Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled up along side the WRX and we both slowed to about 30. I was really excited about this one because I had considered buying a WRX before the Bullitt. He rolled his window down and I gave him the go ahead, and he hit it, then I hit it. I was surprized by how loud the Subaru was, I don't know if he had an exaust mod or not. I got in front of him right away and pulled away by about two car lengths by the end maybe a little less. He backed off and turned. He looked p*ssED!!! I think that he was pretty surprized. Anyway this is my latest and probably most impressive kill to date. Add another one to the list.

DHG #3729

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitmon on 2001-11-10 03:42 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
DUDE! Congrats. I've been hearing rumors that those cars could really fly! All wheel drive and the sorts. Some TAs and Camaros have problems with them. You've obviously proven that even what might seem invincible is only an illusion of something lesser. Its a great car, but our Bullitts are the best! Good job once again!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea,
all the numbers that I've seen put the WRX right up there with the Bullitt. I've heard of WRX's do 0-60 in the mid to high 5's and the quarter mile in low 14's high 13's but never breaking 100mph. Anyway I was glad to finally meet up with one after all of the hype on them. A cool car, I agree, but no match for the Bullitt.

·
Registered
255 Posts
From a roll they are all ours. Try racing one from a stop and they will give you more than you can chew up to 70 mph or so.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I look forward to racing one from a stop. I'm not sure that it would be more than the Bullitt could handle though. To tell you the truth I expected more out of the WRX in that race, from a stop or not. Either way the best numbers I've seen (0-60 and 1/4mi.) seem to be up there with the Bullitt, but no better.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
From a stop I've seen WRX's eat anything. It's "The Beauty of All-Wheel-Drive". :smile: The thing is, they launch near redline to get that sort of takeoff...plus I would like to see a WRX sound like a Bullitt. The WRX was the other car I was considering getting...I'm a rally fan. I wish North America got Renault Clio's. :smile:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will have to see the behind of the WRX before I believe the hype :roll: And as of right now it's only been in my rearview :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitmon on 2001-11-13 00:50 ]</font>

·
Registered
65 Posts
Good Kill. I used to own a 1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (All Wheel Drive). That car could be revved up and the clutch sidestepped in the rain and it would take off. :eek: The biggest problem with it was the peakiness of the power curve. Catch the same car in 4th or 5th from 2000-4000 and it was nothing but a 2.0L 4 cylinder. It would have to be launched hard in order keep the boost up.

I considered keeping the car and modifying it but I did not want it to sound like overgrown lawn mower. I got my Bullitt instead. Needless to say, I have not lamented the loss of Turbo/AWD. :-B

Well, maybe once or twice in the rain but that is what TC is for. :-B

2001 DHG Bullitt #5093 (Tinted Windows)
2002 Explorer

Other Toys:
1997 Yamaha GP760 Waverunner
1997 Tigershark Monte Carle 770
1994 Yamaha VXR

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bull5093 on 2001-11-13 12:20 ]</font>

·
Registered
466 Posts
The reason (my opinion) you don't see many AWD Turbo Eclipses any more is because those launches are HARD on a production car. I suspect you'll see a lot of ragged-out WRX's on used car lots in a year.

I can only hope the Bullitt holds-up as well as my '90 5.0 GT did. 95,000 miles on one (1) clutch and motor ran like new when traded after four years.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My Eclipse had 118,000 miles and the original clutch. I had bought it used with 48K on it. It was a lease turn-in. I used it for commuting for a little while. My clutch was starting to go when I got rid of it. The car was in pretty good shape for being 9-10 years old.

It did have some problems on the exhaust side about a year before I traded it that cost me about $1400. Overall it was a good car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
One last thing. The ironic thing is that the first race my Bullitt was in was with my wife driving and the opponent was an Eclipse. It was not an AWD but it was funny just the same. My wife smoked him bad. :-B

·
Registered
73 Posts
I guess it just goes to show how you can't judge a manufacturer by a single car. I too had an Eclipse GSX. It was a 1991 5 speed that I bought used in 1993 with 36K on the odometer. By 48K the clutch was toast. This was not my first manual (2 RX-7's and an NX2000). After the clutch was replaced the tranny started making some strange noises. The dealer rebuilt the tranny 2x (both under warranty) with no change. Finally after 3 months of haggling, the dealer put in a brand new tranny (under warranty). I also had problems with the anti-lock brakes and the exhuast as well. I'll be the first to admit that I drive my cars hard and I almost expect things to go wrong, but this car was ridiculous. The bottom line was that this car was quick, but to get the 0 to 60 times quoted in all the magazines, you had to drive it as though you hated it. Its probably the same for the WRX. I traded it after 2 years and 30K miles for a brand new 1995 Mustang GTS that I drove just as hard (if not harder) with no problems at all (except the crappy stock Ford brakes).

I'd be willing to bet that 95 percent of the WRX owners out there won't be able to beat a Bullitt (or any GT) for that matter, because they won't drive their cars the right way.

·
Registered
65 Posts
dfresh,

I agree with you 100% on how they need to be driven as if you hate it to get the best out of it. The earlier years had more problems than the 93-94 years, but I distinctly remember reading about transmission problems with them. The engine was supposed to be real solid though. I am curious to know what exhaust problems you had. Mine were sheared exhaust manifold studs and a cracked exhaust manifold. The only reason it cost so much is because the first shop screwed up. I got back from them and it was leaking oil(turbo gasket). They said that it was not related to anything they did. Funny but it did not leak oil before they touched it. :roll: Anyway they replaced only the 1 stud. and after it was all tightened down it later cracked the manifold and sheared another stud. I had a more reputable shop replace the whole thing.

2001 DHG Bullitt #5093 (Tinted Windows)
2002 Explorer

Other Toys:
1997 Yamaha GP760 Waverunner
1997 Tigershark Monte Carle 770
1994 Yamaha VXR

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bull5093 on 2001-11-13 16:10 ]</font>

·
Registered
73 Posts
"I am curious to know what exhaust problems you had. Mine were sheared exhaust manifold studs and a cracked exhaust manifold."

I had the same exact problem with mine. This was not covered by the warranty, although it "only" cost me $700 to have the dealer fix it. It was a good performing and handling car, just way too delicate. Overall, owning that car convinced me of 2 things:

1. Never to own another Mitsu
2. Never to buy another used car as my daily driver.

Regards,
Dfresh (dhg#294)

·
Registered
582 Posts
I raced a WRX the other day too. And i am surprised that i am not the only bullitt owner who was thinking of getting one. Anyway i was driving and i see this black WRX in front of me. And as we stop i am behind him in the light i thought it was a chick driving the car. I then heard the exhaust and when i looked believe it or not i saw 6 exhausts coming out for the back. 3 on the right and 3 on the left. I was like damn this chick must be crazy. I think the WRX sounded like a riceing tank with all that sh*t. It sounded was too strong you know like it was too much. Anyway so i was messing around with the WRX until we got to the next light. I put my car next to the WRX's and to my surprise it was a guy driving so i reved my engine several times and so did he. So at that point i knew it was on. My friend next to me was like damn we are going to kill it. Once the light turned green i floored it but to my surprise before shifting to 2nd i was alreayd gaining a couple of feet so i shifted slow and took my time and by the time we got to the next light i had still been infront. Then he tried to race me many times after but i was always ahead. At the last light once i passed him he took a right turn. I guess he didn't know what a Bullitt was. However i am very impressed because in Motor Trend or Car and Driver i think it says the bullitt does 0-60 in 5.8 and says the same about the WRX. Its funny cause Mustang 5.0 says our car does it in 5.33 or something. I feel like our car go much faster than 5.8 but whatever i guess Motor Trend or Car and Driver know their cars more than i do.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I to came very close to buying one. I also tried out an Eclipse but I was to tall for it. But I'm sure I made the right choice after driving my Bullitt for a while. Now if only Ford's quality was as good as the rice burners.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts