Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a Bullitt that has door locks that lock automatically once the vehicle is in motion? Mine don't. The owner's manual says automatic Mustangs do. Odd, because my manual-trans SVT Focus has that feature.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
If you read through your manuals, it should advise you on how to disarm the feature if you do not like it. We have a Tribute with the feature, but it is turned off. Only four legged kids, and I doubt that anyone would want to get in with them to steal the car if you know what I mean. That, and the fact that I don't like the clicking locked/unlocked. I also don't want them unlocking just because I put the vehicle in park and shut off the engine. That is something that we do while waiting in drive-in waiting lines, so much for security... When I lock it, I want it to stay locked.

·
Registered
930 Posts
No...not a good idea...imagine you're in an accident, unconcious... car burns, no-one at the scene can gain entry to your car because the doors are locked...they stand back and watch...wishing they had marshmallows...

or, you lose concentration, accidentally drive into the Suez canal, the water shorts the electrics...you can't open the doors and sit gazing up through the windscreen at Israeli soldiers laughing at you as you drown...

seriously not a good idea - which is why they don't have this in Europe...too many rivers, canals, lakes, ponds, large puddles etc...

three people died here in Germany in the last cold snap from driving into canals and rivers...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Arkady001 said:
No...not a good idea...imagine you're in an accident, unconcious... car burns, no-one at the scene can gain entry to your car because the doors are locked...they stand back and watch...wishing they had marshmallows...

or, you lose concentration, accidentally drive into the Suez canal, the water shorts the electrics...you can't open the doors and sit gazing up through the windscreen at Israeli soldiers laughing at you as you drown...

seriously not a good idea - which is why they don't have this in Europe...too many rivers, canals, lakes, ponds, large puddles etc...

three people died here in Germany in the last cold snap from driving into canals and rivers...
Rob,

So I think what you're saying is that I could die if I activate this feature.
Could you be a little more graphic and specific with the scenarios?
:badgrin:

Just kidding.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Living in the Northeast, originally from NY I thought it would be nice to slow down potential car jackers so I tried to activate the auto-lock feature. The manual did say autos only but it was a little vague so I tried anyway but no good.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
With my two daily drivers I have the automatic locks activated. I like them and my wife does also. On our rides they do not unlock when shutting off or put into park.

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
Arkady001 said:

You have all of my permission to break my windows when my doors are locked and I am unconscious and my car is on fire. I'll roast you marshmallows back at the house when I get out of the hospital...

Do your doors not unlock when you open the handle from the inside? I thought all vehicles did that with your example of driving into the canal. My F-150 has the auto door lock feature, and I really like it. Does not unlock when putting in park, but does unlock when you turn the key off.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
MustangLynda said:
I lock my doors every time I get in my car, old habit from living in the city I guess.

Me too. I even lock the car up in the garage.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
MustangLynda said:
I lock my doors every time I get in my car, old habit from living in the city I guess.

A very wise habit

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
MustangMarkus said:
You have all of my permission to break my windows when my doors are locked and I am unconscious and my car is on fire. I'll roast you marshmallows back at the house when I get out of the hospital...

Do your doors not unlock when you open the handle from the inside? I thought all vehicles did that with your example of driving into the canal. My F-150 has the auto door lock feature, and I really like it. Does not unlock when putting in park, but does unlock when you turn the key off.
Exactly. I want the door to stay locked when I lock it, until I unlock it! I don't want the black box working on some program map unlocking the door whenever I shut off the ignition:redface: .

·
Registered
930 Posts
No, if water ingress fries the electrics, nothing works - if the doors were locked, they stay locked, if the windows are up, they stay up...

And even if your door are unlocked, get out immediately - forget letting the water pressure inside the car equalise so you can open the door - they proved on a couple of TV programs that it doesn't work for at least three minutes - or longer if the car keeps moving underwater - like in a fast-flowing river...

If someone wants to open my door while I'm doing 120mph on the autobahn, they can be my guest. Otherwise the doors are only locked when I'm away from the vehicle - this isn't Johannesburg - we don't have car-jackings here...

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Most cars have let you custom program all kinds of features for the last decade or so. My buddy was surprised I had so few features I could adjust.

I told him "But this is a Bullitt remember? :wink: SMQ and all that... "

·
Registered
718 Posts
MustangLynda said:
I have triple protection so no one gets in my car while I'm in it.
Smith, Wesson, and Glock.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found it. On pg. 84 of the manual, it states auto locks are for automatics only. Regardless, I tried the programming guide from that page and despite the horn tooting to confirm, still no auto locking. Oh well.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I took me a few weeks to get used to locking the car from the inside. It is now very easy for me to remember to lock the ride.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts