Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
these are the new goodies that got installed:

jba titanium/ceramic coated longtube headers with stainless catted h-pipes
prothane motor mounts
frpp delete plates
tillman speed 93 street race tune

the longtubes/h-pipes fit nicely and the combo was the exact same length as the stock headers/h-pipe combo. with minimal adjustment they mated right up to the rest of the factory exhaust pipes. i also installed a freeze plug in the jba h-pipe to duplicate the factory offerings and pictures of this can be seen here:

http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168430

the exhaust note now carries a lower, deeper, more base like sound with a bit more burbling than before and without any popping or crackling. my stock exhaust never popped or crackled either like some bullitts do. the sound is also louder under wot which is a hoot! i didn't think i would like it as much as i do-go figure? and i am still trying to figure this one out- the exhaust note seems to be quieter under normal cruising at 65 mph. this is fine by me as it makes longer trips more enjoyable. but touch the throttle a bit and you'll definitely hear it. i am liking both of these qualities together in one package. i like riding with the windows down more than i did before as the new exhaust note makes me gald i waited till warm weather to do this install. i also have a set of magnaflows that i will be trying out. i'll post the results here at a future date.

the prothane motor mounts are great! there is hardly any additional nvh transmitted into the cabin, and what little there is only accentuates the muscle car ambiance. i only noticed the difference the first time i drove the car after the install. part of it was probably due to the new tune. after a half dozen romps it is business as usual. a more solid over all feel is the best way too descirbe the new feeling. i am impressed with the design that ford put into the mustang as i expected more nvh after the porthanes were installed than is present. i like this mod!

the 93 street tune from tillman speed is fine. i already had underdrive pulleys and a lightweight driveshaft so the gains from the tune/delete plates/headers while noticeable, is not as "new a thing" as when i put the udp's and the denny's drive shaft on. i am definitely planted in the seat with more force than before when mashing the gas. low end felt the same as before on the first drive, and it appears to be getting better. mid range and high end are definitely improved. it's easier to spin the 285's now for sure. i also have a 93 road race tune from tillman that i have not tried out yet. i will report back on this thread when i give it a whirl. more related to the future are the longtubes and the delete plates. stay tuned...same bat site, same bat forum.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Nice stuff Gerald! I wonder why in the heck the 2 sets of JBA's we tried wouldn't fit!? Alas, they tried to make it right, but I had to eat over $200 in shipping charges!

So is that 'freeze' plug thing easily removable? I'd love for you to report how little a difference it actually makes in sound! ;)

Definitely keep us posted on the Magnaflows as well, They'd be way different on my car because I have the offroad H, but still interesting!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Gerald, Nice write up. Did you look at Kooks and American Racing. I have JBA shortys good product. Oh who are you Gerald or Von.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
originally posted by jymontoya:

Nice stuff Gerald! I wonder why in the heck the 2 sets of JBA's we tried wouldn't fit!? Alas, they tried to make it right, but I had to eat over $200 in shipping charges!

So is that 'freeze' plug thing easily removable? I'd love for you to report how little a difference it actually makes in sound!

Definitely keep us posted on the Magnaflows as well, They'd be way different on my car because I have the offroad H, but still interesting!
thanks, brother! i remember you posting about your jba longtube nightmare you went through. during the install i was noticing thoughts like "hope these arn't the ones jymontoya sent back" would pop into my awareness. hahaha! but all went well. there was one place on the passenger side where i ended up with about 1/2" or less of clearance next to a bolt holding the a-arm in place with the frame. i was wondering if the flex of the factory motor mount might have caused an issue there if i had not changed out to the prothanes. even aligning the mufflers was a breeze. passenger side needed no adustment after initial snug down of the clamps and the drivers side took a 1/4 turn of the over-the-axle pipe where it connected to the h-pipe for perfect alignment.

the freeze plug can be easily removed with a grinder used on the spot welds. with the bullitt mufflers, i really like the sound i have created. i'll be trying out the magnaflows later in the week and i'll let everyone know how they sound.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
change surrounds me

originally posted by cpd0924:

Gerald, Nice write up. Did you look at Kooks and American Racing. I have JBA shortys good product. Oh who are you Gerald or Von.
thanks, john. i did not look at the kooks or american racing headers. i feel they are both really good products. i bought the jba's new in the box off of another forum end of last year. this is usually the way i purchase a lot of my mods because there is nothing wrong with the products and i can get them for a great price. up to half off in some cases-or better. just makes sense to approach it like this to me.

as far as the name... i leagally changed my name a couple weeks ago. my name is now von varnell. i decided that i would enjoy having a name that i selected instead of sharing a name that originally was given to my father. i colaborated with a couple of numerologists to assist me in coming up with a name that would better serve me in the things i would like to do and the way i would like to relate to folks. i once heard it said that if you change your name then you'll change your energy! i am finding this to be very true!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
originally posted by Blindmelon:

Von it is looking good man. Sure some nice stuff you are installing. Keep the mods & info going on.
thanks, snafu! will do. more mods rolling down the road in a big brown truck.:wink:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Von, So thats what it will be. Von Vernell. Von the check engine light did not come on or any other code. Iam going to look into the ones you have with the cats, Are your part #6675 and 6675shc. Like I said I have had good luck with JBA, believe me they will not leak. Be Safe My Friend JOHN

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Headers Etc..

Von,

Well, I finally have gotten caught up to where I could read your latest Thread on the New Mods.

Of course in my case I already knew as We (Von & Terry) are Neighbors. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, nice write up and I (Wonder) what will be (Next) :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=statusquo style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #818f9e; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #818f9e; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #818f9e; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #818f9e">originally posted by Blindmelon:

Von it is looking good man. Sure some nice stuff you are installing. Keep the mods & info going on.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

thanks, snafu! will do. more mods rolling down the road in a big brown truck.:wink:

I think one of your Post made Mention that there are other Mods coming :surprised :surprised :surprised

tigerhonaker

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
parts list

originally posted by cpd0924:

Von, So thats what it will be. Von Vernell. Von the check engine light did not come on or any other code. Iam going to look into the ones you have with the cats, Are your part #6675 and 6675shc. Like I said I have had good luck with JBA, believe me they will not leak. Be Safe My Friend JOHN
john,

the part numbers to the headers should be easy to find with the assistance of google as i never looked them up. i trusted the people i bought from and they delivered. i have zero thrown code issues with the new jba header/midpipe set up. part of this is related to the tune you order. simply inform the supplier of your new tune(s) what mods you have and they will get you the proper tune so you won't have any code issues. in my case, i made sure they knew i had the jba catted h-pipe. it was that easy.
the other part of this is to make sure you get the 4 oxogen sensor extensions. they are plug and play. i did have to remove the guides as they were in the wrong location on the extensions. they are just plastic, no big deal. they snapped and locked perfectly into the factory connectors after that. we have 2 sensors to be connected before the catts, and 2 after the catts. you will need these extensions for the new headers to funtion properly.

here is a complete run down of what you will need if you are going the jba catted h-pipe route.

1) jba longtube headers- left and right
2) jba catted h-pipes- left and right
3) jba header bolts-16 (make sure you get the jba brand as some are shorter to accomodate the design of the headers on the drivers side)
4) jba clamps for header/h-pipe connection-2
5) jba clamp for h-pipe connection-1
6) jba oxygen sensor extensions-4
7) header gaskets--- this is conditional. my factory gaskets only had 10,000 miles on them so i just gave them a light sanding with some steel wool and they were good to go. we received a good set of gaskets from the factory! i'm glad i didn't buy any new ones.

let me know if you need anything else.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Von Bullitt I got the exhaust from storage today & will try to get packed in my Magnaflow box to ship. Great mods you are doing. I bet it screams.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Any Dyno plans?

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
BiteTheBullitt0793 said:
if you look into the crystal ball, you will see :bigguns: in a brown truck.
Von,

I just know this (Has) to be the "Flaming Brown" UPS

Delivery Truck

you are Waiting-For, RIGHT :confused: :confused:

UPS Moto: We Deliver Performance Parts Fast !!!

:bigguns: :clap: :bigguns:
tigerhonaker

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
originally posted by Blindmelon:

Von Bullitt I got the exhaust from storage today & will try to get packed in my Magnaflow box to ship. Great mods you are doing. I bet it screams.

Von Bullitt--HA! sounds like the name of a fighter pilot. drop me a pm for the charges. i'm liking the way she drives now, for sure.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
look out, here come the flames!

terry,

too funny:lol: :lol: :lol: i like the theme of that ups truck, for sure! it looks like sct did that paint job for ups. HA!

and if spidey shows up... it's a done deal! if you get two thumbs from spidey, you might be on to something!

we need a miniature spidey in the smiles section. :toocool:

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
BiteTheBullitt0793 said:
terry,

too funny:lol: :lol: :lol: i like the theme of that ups truck, for sure! it looks like sct did that paint job for ups. HA!

and if spidey shows up... it's a done deal! if you get two thumbs from spidey, you might be on to something!

we need a miniature spidey in the smiles section. :toocool:
we need miniature spidey in the smiles section. :toocool:
Agreed !!!!!!!

tigerhonaker

1 - 20 of 22 Posts