Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have been getting "locked out" of 3rd gear more and more and sometimes I get locked out of all the gears. This sent me on a hunt for info and lookie what I found (if this has already been posted, sorry, couldn't find it on search)

link to looong thread on this issue here: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=462879 (tsb = post 88 )
the original source of the tsb was at Team Shelby but I can't find it there now

Man I dread this repair :(

TSB
08-9-6

4.6L WITH TR3650 MANUAL TRANSMISSION - CLASH OR RASPY FEEL - SHIFTING INTO 2ND AND/OR 3RD GEAR

Publication Date: April 24, 2008

FORD:

2007-2008 Mustang

ISSUE:

Some 2007-2008 Mustang vehicles equipped with the 4.6L engine and TR3650 5 speed manual transmission may exhibit a clash noise and / or raspy (rough) feel on gear engagements during 1-2 or 2-3 upshifts. This condition may be more pronounced when the transmission is colder than 40 degrees F (5 degrees C).

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove the transmission following Workshop Manual (WSW), Section 308-03B.

Replace with new the 1-2 sychronizer and 3-4 sycronizer assemblies, following WSM, Section 308-03B.

Install the transmission following WSW, Section 308-03B.

PART NUMBER

PART NAME

3R3Z-7124-BA

1-2 Synchronizer

1R3Z-7124-DA

3-4 Sychronizer

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION

DESCRIPTION

TIME

080906A

2007-2008 Mustang 4.6L Engine TR3650 Transmission: Replace The 1-2 And 3-4 Synchronizers, Includes Time To Remove And Install Transmission (Do Not Use With 7003A, 7003A2, 7003AZJ, 4602A, 5212B, 7564B)

6.6 Hrs.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO.

CONDITION CODE

·
Registered
761 Posts
Wow!!!I am starting to wonder if they didn't just through some of these cars together just to meet the deadlines.I hope I am not exhibiting this problem with the vibration in the clutch and shifter.

·
Registered
969 Posts
:surprised :surprised :surprised as long as your dealer is doing the repair, you should be alright. make sure they give you a loaner! sorry to hear this. hope this is not what's going on with stvmcqueen too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know what you mean about the tranny. The shifter is junk and part of the problem. You can thank the ford accounting department for that. Upgrade the shifter and run better oil in transmission. I guess ford really wanted to get the car just like back in 68 with Steve Mcqueen double clutching his throws. That also works too but you have to be chasing a black charger.:wink:

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
Bullitt # 5159 said:
I know what you mean about the tranny. The shifter is junk and part of the problem. You can thank the ford accounting department for that. Upgrade the shifter and run better oil in transmission. I guess ford really wanted to get the car just like back in 68 with Steve Mcqueen double clutching his throws. That also works too but you have to be chasing a black charger.:wink:
I would suggest that you run the oil that Ford recommends in the transmission or the warranty will be null and void.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Bullitt # 5159 said:
There has already been a lot of disagreement with a few 'the shifter is junk' comments on other threads. Besides, how would the shifter affect the synchro's? Doesn't it bolt to the tranny just one way? Just curious and understand you have a right to your opinion. :smile:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes that is correct just bolts on but alot of flex in the bushings and mount that holds the shifter in place. Also no stops and stamped steel housing. My friend has a shelby GT with the Hurst shifter and its like night and day.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Hi Lynda,

Sorry :frown: to read here about your Bullitt Trans. Problem.

The good thing is, there is a TSB that addresses the issue.

So, all will be well again !!!!!!!

Terry

·
Registered
7 Posts
My shifter has got much smoother after 2000 miles. It seeemed to catch on something halfway thru switching gears. Maybe it just needs to get used a bit during a break in period. Now its fine.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
onefastbob said:
I would suggest that you run the oil that Ford recommends in the transmission or the warranty will be null and void.
Wrong.. As long as the oil meets FOMOCO's specs, you can run it, they cannot deny warranty unless they can categorically prove the oil caused the failure. Ford recommends what's best for their wallet, not necessarily the car..

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Bullitt # 5159 said:
Yes that is correct just bolts on but alot of flex in the bushings and mount that holds the shifter in place. Also no stops and stamped steel housing. My friend has a shelby GT with the Hurst shifter and its like night and day.
OK, so how would the stock shifter have damaged Lynda's and a few others synchro's?

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
badasbullitt said:
Wow!!!I am starting to wonder if they didn't just through some of these cars together just to meet the deadlines.I hope I am not exhibiting this problem with the vibration in the clutch and shifter.
No, they don't build the transmissions on the line, they are built long in advance.

So the cars were not thrown together.

Lets hope the transmission problems like this continue to be limited.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Bullitt # 5159 said:
the Hurst doesn't have stops on the shifter either.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
tigerhonaker said:
Hi Lynda,

Sorry :frown: to read here about your Bullitt Trans. Problem.

The good thing is, there is a TSB that addresses the issue.

So, all will be well again !!!!!!!

Terry
Maybe even better than new

·
Registered
595 Posts
This problem is not new the 3650 has had problem ever since it was installed in the 01 Bullitt. If you do a search you will see much outrage going back years and a call for a class action law suit. Some one on here had a problem where they where locked out of all gears and the shifter had come loose. IMHO I would try all other options before the TSB above.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jester67 said:
This problem is not new the 3650 has had problem ever since it was installed in the 01 Bullitt. If you do a search you will see much outrage going back years and a call for a class action law suit. Some one on here had a problem where they where locked out of all gears and the shifter had come loose. IMHO I would try all other options before the TSB above.
You mean a different transmission, or shifter, or what?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Check the shifter to make sure nothing is loose at the connecting points. Some one had a problem that was tracked to this. Also a lot of people have had luck with modifying the fluid level and fluid type on these type of trans.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have an appt the first week of September to get this done :-(
I noticed the grinding on 2-3 upshifts during the first week of driving it, but when the weather got warmer it became less noticible. Once I saw this TSB, I called up my service station and told them about it.

It sucks, and I really didn't want someone opening up the tranny on my new car, but I'd rather have this taken care of... I really don't want to be without my car for an extended period of time either, but at least it's under waranty.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Jester67 said:
............ Also a lot of people have had luck with modifying the fluid level and fluid type on these type of trans.
Yeah, there were a lot of people experimenting with different fluids and levels (including myself) since Ford wasn't doing anything about it. The real problem was the Synthetic fluids made the fiber syncronizers too slick to keep up with the dog rings speed. The fluid level also kept too much slick'em on them to keep up.

After much, much disscussion between the determined wrenches of the Mustang world, a fix was found to use the Dino oil and drop the level some, this trick had been discovered by the Mustang guys, not Ford.

Up thru the '03 model year the Synthetic fluid and level remained the same but in '04the 3650 was spec'd out in the owners manual to use the conventional oil and drop the level, this is still the same in our Bullitt's owners manual today. I feel that the Mustang guys really made this happen and not Ford, they just listened to the purists.

Even though Ford had a fix for the 3650's that had issues, and most by the time that problem was figured out, had to have parts replaced by the TSB. If caught soon enough though the problems didn't exist, as long as the Dino oil was used and level was adjusted.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts