mine and do not regret ever buying it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,773 Posts
I dropped 3230 off to MPH this weekend for some follow up work. They are in their new place...lord have mercy they just continue to expand...the new place is AWESOME!! While there, they gave me a ride in a Cobra with a KB....ya...I had the same impression, felt like a big block with gobs of torque and INSTANT go at any RPM.....lord that thing made my built NA Bullitt feel like a 4 cylinder Toyota sedan............yup.....after riding/driving in cars with both types of blowers...I would have to say if I were to get one over the other....I'd go for the KB

As for any issues re customer service with KB, I would recommend you simply get it done by MPH........as for customer service, you cannot beat MPH.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
I wish I was able to put one on. I orderd * TS1000-99-INT KIT 140 4999.00 6-14** PSI KIT W/AC ('99-'04 4.6 MUSTANG 2V) INTERCOOLED INCLUDES BOOST-A-PUMP, CHIP (**14 psi kit NOT 50 State Legal) 2.1L with all the upgrades(** F3004-EC KIT 10 812.00 90MM METER/BIG TUBE KIT/SWITCH CHIP UPGRADE/COLD AIR KIT/75MM THROTTLE BODY ('96 UP 4.6 MUSTANG 2V))for my 04 GT, but some kind of SNAFU happend. It turns out that hey don't do 3rd party deals. I bought it through AMP performance, and they bought it from a KB dealer. Sadest day of my life when they told me that the deal couldn't go through. But I did get my 6 grand back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
987 Posts
1fstbullitt said:
I wish I was able to put one on. I orderd * TS1000-99-INT KIT 140 4999.00 6-14** PSI KIT W/AC ('99-'04 4.6 MUSTANG 2V) INTERCOOLED INCLUDES BOOST-A-PUMP, CHIP (**14 psi kit NOT 50 State Legal) 2.1L with all the upgrades(** F3004-EC KIT 10 812.00 90MM METER/BIG TUBE KIT/SWITCH CHIP UPGRADE/COLD AIR KIT/75MM THROTTLE BODY ('96 UP 4.6 MUSTANG 2V))for my 04 GT, but some kind of SNAFU happend. It turns out that hey don't do 3rd party deals. I bought it through AMP performance, and they bought it from a KB dealer. Sadest day of my life when they told me that the deal couldn't go through. But I did get my 6 grand back.
Ouch.:neutral:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
Been thinking about the K-B myself may I ask has anyone had problems with the 3650 after the K-B install? Any clutch upgrades??

Thanks-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,478 Posts
FordFan said:
Been thinking about the K-B myself may I ask has anyone had problems with the 3650 after the K-B install? Any clutch upgrades??

Thanks-
It's probably a good idea to upgrade your clutch but by no means a requirement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,763 Posts
1fstbullitt said:
Some people would say the centrifical would be better just because you have a boost controler, but I would say go for the KB. It adds hp/trq to the entier rpm range, from idle to redline. At least with the KB you don't have to wait till you hit 3000-4000 rpm to get the full appreciation of boost. The KB does come with all components to install with even a chip for your computer, the form to fill out is long, but it covers all just about every aspect of your car (thats how they make you a chip). My last point on why the KB is easier to install is the fact that it's strait foward. No down tubes, intake/exhaust pipeing. Just disconnect the injectors and fule rails. Take off the intake manifold, replace the collant crossover, drop the KB in, connect the tb, air intake, and blowoff valve, slap in the custom programed chip, and enjoy. Well its not THAT EASY, but you get the picture.
Boost controller?!?!?!?! Nope, it's the same as the KB, you need to swap out the pullies to change the PSI. The only things that use a boost controller are turbos.

And acutally the KB has an internal BOV, there is no need to install one. Also remember, it all depends on the Car. My car stock with a vortech and 8psi is running 410rwhp and 420 rwtq, and Ive seen others with the KB make less. also this wait time you talk about, is non existent. First gear in my car is pointless unless your running slicks or Drag radials. 2nd isnt much better. the "wait" time for the boost is less than half a second. when it comes down to it. it's all a matter of what you want. you can get the same #s with both or, less with one or the other. both kits are a great choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,853 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
Boost controller?!?!?!?! Nope, it's the same as the KB, you need to swap out the pullies to change the PSI. The only things that use a boost controller are turbos.

And acutally the KB has an internal BOV, there is no need to install one. Also remember, it all depends on the Car. My car stock with a vortech and 8psi is running 410rwhp and 420 rwtq, and Ive seen others with the KB make less. also this wait time you talk about, is non existent. First gear in my car is pointless unless your running slicks or Drag radials. 2nd isnt much better. the "wait" time for the boost is less than half a second. when it comes down to it. it's all a matter of what you want. you can get the same #s with both or, less with one or the other. both kits are a great choice.
Aaron you do an awesome job representing us Centifugal guys but I think that you might even agree that the KB does have a bit of advantage in "cool factor". All things being equal (which they aren't necessarily) I'd have chosen the KB if I had the opportunity just because of the unique sound and looks the KB has. I love the Vortech but there's just something about the whine of the twin screw that sounds nasty! Like you say though, both are awesome upgrades over stock...John R :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
i saw a 2.1 kenne bell gt this weekend at the track do mid 12 at 111mph.... it was bone stock except for the kb and gutted cats, catback and all was stock, stock airinlet everything and on top of that it was the non intercooled kit running 9psi pulley
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
987 Posts
It really is all what u want.

I have a friend with a stock GT with a KB. My bullitt has the Vortech.

We have raced each other and I will agree off the line and mid range the KB is great but it lacks in the top end area. Unlike the Vortech it has mid range but keeps pulling hard in the topend the lowend is a easy fix with some gears and Vortech's react really good to gears.
Thats y the KB site recommends that you stay with 3.27's so u can keep some what of your top end speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
Boost controller?!?!?!?!.
Sorry I ment TURBOS

Mr.BULLITT said:
And acutally the KB has an internal BOV, there is no need to install one. also this wait time you talk about, is non existent. First gear in my car is pointless unless your running slicks or Drag radials. 2nd isnt much better. the "wait" time for the boost is less than half a second. when it comes down to it. it's all a matter of what you want. you can get the same #s with both or, less with one or the other. both kits are a great choice
:nerd: I kneel at the foot of the boost and forced induction knowledge mountain that is Mr.BULLITT!!!!

Hey, I know that changing pullies is the only way to increase the psi in a KB, so I'll give you that. I'll even give you the fact that at a higher rpm, your a better performer, but, with that being said. How often will anyone, on a practical basis, with or without forced induction climb to over 4k? I know I gun it every once and a while, but 4k is as high as I go. Unless your street racing or drag racing I don't see the point of using the upper rpm range. I do agree that either is a good upgrade, but as far cool factor the KB is much cooler. It looks almost stock and that whine WHOOO!! Thats my opinion anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,763 Posts
1fstbullitt said:
Sorry I ment TURBOS



:nerd: I kneel at the foot of the boost and forced induction knowledge mountain that is Mr.BULLITT!!!!

Hey, I know that changing pullies is the only way to increase the psi in a KB, so I'll give you that. I'll even give you the fact that at a higher rpm, your a better performer, but, with that being said. How often will anyone, on a practical basis, with or without forced induction climb to over 4k? I know I gun it every once and a while, but 4k is as high as I go. Unless your street racing or drag racing I don't see the point of using the upper rpm range. I do agree that either is a good upgrade, but as far cool factor the KB is much cooler. It looks almost stock and that whine WHOOO!! Thats my opinion anyway.
LMAO. Yes that is true, but why put the power there if your never going to use it :)

also Paul will back me up on this that the vortech does push power at lower rpms than you'd think. and the pick-up a KB or roots type gives you initialy isnt all that much.

That being said, when i get my DSS motor i am going with a 2.6L KB and 16psi, but i'm also planning on running at least 650rwhp maybe more depending on what i want once I acutally get the money together for it.

And if your looking for something that is mean sounding. the kb is great for a surprise since you dont hear it under idle, but the vortech / paxton and prochargers make a nice wistle at idle up to redline. :)


also, you only go to 4k??? thats not fun at all lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
LMAO. Yes that is true, but why put the power there if your never going to use it :) .
Very true.

Mr.BULLITT said:
the vortech does push power at lower rpms than you'd think. and the pick-up a KB or roots type gives you initialy isnt all that much.
I actualy did not know that sir. It has always been my assumption that centrifical/turbos have to get up to high rpm's before they really start to "work".

Mr.BULLITT said:
also, you only go to 4k??? thats not fun at all lol.
I know, I know. I'm ashamed to admit it. You see I have this condition called twinkel toed-alitis. A cousin of the lead foot-alits syndrome that commonly plagues the Bullit owner. So far, the medical community has not found a cure :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,763 Posts
1fstbullitt said:
I actualy did not know that sir. It has always been my assumption that centrifical/turbos have to get up to high rpm's before they really start to "work".


I know, I know. I'm ashamed to admit it. You see I have this condition called twinkel toed-alitis. A cousin of the lead foot-alits syndrome that commonly plagues the Bullit owner. So far, the medical community has not found a cure :cry:
Yeah you dont get full boost till like 5500rpms but the it starts climbing(at least in my car) at 2000


Thats a good thing though. keeps you out of trouble outside of the track.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top