Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was acually started in another post in the mechanical section but, I decided to move it here for better exposure. Please answer the questions and be honest with your answers if it applies to you.
Part of diagnosing a car problem is to ask the customer about driving habits. So, I am going to ask this>

Do you have the knocking/ticking sound? Yes/No?
If you answered yes, please read the questions below and answer honestly all questions that may apply.>>>

1. Did it start immediately after you took possesion of your Bullitt/GT?
2. How did you break-in your car? Did you break it in slowly like keep the R's down and not get on it for a given amount of miles?
3. Did you 'get on it' from the start?
4. If you answered to #1, did you change the oil at 500-1000 miles?
5. Where do you do most of your driving, in the city (stop and go) or the country, mainly highway driving, very little stop and go?
Daily driver? Yes/No?
6. Do you run through the gears quickly. Do you run through the gears slowly.

These don't represent all questions that could be asked, just what I could think of off the top of my head. If I or any of you can think of a Q to add, please chime in. Just want to get a survey so maybe a little analysis can be done. I hope all with this problem will reply. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2002-01-01 12:27 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
18,832 Posts
No. (not yet anyway)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Do you have the knocking/ticking sound?
Yes ...until temp guage is mid arc (about 15 minute warmup), loud knocking 3-4,000 rpm under any amount of acceleration in all gears.

NO

2. How did you break-in your car?
I didn't. I'm not hard on the car, but drove it like normal from day one.

see #2

Changed at 750...recommended 5W-20

5. Where do you do most of your driving?
50/50 city/hwy Daily driver? Yes

6. Do you run through the gears quickly.
Yes

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
Do you have the knocking/ticking sound? Yes/No?
If you answered yes, please read the questions below and answer honestly all questions that may apply.>>>
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
No
2. How did you break-in your car? Did you break it in slowly like keep the R's down and not get on it for a given amount of miles?
I beat on it right from the start, varied RPMs for first 500 miles though.
Yup
I changed the oil actually at 20 miles(Vortech install necessitated it), then again at 500, 1000 next one will be at 3000.
5. Where do you do most of your driving, in the city (stop and go) or the country, mainly highway driving, very little stop and go?
City, my work commute doesn't even get the car warmed up to operating temp.
Daily driver? Yes/No?
It is now.
When it's cold it gets shifted gently, after it's warmmed up and I am playing it gets powershifted...how else can you chirp 4th?)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is good feedback. Another question comes to mind which should have been asked initially :roll: , WHEN did your noise start, i.e. , mileage? I realize that some answer may be "from the start", but I know many of you have had the problem(s) start with higher mileage. Also, in this thread, please add your name (handle) if you have the problem. It will be a little easier to track and perhaps direct Qs to you. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RenegadeBullitt on 2001-12-30 20:21 ]</font>

·
Registered
724 Posts
I just recently heard the ticking while in 2nd, my car was not fully warmed up though. I haven't had any problems until this cold weather came through now I'm getting 1-2 grind and occasional ticking. As for the poll -I varied the rpm from day one, I did 75% highway and 25% city driving, and I vary on running through the gears, did the first oil change at 1000 miles. Almost 14,000 on the odometer and no probs until recently, there is no way I will take my car to be worked at the dealer that I bought it at.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I havent heard any knocking or ticking yet with 9,000 miles. Although sometimes I do hear a grind inbetween shifts but I think thats inherent with Mustangs in general. I drove the car normally through the breakin period verying the RPM range both city and highway which is about 75% city. I changed the Oil at 1500 first and every 3000 after using synthetic 10w/30 since first oil change.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rodsbullitt on 2001-12-31 13:01 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,593 Posts

No, when the tempature dropped.

Kept the R's under 5k the first 1,000 then did a early oil change. Then drove it like I stole it.

Somewhat.

Yes

City driving with 4 300mile trips and a total of 4200 miles

Daily driver? Yes/No?

Yes

Average, I guess

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: llama_boy on 2001-12-31 13:37 ]</font>

·
Registered
60 Posts
No knocking or ticking (or any problems) yet. I drove it fairly hard from the start - but never redlined it, and I've taken it fairly easy on the trans.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Come on guys, answer a few questions...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt4995 on 2003-12-06 20:07 ]</font>

·
Registered
821 Posts
Just noticed it from the start, at 4 miles....it just turned over 500 miles and still doing it!

I don't even KNOW if at 500 miles it CAN be broken in yet.....I don't get on it much at all, I don't usually drive it everyday.

NO

No oil change yet, will in early March, estimate to have about 1,000 miles on her then.

5. Where do you do most of your driving, in the city (stop and go) or the country, mainly highway driving, very little stop and go? All city, stop and go!
Daily driver? Yes/No? Yes, but don't go out every day!

Usually just normally slow, I don't gun it or get on it or launch or anything...just take it easy!

:grin:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes, I have the knocking, only when it's cold, and only for a few minutes until the engine warms up.

1. No, only when the temperature dropped

2. A little of all of it, but I didn't have an established routine. I did take one really long road trip with under 2000 miles on it.

3. Nope.

4. No, first oil change was at 3000.

5. Daily driver, mostly in town, mostly under 10 miles per day.

6. Typically slowly, but sometimes I feel the need...

·
Registered
176 Posts
No engine noises at 5000 miles. Nominal grinding noise between 1st and 2nd, especially when it is cold. Three oil changes so far, one at 1000, (2000 due to Vortech SC install), and one yesterday. Oil has been Redline or Mobil 1, Synthetic, SAE 5-20W. Drive it gently until at normal operating temps, then mostly normal to ocassionally aggessive. Part-time daily driver.

I do wounder that maybe the Vortech chip and/or the high probablity that I run pretty rich especially at 5,200 plus feet are signifcant factors in not having engine noise. Just a thought...

·
Registered
981 Posts
3100 miles and NO engine noise. Just to be sure, I took my Bullitt off the jackstands and drove it today since the weather is great and I wanted to do an oil change.

I drove my car easy for the first 1000 miles and since then I have driven it rather aggressively. I do get the 1st to 2nd shift problem only when its cold.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts