Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone took their '19 Bullitt to the dragstrip yet.

I went to the closest DS and they failed to announce that they were delaying the opening because of weather.

On some back roads I practiced with Launch Control and was really having a hard time getting to 60 mph in less than 5 seconds. I've owned many manual transmissions, but either the torque curve, clutch engagement, or my old body is not working right.

I did a 13.60 on my 2009 Bullitt with only a tune. Not great, but basically what the magazines were doing. Plus the SC Coyote I had did very good 60 foots with a stick, so at least I knew how to launch a car.

Am I missing something on the launch?

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
I'm old school, but I'd shut off the traction control and anything else that interferes, DSC, Launch control, whatever.
Rev it to 3000 RPM and step off the clutch and drop the hammer. Adjust release RPM for best traction out of the hole. If it were an automatic, I'd use the launch nannies. Should run in the mid 12's or better. Good luck.

·
Registered
133 Posts
As stated definitely try without using traction or launch control. Also, even our hard compound street tires will benefit grip-wise from from getting them plenty hot and maybe reducing air pressure too. Starting grip at the strip will be very different from the street which doesn't have all the treatment of the drag strip starting box, so street practice might not be that relevant.

I look forward to getting mine to the strip this summer and expect that getting a consistently good launch is gonna take several passes and even after that it will be somewhat tricky to repeat.

Would like to get to a 1/2 mile venue where the car can better hit its stride and the launch is less important.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I wouldnt worry too much about heating up street tires. They get oily, not sticky like frag radials. Lower air and hope for good track prep. Cp;d temps help too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Our tranny doesn't like quick shifts, plus it's not very robust (shift forks are only spot-welded at a few points, rather than fully welded, therefore the weakest links). And maybe the new clutch isn't either, but not sure about that. But it's certainly very tricky to shift smoothly with this car, unless fully releasing clutch after each shift before applying power. That's why I don't plan to ever abuse my car, but curious about what kind of numbers 'abusers' get. Ha ha.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Our tranny doesn't like quick shifts, plus it's not very robust (shift forks are only spot-welded at a few points, rather than fully welded, therefore the weakest links). And maybe the new clutch isn't either, but not sure about that. But it's certainly very tricky to shift smoothly with this car, unless fully releasing clutch after each shift before applying power. That's why I don't plan to ever abuse my car, but curious about what kind of numbers 'abusers' get. Ha ha.
Does Steeda Upgrade the trans for their 100K Bullitt? Sounds like the trans is the achilles heal of this cars powertrain. Like you, I dont plan on getting into track fights and drag racing-been there done that. Maybe some road course fun. Shame we didnt get the Tremec like the GT350. How hard to swap one if the desire was there for high HP and more "abuse"...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts