Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the day, my "thrill ride" was my 1965 GTO convertible. For years afterwards, I always said that that little GTO was the "fastest car I've ever owned." All these years later, I find myself behind the wheel of a HG '08 Bullitt. I want to say it's faster than that long-ago muscle car... but is it? The head-snap and adrenalin rush are eerily the same...

'65 GTO convertible stats say: 0-60 mph 5.8 sec; 1/4 mile 14.5 @ 100.0mph; Equipment 360hp Tri-power, manual, 3.90:1 rear. (Source: Car Life).

Okay, Bullittheads, how does that stack up with our rides? Who wins? :confused:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't know how they stack up; but the 60's Goats were beyond cool.

·
39,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
walc said:
I don't know how they stack up; but the 60's Goats were beyond cool.
You don't have to twist my arm to get me to agree to that one, Lee! "Three-deuces and a 4-speed, and a 389, listen to her tachin' up now, listen to her whine. Go on and turn it on, wind it up, blow it out, GTO!"

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
Our cars a performance cars and that GTO is a muscle car. Are Bullitts are faster,but the Muscle cars are way cool.

·
Registered
171 Posts
This was listed in another thread here:
http://www.autofacts.ca/classics/fast.htm
The 65 isn't even listed, but the 64 is (along with a footnote on the bottom of the page) and it doesn't even compete timewise with a current Mustang GT. I know nothing about GTO's, but perhaps some of the info will be interesting and give you an idea.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Ahhh....the summer of 1965. A neighbor had just purchased a shiny red 1965 GTO convert,with the Tri-Power setup and automatic. Being a mere 11 yrs. old at the time,the first ride in that thing warped my mind forever!
I still remember the sound and the slam in the back when those three 2bbls. opened up.
Those cars had a sound,rumpy idle and all, that todays modern muscle can't have from the factory!
Hot setup was to get one with the Royal Pontiac Bobcat kit installed!

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
1) ROYAL BOBCAT ENGINE PACKAGE
Includes everything necessary to convert your car into a genuine Royal Bobcat. All 4 bbl. or Tri-Power V-8 Engines.

Includes:
2 -Super Thin Head Gaskets.
2- Blocked Heat Riser Gaskets.
Carburetor Jetting Pkg. Distributor Curve Kit including H. D Mallory Points and Condenser.
Special Hydraulic Lifter Rev Kit.
8-Special Range Champion Spark Plugs
2-Rocker Cover Gaskets.
1-valley Cover Gasket.
2-Royal Bobcat Emblems.
Complete and simple installation and Service instructions.
$65.00, Standard Ignition: $55.00, Transistor Ignition

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,276 Posts
60's GTOs.... reminds me of back in 1971. My Aunt and Uncle had a 60 something Goat. It was blue with white interior, bucket seats, shift on the floor. They lived just outside of Glacier Nat. Park in Montana. We took the GTO for a ride in the Park one day with her 3 kids in the back. I was only 17. My Aunt asked me if I wanted to drive. Do bears $hit in the woods? "Heck ya!" I said!

I only was driving for a couple of miles on the way home and we rounded a curve almost to the ranger station up ahead. A deer came darting out right at the curve and we couldn't see the deer until it was upon us. I hit the deer with the front of the hood. The children in the back were estatic and I was crying. The ranger told us to go on our way. We were afraid to get out to look at the front of my Uncle's prized possession. Lo and behold, it only put a teensy tiny dent in the piece of chrome that comes to a "V" in the center of the hood. WHEW!

I can still remember the sound and the feel of that car to this day. I didn't know it then but I had a yen for muscle cars ever since. :tongue:

·
39,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Moving to proper forum (Nadda Bullitt.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts