Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I go out about 30 minutes after getting to work and the car is leaking engine coolant. It is leaking a pretty steady stream from the firewall passenger side in the engine compartment. Sticking out of the firewall about 1'' inch in diameter is a little tube. It is leaking from there. Also it is leaking a little coolant in the driver pedal area. When I turn on the air conditioner is blowing ice cold, but there is fog from the hot coolant. You can smell the coolant in the cold air... Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this??? This B has about 80000 miles on it. Thanks in advance. Travis:cry:

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
it sounds to me like your Heater Core is leaking. that is a common thing to happen to cars. how often did you flush the coolant system. or was it done recently. you can bypass the heater core to get by for a littl time but if you want heat you need to replace the heater core.
Ed

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. It was flushed in Feb this year. I live here in Houston, there is no need for a heater till Thanksgiving...:smile: How would you bypass it?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wholesale a new heater core was only $56. I guess i need to pickup a service manual to figure out how to change it. I changed one in my old honda accord took a few hours, but who knows with this....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anybody have any objections to just bypassing the heater core all together? Its pretty easy with the inlet and outlet so close together. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
There's an old adage that says, "When they're building a car - they start by hanging a naked heater-core on the line, then assemble the rest of the car around it........"

:badgrin:

I feel your pain, BTW.

G

·
I bypassed mine when I purchased 4489. Its so hot here who needs heat? You have to remove just about the entire dash for this. The part is inexpensive but the labor is off the scale. Try around $700 dollars. But again its your car and your money. Best of luck in your decision. My buddy changed his in his crown vic and it was a nightmare. Its the same basic set up as a mustang as far as disassembly and time involved. Bottom line....no fun at all!!

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
You might want to check to see if the push on fittings that attach to the firewall are leaking. I had this happen to mine. The plastic on the inside of the fitting broke and let out a steady stream of coolant. They are a ford only piece and I let them mess with it. But if it leaking in the car then yeah it sounds like a heater core.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just bumping this up as my heater core went out yesterday. Anyone actually get the labor done to replace theirs, if so how much did it run? I am waiting on a quote from a shop I deal with and also seeing about have a friend do it for me as a side job.

Clutch last week, heater core this week, ABS Module next.... Keeping this car is getting very FN expensive!

I'll sell as is for $5k if anyone is interested.... (just under 90k miles)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.