Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my beloved DHG 5135 up to the quarter car wash (that now costs $1.50!!!) to give her a bath because she needed it and it was too dark to wash it at home.

In the bay next to me was a high-school kid with a 2000 GT. I gave her a little rev as I pulled into the bay and he came over to see what was up. I was showing her off, pointing out the subtle difference between mine and a regular GT. I popped the hood, showed him the intake, pullies and then the sticker. I told him this proves it is a true Bullitt, as it is a hologram sticker and can not be counterfeited. His punk response was "what good is the sticker? you can buy all these parts and make a Bullitt yourself." I said that is true, however, it would not be a Bullitt, it would be a wanna-be. He didn't understand the fact that an ORIGINAL vehicle would be more valuable than a vehicle that someone just stuck some stickers and emblems on. He even said that it just doesnt look complete with no spoiler. I tried to explain that the lack of a spoiler was a GOOD thing, but he wasn't gettin it.

Now the good part, after looking over my vehicle, I went to check his 2000 GT out. He pointed out his new white "Cobra R" wheels (fakes) and the Steeda emblem on the back (fake) the 2001 hood scoop (not original on his vehicle, it's a 2000). Showed off the inside with other Steeda interior items (shift know, pedals, etc.) and the even asked for my assistance in applying a "STEEDA" windshield decal. He started telling me that he wanted to get a new spoiler, one that would do something. I pleaded with him not to get a huge wing on it, please do not turn it into a Honda-wanna be. He was hard to convince, I'm not sure I did.
Does anyone else see the irony between the comment he made about the sticker (which proves mine is real) and all the parts he is putting on his to turn it into something that it is not? He didn't seem to get it.....

To his credit, there were no "TYPE R" decals on it.....

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Seems to me, this is just a reflection of the general attitude of young people these days. All show. Appearance is everything. No matter if there's any substance to anything. JMHO. I know there are some 20-somethings here on the board that will disagree.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Y2K16T8 on 2001-12-07 07:42 ]</font>

·
Registered
716 Posts
young...dumb...and full of.....

·
Registered
724 Posts
Let's not confusse age with stupidity! I am probably considered young by most of the people on this forum, but I have good taste. Some people will never learn though.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey 5135, he,ll get it one day, but not right now. I too used to be one of those stubborn go with the fad kids. I did not care how stupid my car looked to other people, as long as the other kids thought it was cool, I was living high. I was into lowriders in the early 90's and had two show trucks. Then one day it hit me, I am getting older, and my car really does look stupid. So, I went back to my first true loves prior to driving, MUSCLE CARS! I have always wanted a '70 Chevelle and now I have one. I have always loved the movie "BULLITT", and now I have the ultimate
souvenir. I find that with older cars, You get the general thumbs up from just about every age group. The Bullitt is a bit more limited to older crowds, but hey I would not give it up for anything. I consider myself kind of an oddball anyway since I really like pre-war street rods and originals, which someone my age, 28, probably would not express too much interest in.
Anyhow, kids nowadays are into those ricey, "Fast and Furious" types of cars, but most teens go through that flavor of the month fad, and I bet that when they get older, they probably won't be saying "Man, I wish I had my Civic Type R with the purple, blue and yellow paint and my umtogushi suspension and craptogeeki tires that I had when I was 17. "The kids probably would not fit in it anyway."
Sorry to those that I may have offended, this is just my opinion and to each his or her own. I know what I liked when I was a young dreamer and it coincides with what I like today. Alleviate my late teens and early 20s, and you would not see a change. :smile:

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am in my early twenties and I would never do anything tacky to either my Bullitt or my Ram Air.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's all about show and no-go
with the spoiler so high and the chassis so low
Yet through the dark tint and the bright fog light glow
I don't need a hint, because I already know
that despite all the decals and loud exhaust noise
it is a gutless car driven by stupid rice-boys!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Love it RETRO.....

Did you come up with that yourself???

Now keep in mind this kid had a nice 2000 GT, it was his plans for it that were a little disturbing.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Wish I could take credit for it, but I found it on one of the rice boy sites. Cracked me up and seemed very appropriate here.

I used to love hunting rice in my '94 Impala SS. That car ran 13.5'[email protected] on street tires in full street trim (heavy @ss full size spare and all :wink: ). Used to love the looks on their faces when a HUGE 4 door would leave them in a cloud of tire smoke. :grin: I haven't had any challenges in the Bullitt yet, but I'm sure by next spring it'll start happening. :smile:

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
i like Nvr2fast's answer. i was fairly arrogant, ricey, and not quite as mature when i was a kid. my ideas of what was cool and who "got it" and who didn't has changed quite a bit over the years (too many years...don't ask!-LOL)most of us change and mature a lot as we age!
the only difference was that even in high school, the most important thing was the "Go Fast" mods!! (headers, carbs, intakes, & exhaust) always was! (but Mods are a LOT more expensive now days!) we did spend time and money on "look good" Mods that in retrospect, really make me laugh today
( fake scroll work on the hood and sides, Hood pins and locks, header and intake stickers on the windows, and many more things that are pretty funny now that i think about them!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
What concerns me is how are kids like this getting these types of cars in HIGH SCHOOL? If their parents are giving them to them, they are not doing them any service as the kids will never learn the value of their cars (or anything else for that matter).

I had friends in high school who got cars like this from their parents and 2 of them ended up looking something like this: http://www.bullittclub.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=4565&forum=11

If I ever *help* my kids get their first car, its going to be a used tank and they're going to have to pay me back what they couldn't put down (just like a bank). If they want a hot rod, they'll just have to work to earn it. Then at least they'll respect their cars and others as well.

Parents should never *give* their kids something like a car, no matter how much money they have or how good the kid is.

This is just my $0.02.

·
Registered
540 Posts
k boys and girls... i am 20 all my friends are into the rice-boy stuff. they all own imports with the stupid 12" wings and painted wheels, and chrome fire extinguisher on the pillar. If that is what they like that is fine, as for my car.... i am only into the go fast stuff. i am not altering the body one bit.
For example, all my friends have bought there own car(same as me) we all live in a 6 bedroom house that we rent, we all work, and we all have bad ass toys. In the driveway we have an acura nsx(top half black bottom half yellow) a red m3 beamer(that is so low that he can't pull into the driveway without scraping)and a black m3, a lexus gs400 (20" rims and limo windows) my bullitt, a prelude that is as ricey as you can get, and all of us have a POS car that we drive daily.

the point is our perants didn't buy us any of these cars, we all take care of them, and we all like to have fun.

point being. kids can be successful and have nice things and respect everything just as much as a 40 year old. hell i bet we have more fun a long the way too.
i wish my perants bought me my car, that wouldn't stop me from taking care of it.

just don't discredit kids.

·
Registered
55 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-07 12:27, BullittMike wrote:
What concerns me is how are kids like this getting these types of cars in HIGH SCHOOL? If their parents are giving them to them, they are not doing them any service as the kids will never learn the value of their cars (or anything else for that matter).

I had friends in high school who got cars like this from their parents and 2 of them ended up looking something like this: http://www.bullittclub.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=4565&forum=11

If I ever *help* my kids get their first car, its going to be a used tank and they're going to have to pay me back what they couldn't put down (just like a bank). If they want a hot rod, they'll just have to work to earn it. Then at least they'll respect their cars and others as well.

Parents should never *give* their kids something like a car, no matter how much money they have or how good the kid is.

This is just my $0.02.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey I am only 18 and in my last year of high school.
I now work at a Ford dealer here in TX and have been learning alot about diesle's and rear ends.
I think the money I have been saving for 3 years working that I deserve to drive a great car such as the BULLITT , and just ask my mom how much I love these cars.
I respect what you are saying just remember not all of us kids are stupid.

·
Registered
540 Posts
amen team bullitt......

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Well being an old guy,I'll give the kids a break,it's really Detroit's fault.....There is simply no more new,cheap,V-8 rear wheel drive Detroit iron for the kids working part-time,going to school/college,and not to mention insurance! Man glad I lived thru the late 60's and 70's. I mean a 1970 340 Duster,with factory 3.91 gears,for $2700,back then was an extremly good deal....those things would fly!! And very affordable! That's what is missing nowdays!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2001-12-07 16:26 ]</font>

·
Registered
164 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-07 13:01, 4932bullitt wrote:
k boys and girls... i am 20 all my friends are into the rice-boy stuff. they all own imports with the stupid 12" wings and painted wheels, and chrome fire extinguisher on the pillar. If that is what they like that is fine, as for my car.... i am only into the go fast stuff. i am not altering the body one bit.
For example, all my friends have bought there own car(same as me) we all live in a 6 bedroom house that we rent, we all work, and we all have bad ass toys. In the driveway we have an acura nsx(top half black bottom half yellow) a red m3 beamer(that is so low that he can't pull into the driveway without scraping)and a black m3, a lexus gs400 (20" rims and limo windows) my bullitt, a prelude that is as ricey as you can get, and all of us have a POS car that we drive daily.

the point is our perants didn't buy us any of these cars, we all take care of them, and we all like to have fun.

point being. kids can be successful and have nice things and respect everything just as much as a 40 year old. hell i bet we have more fun a long the way too.
i wish my perants bought me my car, that wouldn't stop me from taking care of it.

just don't discredit kids.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay, it's clear some folks didn't read my full post. You're 20, I wouldn't classify you as a kid. You also have a job and work for your car, again you don't fit what I said in my post.

To other 18 year old who replied, I made absolutely no comment at all that kids are "stupid". Perhaps you should read my post again.

My point is that I've had some friends (in High School now) end their lives much too soon because they were given toys that they were not mature enough to handle. If you're a high schooler (or some other young folk) and have a Bullitt or some other fast car, don't think I'm some grumpy old fool, just remember my post and perhaps someday it'll save you from doing something that will end your life early. I like to have fun in my car too, but I do it wisely. I thank my friends for teaching me that I should have fun, but I shouldn't be crazy.

BTW, I also lost a good friend who was 25 about 10 years ago. He drove his Mustang GT into light poll at 90 mph on a busy street and died instantly (he was drunk). So its not just the young people that do stupid things!

I apologize if I offended anyone.

·
Premium Member
18,850 Posts
I was very lucky when I turned 18 and
graduated from high school. My parents
bought me a new 1982 Camaro to take to
college. WOW! Back then mods that are
popular now didn't exist. I don't know
what I would do if I was 18 now. I put
different rims on the Camaro and that
was it. Had a four cylinder engine and
was slooooooow. My dad knew I would get
into trouble with the V-8. I took very
good care of that car and ended up
trading cars with my mom. She got the
Camaro and I got her 72 Mustang Grande.

DHG #3875
Modifications:
BULLITT chase scene recreated on rear dash
with Revell 1/25 scale 68 GT 390 Fastback and
68 Charger R/T metal body models. Unfortunately
the hub caps don't come off the Charger.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Collin Wayne on 2001-12-08 13:51 ]</font>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts