Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last week i put on a new set of american racing shelby torque thrust wheels with nitto 555's. incredible difference in latteral grip from our factory offerings. i bought some tpms sensors and was going to make a pipe bomb and stick it in the trunk to satisfiy the onboard tpms sensor, and i havn't done this yet. so far i have not had any tpms warning light to come on. i know the warning light works as i had a flat once on one of my stock tires before changing over to this new set up and the light came on then. anybody else changed out wheels/tires on your bullitt? any warning light issues? i find that i am slightly perturbed that i spent $71.00 on these tpms sensors and apparently i don't need them. based on my experience, i would reccomend that if you are going to change out your wheels/tires to wait and see how your computer will respond before you purchase these new sensors.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
When I put my snow tires on last winter I did not put the bands in them. The sensor light would come on very intermittantly. Sometimes it would come on after about 20 miles of driving, other times after 40-50, and plenty of times it would not come on at all for a number of days. In any event, if it came on I just shut it off and it would stay off until the next time I started the car.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a set of wheels / tires that I use for autox. No sensors in them. I have ran 3 or 4, 2 day events and did not change tires between days. The only time I have seen a TPS warning was with the original wheels / tires after I had the battery disconnected. It went away on its own. I guess no signal from the sensors is better for the computer than a signal for low pressure.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I think they may have desensitized the system for 08's as my 07' Shelby GT would turn it on as soon as the tires hit 26psi.I got in the car on a cold morning and had been running them at 28 on the rears as a test for traction,Light was on.
I did some research and found the threshold to be 26psi.Also found out that many people were getting false alerts etc on the same year models so maybe they aren't as accurate by design now,Different calibration or something like that.
Just put some black tape over the light if it comes on and keep on trucking!:lol:

·
Registered
263 Posts
bmsjr said:
I have a set of wheels / tires that I use for autox. No sensors in them. I have ran 3 or 4, 2 day events and did not change tires between days. The only time I have seen a TPS warning was with the original wheels / tires after I had the battery disconnected. It went away on its own. I guess no signal from the sensors is better for the computer than a signal for low pressure.
That's good news Bruce. I will try it also. I am about to put the car on jack stands to install a Hurst shifter. While it is on stands I will put on 2 of the winter wheels that I use on my 05 GT. I plan on getting wider wheels and this TPMS concerned me. Also eventually the battery in the sensors wear out and they have to be replaced. Would be nice if all you had to do is to run without the sensors.

Any of the guys who bought the wiring diagram can tell us which fuse to remove? Wishful thinking but maybe it is on its own circuit....

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
PICTURES!

·
Registered
263 Posts
TPMS is not easily fooled :frown:

I tried using one of my winter wheels on Bullitt today. All was fine until I hit mile 12. Chime sounded, TPMS icon lit up and "Tire Pressure Monitor Malfunction" message came on. Hit the reset and only the icon stayed on. Iguess the system does check itself periodically.

Someone has to let us know how to deactivate or circumvent the system before I install different wheels.

Speaking of wheels, the old "Mattel" wheel sure looks inadequate...

·
Registered
99 Posts
TPMS

Do a search on TPMS, you will find the information on that system. You need to "Train" each of the sensors. It's a PITA but that's the way it is. You need a tool, (tool) isn't the right word- a black box from Ford. The cost - pictures and instructions are on the forum - you just have to search for em

·
Registered
61 Posts
I also autocrossed on tires/rims without the TPMS. I typically have two venues that our club runs, one is about 45 miles away the other 75 miles away. Every time I have gone to these events (around 7 times this year), my TPMS warning light and chime go off about 25-35 miles into the trip, every time.

For the weeks when I have events one Sunday after the next without a weekend between I will leave the autocross tires on. I've driven to work and back with them during that week occasionally, about 14 miles round trip, without the chime or light coming on. I think that as long as the original tires with sensors are in the vicinity of the car while parked, in the garage in my case, it somehow keeps the watchdog happy.

I eventually went ahead and got new sensors from newtakeoff.com and got the re-train tool for $20. I'm not sure what the SCCA rules are on these things for the stock class to I wanted to make sure I was legal.

Here is a link to the instruction post: http://www.imboc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1870736&postcount=35

PS. I really don't like these things. Expensive, a pain when frequently changing tires, must be replaced if you use fix-a-flat, can't be disabled, etc...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks guys :smile:

Put the Bullitt wheel back on today and all seems right.

Will wait until technology catches up. Maybe a universal sensor in the valve stem for $10. Bill Gates is retired, would be a good time filler for him.:wink:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
originally posted by Kirk:

I think that as long as the original tires with sensors are in the vicinity of the car while parked, in the garage in my case, it somehow keeps the watchdog happy.
kirk,
i seem to remember someone writing about this very thing on another mustang forum. i have my original tires in my shop which is about 75 yards or so from my garage where i usually park the bullitt. i was thinking that this would be plenty of distance for the sensors to not be detected by the car, and now i am just wondering? as an experiment, i will deflate my original tires to see what happens.

·
Registered
61 Posts
BiteTheBullitt0793 said:
kirk,
i seem to remember someone writing about this very thing on another mustang forum. i have my original tires in my shop which is about 75 yards or so from my garage where i usually park the bullitt. i was thinking that this would be plenty of distance for the sensors to not be detected by the car, and now i am just wondering? as an experiment, i will deflate my original tires to see what happens.
HA! That's a good experiment. I look forward to seeing the results.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
here is the latest and greatest...while doing some installs on the bullitt, i allowed my battery to drain down to zero charge. so when i charged her back up everything was reset. this translates into a tpms system that appears to work flawlessly now. the first time i drove it took about 40 miles or so for the light to come on. now the light just comes on upon start up and stays on.

looks like i will be purchasing a programer to reset my new tpms sensors. i am going to attempt the pipe bomb in the trunk scenrio where you attatch the four tpms sensors to a stick, put them in a pvc pipe which has a valve stem itegrated, fill to 35psi and use the programer to satisfy the computer. we'll see how it goes. more to come.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.