Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an LED version of the third brake light that goes in the trunk lid?

I have seen a couple of pictures that show a chrome version. That is not what I am looking for. I just want something that looks stock, but has brighter LED bulbs in it.

Is there such a thing?

Lammy

·
Registered
250 Posts
Actually there is a black version with LED'S....I ordered one today. Found it on Ebay and the only reason I thought I'd try it, is because here in AZ I've gone through three stock ones, the sun really eats them up. The price for the led was the same as for an original Ford one, also found on Ebay. Here is the link to the one I bought. Hope it helps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-04-FORD-MUSTANG-BLK-CLEAR-LED-TAIL-THIRD-BRAKE-LIGHT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33716QQihZ017QQitemZ270087517691QQrdZ1

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BaknBlk said:
Actually there is a black version with LED'S....I ordered one today. Found it on Ebay and the only reason I thought I'd try it, is because here in AZ I've gone through three stock ones, the sun really eats them up. The price for the led was the same as for an original Ford one, also found on Ebay. Here is the link to the one I bought. Hope it helps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-04-FORD-MUSTANG-BLK-CLEAR-LED-TAIL-THIRD-BRAKE-LIGHT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33716QQihZ017QQitemZ270087517691QQrdZ1
Thanks.

I'll be interested to hear your impressions on the looks and fitting when it arrives.

Lammy

·
Registered
250 Posts
should be here in a few days I would think...I'll let you know and post pictures if I can

·
Premium Member
18,430 Posts
Actually one of our members had one made up for his Bullitt. It required some body work to the trunk lid. I don't know that I would go there. I was actually thinking that someone would do one on the inside of the cab on the back shelf, but I haven't seen one yet. It seems that other Fords have these on the rear shelf inside and it doesn't seem to deteriorate like those Mustangs that are outdoor cars, and or daily drivers. If I were going to do this to a stang I would merely paint over the old center brake light as if it were part of the trunklid. Just a thought.

My car is out once maybe twice a week, seldom sits in a parking lot (I'm going and or coming from someplace), and is garaged the remainder of the time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
3rd brake

I have been looking for one for my mach1. I like the black one, more stock looking. Has anyone tried getting 3m vinyl cut to fit over the top of the 3rd brake light to protect it from the sun. Possibly the same color of the car. I don't have that problem (garaged or covered in FL) but I have seen lots of Bullitts and V6'ers getting UV damage.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The top of the third brake light on 737 was painted DHG by Lampoon when he owned it. That takes care of the faded red plastic problem. I was just looking for quicker reaction time and brighter output of an LED light. I think it will offset the seqentials.

I was thinking of pulling the thing apart to see if I could just stick a row of LEDs in there from another car. It would be a fun engineering project, but 737 is a daily driver for me right now and I don't have a a spare light assembly.

Lammy

·
Registered
12 Posts
3rd brake

I also have seq. tail lights. I feel the same way about the quicker reaction time on that 3rd light. I want to find a spare 3rd light to try to mod it with LEDs. I'll let you guys know if i come up with anything.

·
Car Whisperer
20,780 Posts
Put on a Terminator rear deck spoiler and be done with it..has the led's in it.

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
The other problem I'm having here in AZ is the heat. The ends up the light tend to warp up and its pretty noticeable. I don't know if the aftermarket one is going to be any different, but after going through three Ford ones, figure it couldn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
DragonBullitt said:
Put on a Terminator rear deck spoiler and be done with it..has the led's in it.
I'm sorry, but rear deck spoilers are not allowed on Bullitts :rolleyes:
The Management​

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jim5081 said:
I'm sorry, but rear deck spoilers are not allowed on Bullitts :rolleyes:
The Management​
Here, here! No wings, STEALTH!

Chin spoilers are OK, but no wings.

Lammy

·
Registered
638 Posts
TuFFstang said:
I want to find a spare 3rd light to try to mod it with LEDs. I'll let you guys know if i come up with anything.
I have one with a slight gash to the topside if anybody is interested?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NJBullitt210 said:
I found this on a site after searching for sometime. . it looks swEEt. . i will be ordering one in the next couple of weeks. so i'll fill everyone in when I get it.

http://www.stangmods.com/Mustang-LED-Third-Brake-Light-p/00513.htm

check it out!
It's the same as the one on eBay. They both say "Option Racing". The one on eBay is $80 plus $15 shipping ($95), the one on StangMods.com is $100 with free shipping.

Lammy

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts
I don't know if this is an option or not, but what about just putting LED bulbs in the light? Someone on here put LED's in the brake lights (not the 3rd brake light) and it looked really tight. I think they got the bulbs off of Ebay or something. They had red and yellow (for the turn signals.) From what I remember, it looked really good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts