Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned to drive a 4 speed Triumph Spitfire my brother owned in 1968. Fun little car but basically a piece of junk. That was also when other full size cars were the size of semi trailers. You'd stop next to an Olds 98 at the red light and look up at it and just gulp hoping you never run into one collision wise.

·
Registered
309 Posts
At least yours would get out of its own way... I learned to drive stick on an '84 Chevette diesel! 5 spd, mb, ms, and the glow plugs were shot so I'd have to start it with a shot of ether down the TB. Talk about an interesting car... :grin: At least I didn't have to drive it as transportation, it was my dad's and I just learned on it before buying my Nova.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife learned on my '78 Corvette and mostly my '80 Triumph TR8 just before we got married and just after. She would drive around in the Corvette in 2nd to avoid shifting! I didn't like the Corvette much. The TR8 convertible was nice but not that fast. I think it's 0-60 was 8 seconds.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well after motorcycles...

My first driving experience coincided with my first stick experience. My mom took me up into the forest and turned me loose in the Jeep CJ. Eventually took my driving test in that Jeep. Made the "Y" turn exercise a real piece of cake. In between no doors and short turning radius, almost did not need a stop-back-go to get turned around.

·
Registered
214 Posts
1965 Ford F-100 without power steering and a HEAVY clutch. It had a 4-speed with granny gear out of a 1956 milk delivery truck. My arms were a little bigger back then. Not to mention my left leg.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My first duty assignment in the Air Force was at a base in England in 1975. I bought a 1959 Morris Minor with a four speed. I had to learn how to shift and drive on the left hand side of the road at the same time. Then I got a 1966 Rover 2000 that also had a four speed. What a great car - four wheel disks, independant suspension, leather buckets front and back and the shortest throw shifter I have ever had the pleasure of shifting. That was the first car I went 100+ mph in - on a winding English road. A member of a local British car club went along for the ride to verify the speed. The club then presented me with a sticker showing my membership in the "Ton-Up-Club" Their way of saying over 100mph. Ahh...memories!

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
I taught myself how to drive stick on my Mom's '81 Mustang 4cyl 4spd when I was 14. I asked a few questions about how to drive the car and then asked if I could drive the car.. Of course I was told no.. not until I was old enough. Well.. being the enterprising sort that I was I waited until about 2 am, got the keys, and pushed the car down the block before starting it up for fear of waking her up.. Which is funny becasue you could drop a bomb in her room and she wouldn't wake up.
Anyhow.. what makes this really funny is that I found out.. just a year ago at a family party.. that my mom did the EXACT same thing to my Grandfather.. Ahhh.. great minds..

·
Registered
173 Posts
I learned how to drive stick on a 86 Ranger pickup and a 85 Tempo when I was 16. I was comeing into a turn too fast once in the Ranger and tailwhiped something sick, I thought it was funny right after, but my dad didn't think it was too funny and neither did I by the time we got home. I look back on that and laugh my ass off.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitmon on 2001-11-05 16:41 ]</font>

·
Registered
123 Posts
I learned on my Mother's new 1981 Isuzu I-Mark. It was the gas engined 'sport' model, kind of a zippy car for a very slow car era.

What scares me is how few people can drive a stick ('straight drive' in Southern), and how poorly it is done by people who supposedly know how. Now that high end sports cars are moving towards 'paddle shifter' clutchless transmissions, I'm afraid we're a dying breed.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Shouldn't say this I was 15 driving a Chevy my friend bought for $300 in 1963. They kept yelling shift shift. HAHAHA they wanted me to drive as I had driven a boat for 3 yrs and we were all under age. He parked it in the next block. His parents didn't find out for about it for 3 months.
jjrocks
Blk Bullitt #2754
Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are you guys ready for this one? I learned to drive stick in #3393. Yep, thats right. I didnt want to even test drive her, so I had the salesman take me out for a while. He gave me a quick lesson and then handed me the keys. I then had the challenge of driving her home in Rush hour traffic. We made it home ok though.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
In Lawton, Oklahoma, in the year 2000 when I was working at Pit Stop. The district manager had a Chevy 1500 with a 5 speed. I told him my inadequacies in driving a 5 so he let me take it to the back of the shop and take it in first and reverse. I had fun that day. :smile:

·
Registered
153 Posts
I learned on a John Deere 4240. Driving a cabless tractor while plowing a field in the 105 degree Oklahoma sun is not a fun way to learn how to drive stick.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts