1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How ...
When...??

(in stupid people terms please...)

any tips, techniques, or info may help....

thanx!

PaLiAcH ~ #915 True Blue
----------------------------
30mm Spacers, Hyper-White Headlamps/foglamps, Customized Interior w/Indiglo Gages, Flaming Grill Pony, Sequential Tails, StreetGlow Products, 3 - 10" Competition Sub

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2001-12-19 20:44 ]</font>

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Theres a few different ways. If you use street tires , and you guys with them correct me if im wrong, launching before breakout is about 2000. With dragradials , properly heated of course, you can launch between 35 and in some cases 5000rpm before breakout. Breakout occurs when the wheels spin and you lose ttraction. You can either "slip" the clutch or just grab it by the beer...hehehe....and dump it. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
With a good cleaning of the tires, I launch at around 1800 and hardly break traction at all. My best right now is a 14.12 but with a 99.70 mph, I know I'm about to break into 13s. :smile:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well I use a little different statagy. I usually bring her up to about 4000 and slip the clutch. Keeping her at about 4000 controlling wheel spin (avoiding that is) with the clutch untill she is fully hooked up. I found this works the best for me at the crappy tracks that I go to. It keeps the engine in a nice spot in the powerband and avoids any bogging.

·
Banned
535 Posts
On BFG drag radials (275x40x17) I dump it at 4500 with almost no spin what so ever. You have to watch out though, cause as soon as it takes off you be at redline due to no tire spin. I also run the tires at 16psi with a really good burnout to heat them up.

·
Premium Member
18,861 Posts
This is great info...I will be referencing
and studying the above posts since I will
be racing this spring and summer.

Thanks Bullittheads!

BTW, I am a novice drag racer...can you tell?
:lol:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just rev it up and dump the clutch...or u can rev it up and slip the clutch...usually if u dump the clutch u don't rev as much as u would if u slip the clutch...hope this helps some beginners??

·
Premium Member
18,861 Posts
I have had it to the strip once. Only got
5 runs in. I was red lighting on the third yellow, .46, .48, .49 etc. GEEEEEZ!
Best ET was 14.7 at 98 MPH. Obviously I have
no idea what I am doing. I am pretty nervous
about the back end breaking loose on the
launch and getting side ways. I have had it
squirm around a bit but as soon as that
starts I am OFF the gas...bad ET. GEEEEEZ!
Launching at about 1500-2000 rpm.
My Bullitt is totally stock. (if it was
modified I wouldn't even be posting this)
:lol:

·
Premium Member
18,861 Posts
At our local track it is 13.99 and below.
I see guys running 11s and 12s with no
helmet though.
I wear one any way for the wife and kids.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts