Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am less than 2 weeks from bringing #0005 home and planning for a few mods when I get back. One is to install the SLP Loudmouth cat back system. The other thing which I'm not as sure about yet are the wheels & tires. The original wheels & tires are long gone now. The car has 18x9 anthracite bullitts in their place. I want the deep dish look in the back that so many of you have, so I need to make a change somehow. For a couple of reasons I want to go down to 17" wheels & tires. You can find 315/35ZR17" sumitomo's for right around $100.00 online, while the cheapest I can buy 295/35ZR18" anything is $195.00 from a wholesaler around here. So tire cost is one reason. Also-the 17" tires are about 1" wider than the 295/35ZR18's, and the more rubber on the road, the better off I'll be.
I'm having a hard time deciding on wheel color-I was hoping somebody would have pics of silver painted bullitts installed on their car. I have basically narrowed it down to either silver or anthracite. If I could see pics of a DHG Bullitt with the silver painted wheels it would help me make my decision a lot easier. Thanks in advance for any help...John R:cool:

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
i wouldnt do the loudmouth exaust. the set up they have on that car is perfect.

Also depending on the type of tire:

Goodyear Eagle GS-D3 295/35/R18 is the same width as 315/35R17 sumitommos.

Also stick with Anthracite, i think you would get tired of silver after a while.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I would say stay away from SLP, but that is just my opinion, it's obnoxiously loud! I would also say stick with the anthracite bullitts, the only problem is that you can't get the deep dish 18x10 anthracite bullitts right now. Unless you want to pay a ton for them on www.americanracing.com

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Mr.BULLITT said:
i wouldnt do the loudmouth exaust. the set up they have on that car is perfect.

Also depending on the type of tire:

Goodyear Eagle GS-D3 295/35/R18 is the same width as 315/35R17 sumitommos.

Also stick with Anthracite, i think you would get tired of silver after a while.
I'll get a pretty good feel for the exhaust on the way home, 1300 mile drive I'll be pretty used to it lol. I'm okay with loud on the exhaust, the car will be used very little, and not at all as a driver. I know I may lose a bit of torque, but honestly I love the sound so much I'm willing to give up a bit. The sound is old school, actually reminds me of the movie Bullitt. Besides-unless I do some suspension mods (lca's, etc) am I really going to be able to get that much power to the ground effectively with or without the SLP?

As for the wheels-you bring up a good point about growing tired of silver, I just wish I could see a car with them on it. Maybe there is a reason why nobody has them, I should take that into account.

The tire size issue is a tough one. We installed a set of the Goodyears you referred to on a 2002 GT here, and they look great....but the money is outrageous on them!! Plus-I'm not positive I'll be able to match the color of the fronts on #0005 if I just replace the 9" rears with 18 x 10". I did call Late Model Resto and they will have the 18x10's in anthracite within a few weeks. Also-just checked at http://cruizinconceptswholesale.com
They said they just got some 18x10 anthracite wheels in today.

I guess I'll have to think about the wheel & tire issue. I haven't even seen the car in person yet, maybe I'll decide just to leave it alone. I'm really basing my desire to change on pictures I've seen of some of your cars with the deep dish rears, they just look awesome. Thanks again for your response..John R

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Cant coment on the exhaust, but I have 17X9/17x10.5 anthracite's with bfgoodrich kdw's 275\40\17 on the front and bfgoodrich kd's 315\35\17 on the rear, The tires cost about twice what I paid for the rims but they are worth it, they look to damn cool.

Good luck with the new car!
Steve.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Black4592 said:
Cant coment on the exhaust, but I have 17X9/17x10.5 anthracite's with bfgoodrich kdw's 275\40\17 on the front and bfgoodrich kd's 315\35\17 on the rear, The tires cost about twice what I paid for the rims but they are worth it, they look to damn cool.

Good luck with the new car!
Steve.
Steve-seeing your car just makes another reason for me to want the deep dish wheels-It looks awesome!

I might just buy the 18" deep dish rears when I get back since the car already has (4) 285/35ZR18 Goodyears on it. That size will work on the 10" wheels, though it wont look quite as good as the 295/35ZR18s. But since the tires on the car are fairly new I could just get the wheels now and when the tires are worn out deal with it then....John R
:cool:

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
yeah but the exaust note on that car will be fine. the SLP exaust has a nice tone but it is outragously loud. not even nice loud. but toooooo loud.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
yeah but the exaust note on that car will be fine. the SLP exaust has a nice tone but it is outragously loud. not even nice loud. but toooooo loud.
Agreed, I heard that SLP puts baby lions in their mufflers :lol:

BASSANI FTW!

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
BLACK_2425 said:
Agreed, I heard that SLP puts baby lions in their mufflers :lol:

BASSANI FTW!
Yes Bassani or the new Flowmaster super 44 mufflers with some exaust shop bent pipe would be fine. or just replace the alvin mufflers with some super 44 mufflers and leave the stock pipes, and get either a catless h-pipe or high flow catted h-pipe and you would have the sound youd be looking for.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
There are actually some sites that sell them in odd colors ie:WHITE, Gold, Blue, Red. i think ive seen some silver too, If i had a 04' Cobra in white with all the Sponsers stickers and stuff id get some Blue DD BULLITTs for it, since its a race car.

But yours is going to be street driven correct? Id say stick to the stock colors, like black, chrome, black chrome and anthracite.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
When you say silver painted do you mean chrome? Don't know of any Bullitts with silver painted rims. As far as I know they came in anthracite. chrome and black. No silver that I know of.
I think all 01 Bullitts came in silver.
Sometime in 02 or in 03 they switched to the darker silver color, anthracite.

I am curious as to what our color is called.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Ezekial said:
I think all 01 Bullitts came in silver.
Sometime in 02 or in 03 they switched to the darker silver color, anthracite.

I am curious as to what our color is called.
im not sure either. i thought it was considerd anthracite, just the color got a little darker in 02.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mr.BULLITT said:
I'll have to try & find some 4.6's around here with aftermarket exhaust systems to see what they sound like in "real life." I'm ashamed to admit that I have never heard a stock Bullitt in person :cry: but I have heard a few GT's with the loudmouth system. I must be in the minority here but I love the sound and the noise level doesn't bother me. It is quite possible that after the 20 hours of driving back from Alabama I will grow to love the exhaust that is already on the car. It currently has the stock catbacks with a Magnaflow catted x pipe. Time will tell...John R

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
droopysbullitt said:
When you say silver painted do you mean chrome? Don't know of any Bullitts with silver painted rims. As far as I know they came in anthracite. chrome and black. No silver that I know of.
There are a few companies out there making (selling) silver painted Bullitt wheels. Here is a link to AFS ebay store. They have 17" silver painted wheels that look great, but I have yet to see them on a Bullitt or any GT for that matter.

http://search.stores.ebay.com/AFS-Wheels_silver-17_W0QQfciZ15QQfclZ3QQfsnZAFSQ20WheelsQQfsooZ2QQfsopZ3QQfsubZ9QQftsZ2QQsaselZ8221336QQsatitleZsilverQ2017Q22QQsofpZ0

I was thinking the silver would closely match the brushed aluminum trim that adorns our cars...I just wish I could see some installed to help me decide.....John R
:cool:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mr.BULLITT said:
im not sure either. i thought it was considerd anthracite, just the color got a little darker in 02.
I think you are right Mr.Bullitt in saying the color is considered anthracite. I've always gone under the impression that the stock Bullitt wheel color is called anthracite. The exact color has morphed a bit since the Bullitt wheel type began, but it's still considered anthracite imho. :cool:

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
yeah that silver may look good. but i only really like silver or non-polished aluminum wheels when the lip is deeper than even our DD wheels and they are 20inch + and on a SUV,Pick up or big car.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mr.BULLITT said:
yeah that silver may look good. but i only really like silver or non-polished aluminum wheels when the lip is deeper than even our DD wheels and they are 20inch + and on a SUV,Pick up or big car.
If I knew for sure that the 18" anthracite deep dish wheels I could find would match the 9" wheels on the front I would just do that. But being the eternal pessemist I just don't have a lot of faith that the color will be a match. So I'm figuring on having to buy 4 wheels, and if I do that I might as well go with a tire size that I know I can replace rears at a reasonable price (315/35ZR17). Especially for the first few months I am going to want to "be in the boost" a bit. I'm pretty sure the first set of tires on #0005 will be sacrificed to the Vortech Gods. Heck I need to get a few pictures worthy of putting in my sig, don't I? Dont get me wrong, this car will be pampered for the most part, but on the few days I actually get to take it out of the garage up here I will drive it like these cars should be.:wink:

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Iwant1 said:
If I knew for sure that the 18" anthracite deep dish wheels I could find would match the 9" wheels on the front I would just do that. But being the eternal pessemist I just don't have a lot of faith that the color will be a match. So I'm figuring on having to buy 4 wheels, and if I do that I might as well go with a tire size that I know I can replace rears at a reasonable price (315/35ZR17). Especially for the first few months I am going to want to "be in the boost" a bit. I'm pretty sure the first set of tires on #0005 will be sacrificed to the Vortech Gods. Heck I need to get a few pictures worthy of putting in my sig, don't I? Dont get me wrong, this car will be pampered for the most part, but on the few days I actually get to take it out of the garage up here I will drive it like these cars should be.:wink:
any rim made after 02' is the darker anthracite. so they should match fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts