Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my car in for an alignment today and was told my rack and pinion is leaking. Anyone know of an easy way to fix this? What are my options? The car only as 38k miles on it, so I'm a bit disappointed in this news.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
remember the car is an 01 model year, a lot of time has passed since new

·
Registered
196 Posts
read my post... i got the same issue. frustrating. they told me its leaking after an simple oil change and they told me i got to change the whole piece that will cost me about 1000dollras to fix... ehhhhhhhhhh

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
There is a shop in Hurst that rebuilds CV joints and steering racks. They also have a lift in front of the shop to do the work retail. I think they take your rack off and rebuild it, then reinstall. Address is on West Hurst Blvd. Hurst, TX. Just north and east of FortWorth. If your interested. Should be others in your nieghborhoods. IMHO, Just seals gone hard. Maybe a piece of sand in the gasket... With low miles you "know" it isn't a wornout part.:redface:

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I crawled under 1339 today and found the drivers side of the rack does indeed have a leak. The entire boot is damp. It's what the army would call a Class I leak. No dripping, just evidence of a leak. I'm sure it's just a seal gone bad. So now that we know where the leak is what options do I have?

Also, as long as I keep fluid in it, is it ok to keep driving it. Especially to the Bullitt Shootout and drag racing? Or do I need to get it fixed first?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Um, yeah...I think I'll stick with OEM. Is our unit the same as a V6? Found one on ebay for a great price, just not sure if there are any difference related to a Bullitt.

Does anyone know the part number for our rack and pinion?

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
Try this link. Genuine Ford Parts.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=213787&chapter=DP2FW0&appSectionid=21&groupid=10054&subgroupid=61779&make=10&model=Mustang&year=2001&catalogid=1
It appears the V6 is different. The price looks good though compared to O'reilly or Autozone and its OEM.

I've bought from these guys and they had me my parts delivered to Houston in one day since they're in North Texas. You could also talk to Steve at Northside Ford in SA. They are an FRPP dealer and sold me my Cobra A Arms in April. Maybe he'll price match.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
You could always try "lucas power steering stop leak". If anything it may buy you some time??

·
Registered
967 Posts
+1 for the Lucas Oil Power Steering Stop Leak. Good stuff. Used it in my wifes car. Saved me $1200.00. Been working fine ever since.
I used a small pump to siphon out the old fluid from the P/S reservoir, added one bottle of the Lucas stuff. For $7.00, I'm impressed.
R/T.J.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts