Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I put my first tank of gas in this weekened. Put in 87 octane. Shortly after hid a bit of knocking when pulling.. and have a higher idel at stop 9k-1.1k. So If I up my octane will this square me away. is the A/F setting that lean??/ Should I talk to the dealer about this?????

any input would be greatly appreicated.

PS went to the poney trails cruz on friday.. about 300 stangs.... only Bullitt.... everyone just loved it... Steve Saleen and mustang monthly mag was there... go show.

Thanks Doug

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the link.......good info to know....

I would agree that higher octane is a waste of money, but it is running like dog crap. Therefore, should I call the dealership or try some higher octane.....

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My god I was going on a cruz this afternoon.. and the idle was surging to 2k and 3k and there was spark knock.... any one else have it this bad????/ Called the dealer and they siad to try Chevron.... and try 89.. since I have 1/2 tank of 87 I will put in 91 tommorw and hopefully that will settle it down a bit. Any comments?? thanks Doug

·
Registered
393 Posts
learo, idling jumping to 2-3k and consistent spark knock sounds like worse than just bad gas. Is this a new bullitt or an 00 GT?

and yes, I would definitely top off with 91 or better to try and diminish the effects of the current tank. It definitely won't hurt. After it's gone, try another brand/station of 87.

BTW, my bullitt runs excellent on 87 exxon, even in the houston heat. I try and fill up at the same station all the time since they seem to keep good gas. I think gas quality is real crap shoot.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeh it is a new 2001 bullitt.... that is my old call sign.. so I am going to stick with it.....

I put 91 from Exxon in today.. hope that mellows it out..... I am not sure if I am hearing spark knock.. or if it that cliking noise everyone is talking about... anywho.. I hope it settles down now.. if not I will take it in...]\\

what is normal Idle???? thanks Doug

·
Registered
393 Posts
your idle should be around 685 with the ac off and 730 with it on. This after the car is warmed up.

btw...detonation (pinging) sounds very similair to bacon sizzling in a pan. If you're hearing a "ticking" noise, it could very well be the injectors. Nothing to be alarmed about.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JB VOBRA on 2001-07-24 12:43 ]</font>

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool thanks for the input... I was hping to be able to run 87 octane so when I put my Pro M 87 on and the Mac CAI that I would not be running to lean..... but time will tell......

should I try to get my computer reflased at the dealer to run the 87 octane????

Thanks

Doug

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
ford is blowing smoke up everyones butt with the 87 octane... i have tried both and there is no doubt at all this motor was set to run on premium on 87 performance stunk and there was knocking/pinging, 89 was a little better but not much , on 93 no issues what so ever.runs great, no pinging and much better gas mileage exxon/chevron/shell.doesnt make a difference as long as its premium and i do not use any boosters or additives....

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input texas...... we do not have 93 in Washington... so I hope 91 will do the trick......

Doug

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I never realized that different parts of the country had different fuel i.e. octane ratings. I thought everyone had the same choices no matter where you lived. I have been running 89 with good results, unless I have the AC on and floor it. It still pings. I guess time will tell. I'm not ready to reflash the computer. I saw were they said there was no performance difference with "1" or "2", but I'll wait and see. Hurry up Paul and give us a good performance package for the bullitt. Then I'll be set!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I don't buy that for everyone. Maybe in your case. I don't think that's what ford intended.

My car runs perfectly on 87 octane, just what the manufacturer recommended.

The bottom line is this: run the lowest octane where the engine doesn't ping. If you're having to run 93 octane to keep from pinging, something is either wrong with gas you're choosing or something is wrong with the MAF/computer calibration.

If the car doesn't ping on 87 and you still fill up with 93, you're WASTING money and hindering performance.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Thank you Nasty. I'll check that out. This pinging is pissing me off ! I know i't not good for the engine and hurts perfomance, but mainly it sounds like *&^% to everyone around me as I'm trying to drive around styling in my Bullitt.
Jim

·
Registered
199 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>

If the car doesn't ping on 87 and you still fill up with 93, you're WASTING money and hindering performance.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
How would 93 octane gas hinder performance?

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
I had been running premium in my Bullitt when I first got it then switched to "Cheap" 87 octane later and actually got better performance, better gas mileage and a heavier wallet. :smile:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine idles OK, but I have that same ignition knock. Hate to see the top of the pistons if that continues. Dealer ahs no ideas except changing gas. My elevation is close to 5000 and it seems to have shortage of power on the low end. Tires don't spin much even on a heavy-footed launch with Trac control off. They seem to hook up well, but maybe that's due to a lack of power. Time for a trip to Dyno-Jet.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well put in some 91 octane... with the 1/2 tank of 87 and still hear a ticking noise. Not sure if it is engine knock or an injector. Any ways I am taking it in tommorow. I hope they can nail it down, becouse I want to start putting my mods on soon.......
Doug

1 - 19 of 19 Posts