Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little local Ford dealer has had two Shelby GTs on the lot for several months now.

Today I noticed a SALE tag for $35,900 (small type "for A/Z plan"). "Just a little more if you don't work for Ford", the salesman said.

The hand-written tag said that the MSRP was $49,000 and that $17,000 was the Shelby portion.

Ummm-hmmmmm.

I'll bet that if anyone walked in with a $35,000 cash offer .............

However, one of the cars has been sitting outside soooo long that the car is dirty and the brake rotors are ugleeeey!

Just what a collector car buyer wants.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
PhotoRick said:
My little local Ford dealer has had two Shelby GTs on the lot for several months now.

Today I noticed a SALE tag for $35,900 (small type "for A/Z plan"). "Just a little more if you don't work for Ford", the salesman said.

The hand-written tag said that the MSRP was $49,000 and that $17,000 was the Shelby portion.

Ummm-hmmmmm.

I'll bet that if anyone walked in with a $35,000 cash offer .............

However, one of the cars has been sitting outside soooo long that the car is dirty and the brake rotors are ugleeeey!

Just what a collector car buyer wants.
I'm not surprised. There are still some of us old timers left around to remember the original Shelby creations. I can tell you that from what I have seen on the web (not necessarily IMBOC) and what I have heard in normal conversations there are lots of folks that feel the Shelby GT is just a joke. NOBODY seems disappointed in the GT 500; but folks seem to expect the Shelby GT to be an equivalent to the former GT-350 models yet falls way, way short of filling those shoes.

The GT-350 models were far enough beyond the base GT models that the extra costs were felt as more justified back then. While the GT 500 now makes quite a statement, the Shelby GT is just barely step up from the base GT. You can buy all the mods over the Ford counter and install them yourself on a base GT, having the same (or better) performance and still come out way cheaper.

If there was a larger engine than the 4.6 (like a 5.0 for example) with 375-400 HP offered and the Shelby cosmetic upgrades folks would probably feel better about getting the Shelby "that is not the GT 500", if you know what I mean ... (???)

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Yep. Always thought you were paying for the name and not the heritage of the car. It's probably why it's not called a GT 350. Interesting though Shelby broke ties with Unique Performance that were making reproduction GT 350s. Wonder if one is in the works from SA? There was a rumor around last year that it was the next new Shelby.

Rumor is that Shelby will use the new 09 Boss/Mach1 engine and upgrade the car from there. What is funny is they have a short 08 run. Shelby GT's stop production when the Bullitt starts. So does that mean that Shelby Autos has nothing more to build....

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
'08 Bullitts will be sitting there with them for the same reasons in my opinion. The Shelby GT is a Mustang GT with the Ford Racing power pack and handling pack plus some ad ons. I can turn my Mustang into a Shelby by adding those 2 items. The only thing Mr Shelby had to do with these vehicles is give his approval. The '08 Bullitt is a DHG Shelby GT.

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
They are "built" by Shelby in LV and not just by Ford with the name slapped on like the GT500. Is what they are doing now really that different than the 60's Shelby Mustangs? Still have a Paxton as an option as you did back then.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
I agree that the Shelby GT is nothing more than a GT with upgrades, like the Cal. Spec. and the new Bullitt. The fact it is upgraded at Shelby in LV just tries to justify the $8,500 or so that Shelby tacks on the price. The Shelby name doesn't have the allure it had when it was building Mustangs back in the 60's. I know the die hard Shelby fans will differ, but the average enthusiast isn't buying it this time around. Shelby has sold his name wherever he could based on the great things he did back in his early days. Just look at the Dodge Shelby cars that were produced!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
chilli bullitt said:
They are "built" by Shelby in LV and not just by Ford with the name slapped on like the GT500. Is what they are doing now really that different than the 60's Shelby Mustangs? Still have a Paxton as an option as you did back then.
I think there's a big difference. In the 60's Mustang's were shipped to Shelby's factory and turned into high performance cars with upgrades he designed. These Shelby's are Ford engineered vehicles with a franchise fee paid to Shelby to add his name. They ship them to Vegas to add the Ford engineered power and handling pack under pretense that Shelby turns them into performance vehicles. I think that's a big reason they're not selling.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Careful dogging the Shelby's now. From what I can tell, the 08 Bullitt is not going to be much more than an "upgraded GT" either. Then, all of us, will get tired of hearing all the "haters" complain and make fun of the Bullitt name. I say if the owners like it, we should be happy for them and not put other "Special Edition Mustang" owners down. The shelby is a good looking, good performing car. Is it worth the extra $? Not to me, but I also only paid 20K + fees for my bullitt when it was new, I thought it was a great car, but a lot of you all over paid, IMO. But if you can afford it, more power to you!!

Personally, I think Shelby can do no wrong (when he teams up with Ford! The "dark years" where he was a mopar man make me sick).

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
clarktl said:
Careful dogging the Shelby's now. From what I can tell, the 08 Bullitt is not going to be much more than an "upgraded GT" either. Then, all of us, will get tired of hearing all the "haters" complain and make fun of the Bullitt name. I say if the owners like it, we should be happy for them and not put other "Special Edition Mustang" owners down. The shelby is a good looking, good performing car. Is it worth the extra $? Not to me, but I also only paid 20K + fees for my bullitt when it was new, I thought it was a great car, but a lot of you all over paid, IMO. But if you can afford it, more power to you!!

Personally, I think Shelby can do no wrong (when he teams up with Ford! The "dark years" where he was a mopar man make me sick).
I guess we're disappointed. All Ford had to do was put on a different hood and quarter window louvres and then it would be really distinctive. But just making a DHG Shelby GT? I personally think Ford could've made it a winner with some effort. The first thing my brother in law said when he saw it was "it's mediocre". Will the buying public say the same thing? Probably.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts