Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I've worked for Ford for 29 years. I have a few reliable connections. I was told by a dearborn engineer today that production has stopped on the 2001 Bullitt GT. and the final car off the line was # 5582. Thats 5582. I am most confident in this info. I do not believe it has been released yet, but hey, who better deserves this info first, but all of you. As I said, I am very confident in my source, if I am wrong ,I am very sorry, but I don't believe I am.

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you'll look back in other posts, I thing that Mr. T has said that the last # is 5601 but that total production is around 5582. So it may be that the 5582 is the total number of cars shipped?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Did cars get serial numbers like 666 or 1313, etc?

What about the decals the line guys screwed up... I bet more than one decal made it home on a lunchbox.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JayP on 2001-09-27 16:33 ]</font>

·
Registered
533 Posts
3 of the 4 articles regarding "Bullitt Reviews" that 1NASTYFORDGT posted state that Dearborn is manufacturing 6500 with 500 destined for Canadian Market. Sure wish we could get a handle on this. Somebody at Ford has to know the right number.grrrrrrrr

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: whiskycreek on 2001-09-27 17:56 ]</font>

·
Registered
243 Posts
Cool, thanks Mr.T and Bullitt XTC.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE> Total # Produced: 5582
Last Serial # used: 5601 </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I know my math is not very good, but how does Ford get more serial numbers than number of cars produced??? Thats 19 more serial numbers than cars. Do we infer that some S/N's are skipped? If so, then why, and which ones??

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Mr.T and XTC,can you get any tech. data on the engine,such as cam specs. and any intake info.like are the different sections located with pins,or just simply bolted together.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Take a look at some of the other notes I have posted. Part of the explanation in the discrepancy between #'s is discussed.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Thanks, Mr T. for the reliable info.

Brad
DHG #4865

·
Registered
533 Posts
Is this now confirmed and we can put this issue to bed Mr.T ? Do you have something concrete from Ford that backs this info up?
Sure would love a copy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
As long as we are under 6000, I'm happy! The way I understand it from Mr T.'s posts, The cars did not come off the line sequentialy as a rule, that is to say that 5200 may have been the 5300th car off the line for whatever reason, maybe it had the Mach 460, but there was something wrong with a speaker. Would this be the way to look at it or am I totaly off base?

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,053 Posts
That is what's baffling to some of us still. There is a hidden sticker in all Bullitts that had to be applied before all the interior pieces were assembled. Hence, the sticker on the shock tower has to match that sticker hidden.

Some of us with lower VIN #s have higher sticker numbers! :???:

Vicki
DHG#344

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TwoStangWmn on 2001-09-29 10:19 ]</font>

·
Registered
533 Posts
You touched on an idea TwoStang. Maybe we should set up a forum to post our vin's beside our production number and see how it pans out. Maybe then it might make sense.....or confuse us more. LOL

·
Registered
444 Posts
What my be happening is as the cars are being built, some of the cars may be red tagged for reework/repair and the following Bullitt will get the next number. And depending on how long it takes to fix the problem car, several other cars may pass through.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Like Vicki said, since the "hidden Sticker" number must match the one on the shock tower, sticker application had to be before interior installation. And as evidenced by the fact that my build # (365) is 4 lower than Fred's # (369), but his VIN is 1 # lower than mine, the only conclusion I am able to come to is that NOBODY, including Ford can tell us the rhyme or reason for sticker application.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I am going to try and explain this as best I can. Vehicles receive their VIN #'s before they are even scheduled to be built. In fact, the bodies are welded up and painted before they even receive a VIN #. These painted bodies sit in a special building and as soon as a Performance Red Coupe body is needed, it is selected.
Mustangs are not built on the assembly line in sequential VIN order (i.e. VIN #100001 can be built after VIN #100012 and #100005) Cars are built in an order that is feasible for the plant. This insures that you don't have 20 convertibles in a row (the convertible top takes longer to install) or 20 Bullitts in a row (they also took longer to process).
As for the special serialization label placed on the Bullitt's, 99.9% of them were put on the cars in the order that they came down the line. There were some unique circumstances that occured which deviated from this strategy. Again keep in mind that the VIN makes absolutely no difference as to which car gets which label.
Hope that helps!

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,053 Posts
Well! That explains that! Thanks Mr. T. :smile: So 1NastyFordGT, now we know why you have the earlier ID # but a higher VIN!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts