Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Locking lug nut removal----Resolved--

I went to remove the right rear lug nuts to remove the wheel and check for a noise in the rear suspension and I was unable to remove the locking lug nut. The previous owner had new tires installed just before I bought it. Apparently the bonehead installer used an impact gun. The lug nut key wont hold onto the lug nut. I was able to get one of the four off. So im three in the hole. Does anyone know of a tool or method to remove these stupid things. Dont say vise grips becuase I thought of that and it looks like they would chew up my factory wheels. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
use a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to get a slot cut in the side of the nut, then a chisel to take it apart, they make sockets for removing rounded nuts or bolt heads, or you can use **** *****. let us know what happens

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've heard of some using a socket that is just a little too tight to fit over the locking nut. It's placed over the nut then hammered on. But of course the socket is garbage once you're done and so is the locking nut.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Tire shops have a special socket to take off locking lug nuts. Find a snapon dealer or other tool supplier and see if they have one to buy.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
I used to twist them off with a crossbar tire iron. Usually required replacing the lug afterwards, but that's a $1.49 at the Auto Zone. It does require some muscle, but the lugs are soft enough to twist off below the locking lug nut. ;-)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went to Home Depot, Lowe's and Sears. They all had a bolt extractor socket kits but they only went up to 3/4". It didnt go over the lock nut head. I found an Emergency locking lug nut remover kit, it contains two different sockets, at Pep Boys $19.99. I had to hammer the socket on real good and was able to use an impact gun at work and it worked.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you have a Discount Tire store near you, you might stop by and ask them to take it off. They have the equipment to do it (the Lug will be trashed) but they will usually do it for free. I have had very good luck with them all across Texas.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I always take the lock nuts off and replace. A thief will get them either with or without.

·
Car Whisperer
21,384 Posts
glad you were able to get them off and hopefully with no damage to the wheel.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup wheels were not damaged at all. Im waiting for replacement (non locking) lug nuts from Latemodel Restoration Supply. My car stays locked in my garage and when its out I dont take it to the mall etc. and I dont go far from it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts