Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so here's the scenario:

I'm driving home from work like normal on Thursday (3/19). Highway cruising at about 70mph. I get off on the exit to go to my house, and come to a stop at the stoplight, and I notice a light ticking noise coming from my motor. So I pull off to the side, pop the hood, and take a look at the engine compartment, and underneath the car to see if I have any leaks. No leaks in either location. So I continue on my drive home. As the past couple of days have gone by, the noise has gotten louder and louder. I thought at first it was a sticky lifter, but after talking to some people, I am beginning to think that this is rod knock, which is an early symptom of a blown motor. The knocking noise is noticeable at idle, giving throttle in neutral, accelerating moderately, and giving just a hair bit of throttle at highway speeds.

Keep in mind, that I have not lost a bit of power after this knock has surfaced. I don't get after it too much because I'm afraid for the worst and don't want to blow my motor, but the couple times I have run through the first couple gears, it still pulls EXACTLY the way it used to before the knocking noise started.

Anybody have any ideas as to what this problem might be, and what the best way to go about fixing it would be? Any answers and/or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated, as I am looking to take my car to opening day at Rock Falls Raceway to see how she goes through the 1320. :smile:

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
FROM IMBOC REFERENCE - TSB(s)

03-16-04
Engine - 4.6L 2V-TICK NOISE FROM ENGINE-ENGINES BUILT BEFORE 8/29/2003
Some vehicles, equipped with the 4.6L 2V engine, with an "ENGINE BUILD DATE" prior to 8/29/03 may exhibit an engine tick noise that is present at all temperatures during idle. The noise may be emanating from the valve guide area in the Cylinder Head. The noise may not be heard with the hood open.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sounds like what happened to me too. Then 2 weeks later i shot a spark plug out of the head. Wish i had some fore warning

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I would also cut the oil filter apart and look for any signs of metal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts